* Building SDK for macOS
@ 2019-08-20  8:53 Andy Pont
From: Andy Pont @ 2019-08-20  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

This may be a really dumb question but is it possible to generate an SDK
from a Yocto build that will allow cross compilation of an application
to be done on a machine running macOS?

-Andy.

* Re: Building SDK for macOS
@ 2019-08-20  9:13 ` Ross Burton
From: Ross Burton @ 2019-08-20  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

On 20/08/2019 09:53, Andy Pont wrote:
> This may be a really dumb question but is it possible to generate an SDK
> from a Yocto build that will allow cross compilation of an application
> to be done on a machine running macOS?

Yes, with caveats: http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-darwin

The caveats are that it's not especially pretty as you can't just
download macOS headers, and hasn't been used since 2015 so might need a
little updating.

I do wonder if https://github.com/darlinghq/darling has sufficient
headers/libraries to build what we need, instead of asking you to copy
pieces from a macOS install.

Ross

* Re: Building SDK for macOS
@ 2019-08-20  9:43   ` Ross Burton
From: Ross Burton @ 2019-08-20  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

On 20/08/2019 10:13, Ross Burton wrote:
> On 20/08/2019 09:53, Andy Pont wrote:
>> This may be a really dumb question but is it possible to generate an
>> SDK from a Yocto build that will allow cross compilation of an
>> application to be done on a machine running macOS?
>
> Yes, with caveats: http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-darwin
>
> The caveats are that it's not especially pretty as you can't just
> download macOS headers, and hasn't been used since 2015 so might need a
> little updating.

Did a little poking.

The need to build a SDK tarball on an existing macOS could probably be
removed by using one of the convenient tarballs from
https://github.com/phracker/MacOSX-SDKs/releases.

The SDK is 32-bit, which is going to be an issue on modern macOS systems.

The layer has several versioned bbappends which need updating to work
with recent releases.

None of this is insurmountable, meta-darwin has been used for products
in the past and with a little effort can be made to do so again.

Ross

* Re: Building SDK for macOS
@ 2019-08-21  9:05     ` Andy Pont
From: Andy Pont @ 2019-08-21  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ross Burton, yocto

Ross wrote...

>Did a little poking.
>
>The need to build a SDK tarball on an existing macOS could probably be removed by using one of the convenient tarballs from https://github.com/phracker/MacOSX-SDKs/releases.
>
>The SDK is 32-bit, which is going to be an issue on modern macOS systems.
>
>The layer has several versioned bbappends which need updating to work with recent releases.
>
>None of this is insurmountable, meta-darwin has been used for products in the past and with a little effort can be made to do so again.
Thanks for the feedback. If time allows I may take a look into some of
these issues and see if they are resolvable. In the meantime, I think a
headless Linux VM with SSH and NFS support enabled might be the quicker
route to follow.

-Andy.