On Sat, 03 Jan 2009 21:02:15 PST, Trent Piepho said: > resource pointer. Maybe "[]" or "[-]" would be better? A null MAC address > could be ":::::" or "x:x:x:x:x:x". "N.U.L.L" or "x.x.x.x" for a null IP4 > address. And so on. So the printout looks nicer when a NULL pointer isn't > a bug. Have to be careful for IPv6 addresses - '::' is a legal representation of an all-zeros address. Also, N.U.L.L. may give indigestion to logfile parsers that are expecting a numeric value in the IP address. It's however unclear whether we should pick something that doesn't have 3 periods in it, so it can't match, or whether *that* will give regexp-based logfile readers indigestion when they don't pick up an IP address where they expected... Do we want the %pI6 format to do the multiple-zeros -> :: compression? (Adding netdev to cc: list)