From: "Dušan Červenka | ACRIOS" <cervenka@acrios.com>
To: git@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Git merge improvement - "remove spaces/tabs from beginning of line and end of line"
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 00:25:10 +0200	[thread overview]

Greetings,

i was interested if you already considered this as feature, or if you may
consider this as good feature. I know that during merge every character need
be considered. And at the end it will be. I described my problem to another
developer and he named this feature as good noise merge reduction.

Issue:
Several times it happened that i added or removed condition in code but a lot
of code stayed. Only indention was changed. If there was also other change on
some line i had a conflict. And several times it happened that a lot of code
was appended instead of replaced (if some line was similar with same
indention). This made merging messed and confusing. If we would remove this
spaces noise from beginning and end, we could get more acquired merge. What do
you think? Of course this is only for looking for most matching lines. At the
end the code should keep all necessary spaces.

Thank you very much for your opinion.

--

Dušan Červenka | Software Developer
a: ACRIOS Systems s.r.o. | Razinova 2257/5 | Ostrava 700 30