On 24.08.20 15:14, Kevin Wolf wrote: > Am 25.06.2020 um 17:22 hat Max Reitz geschrieben: >> Parts of the block layer treat BDS.backing_file as if it were whatever >> the image header says (i.e., if it is a relative path, it is relative to >> the overlay), other parts treat it like a cache for >> bs->backing->bs->filename (relative paths are relative to the CWD). >> Considering bs->backing->bs->filename exists, let us make it mean the >> former. >> >> Among other things, this now allows the user to specify a base when >> using qemu-img to commit an image file in a directory that is not the >> CWD (assuming, everything uses relative filenames). >> >> Before this patch: >> >> $ ./qemu-img create -f qcow2 foo/bot.qcow2 1M >> $ ./qemu-img create -f qcow2 -b bot.qcow2 foo/mid.qcow2 >> $ ./qemu-img create -f qcow2 -b mid.qcow2 foo/top.qcow2 >> $ ./qemu-img commit -b mid.qcow2 foo/top.qcow2 >> qemu-img: Did not find 'mid.qcow2' in the backing chain of 'foo/top.qcow2' >> $ ./qemu-img commit -b foo/mid.qcow2 foo/top.qcow2 >> qemu-img: Did not find 'foo/mid.qcow2' in the backing chain of 'foo/top.qcow2' >> $ ./qemu-img commit -b $PWD/foo/mid.qcow2 foo/top.qcow2 >> qemu-img: Did not find '[...]/foo/mid.qcow2' in the backing chain of 'foo/top.qcow2' >> >> After this patch: >> >> $ ./qemu-img commit -b mid.qcow2 foo/top.qcow2 >> Image committed. >> $ ./qemu-img commit -b foo/mid.qcow2 foo/top.qcow2 >> qemu-img: Did not find 'foo/mid.qcow2' in the backing chain of 'foo/top.qcow2' >> $ ./qemu-img commit -b $PWD/foo/mid.qcow2 foo/top.qcow2 >> Image committed. >> >> With this change, bdrv_find_backing_image() must look at whether the >> user has overridden a BDS's backing file. If so, it can no longer use >> bs->backing_file, but must instead compare the given filename against >> the backing node's filename directly. >> >> Note that this changes the QAPI output for a node's backing_file. We >> had very inconsistent output there (sometimes what the image header >> said, sometimes the actual filename of the backing image). This >> inconsistent output was effectively useless, so we have to decide one >> way or the other. Considering that bs->backing_file usually at runtime >> contained the path to the image relative to qemu's CWD (or absolute), >> this patch changes QAPI's backing_file to always report the >> bs->backing->bs->filename from now on. If you want to receive the image >> header information, you have to refer to full-backing-filename. >> >> This necessitates a change to iotest 228. The interesting information >> it really wanted is the image header, and it can get that now, but it >> has to use full-backing-filename instead of backing_file. Because of >> this patch's changes to bs->backing_file's behavior, we also need some >> reference output changes. >> >> Along with the changes to bs->backing_file, stop updating >> BDS.backing_format in bdrv_backing_attach() as well. In order not to >> change our externally visible behavior (incompatibly), we have to let >> bdrv_query_image_info() try to get the image format from bs->backing if >> bs->backing_format is unset. (The QAPI schema describes >> backing-filename-format as "the format of the backing file", so it is >> not necessarily what the image header says, but just the format of the >> file referenced by backing-filename (if known).) > > Why is it okay to change backing-filename incompatibly, but not > backing-filename-format? I hope you’re asking the reverse, i.e. why I don’t change backing-filename-format, too. The answer to that is yeah, why not. :) > I would find it much more consistent if > ImageInfo reported the value from the header in both fields, and > BlockDeviceInfo reported the values actually in use. > > The QAPI schema described ImageInfo as "Information about a QEMU image > file" and runtime state really isn't information about an image file. > > If you want to know the probed image format, you can still look at > backing-image.format. I don't think this change is much different from > what you described above for BlockDeviceInfo.backing_file. Well, OK then. Max