Although this is now fixed in master, I was wondering why this doesn't seem to be a problem in dunfell. In dunfell, sstate packages are unpacked with "tar -xvzf", no -p flag, but still my buildhistory doesn't show any noise when doing: bitbake -c cleansstate shadow-native && bitbake shadow-native && bitbake -c clean shadow-native && bitbake shadow-native After dunfell was the switch to tar+zstd, but I don't understand why that would change the extracted permissions. If anyone has got a clue, i'd be interested to know why. Jacob (testing the message reply function from the archived mailing list)