* List of changes for Kirkstone migration notes
@ 2022-03-10 10:25 Michael Opdenacker
From: Michael Opdenacker @ 2022-03-10 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greetings

We need to prepare the final migration notes for Kirkstone and need your
help. Here is a quick list of already documented changes (see
https://git.yoctoproject.org/yocto-docs/tree/documentation/migration-guides/migration-3.5.rst),
and changes that haven't been documented yet:

Already documented
- Branch name required in git:// and gitsm:// SRC_URI entries
- ";protocol=https" required at the end of GitHub URLs
- Network access disabled for tasks
- TOPDIR and current directory no longer modified while parsing recipes
- ``append``, ``prepend`` and ``remove`` only working with "=" and ":="
- allarch packagegroups can no longer depend on packages using PKG renaming
- distutils* classes moved to meta-python
- `blacklist.bbclass`` removed and introduction of SKIP_RECIPE

Not documented yet
- Shared State reuse from the autobuilder, speeding up builds if the
network is fast enough
- License fields now using SPDX identifiers
- Inclusive language updates, conversion script available
- Python build process based on wheels. New python packaging classes:
setuptools_build_meta.bbclass, pip_install_wheel.bbclass,
flit_core.bbclass;
- prelink support dropped
- New overlayfs and overlayfs-etc classes
- Support for AlmaLinux replacing CentOS, dropped CentOS 8, Ubuntu
16.04, Fedora 30-32...
- State cache: use ZStandard (zstd) instead of Gzip compression
- Fixed the reproducibility issues with rust-llvm and golang. Full
reprocibility in OE-Core
- BitBake: improve setscene task display
- New "crate" fetcher for Rust

Any noteworthy changes we should add to the list? I also realize that
some of the changes probably shouldn't make it to the migration notes,
just to the release notes. If so, let us know.

Don't hesitate to amend the above list by replying to this e-mail.
Documentation patches are also welcome, of course.

Thanks in advance,
Michael.

--
Michael Opdenacker, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering

* Re: [OE-core] List of changes for Kirkstone migration notes
@ 2022-03-21 15:22 ` Marta Rybczynska
From: Marta Rybczynska @ 2022-03-21 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Mar 10, 2022 at 11:25 AM Michael Opdenacker via
lists.openembedded.org <michael.opdenacker=
bootlin.com@lists.openembedded.org> wrote:

> Greetings
>
> We need to prepare the final migration notes for Kirkstone and need your
> help. Here is a quick list of already documented changes (see
>
> https://git.yoctoproject.org/yocto-docs/tree/documentation/migration-guides/migration-3.5.rst
> ),
> and changes that haven't been documented yet:
>
> Already documented
> - Branch name required in git:// and gitsm:// SRC_URI entries
> - ";protocol=https" required at the end of GitHub URLs
> - Network access disabled for tasks
> - TOPDIR and current directory no longer modified while parsing recipes
> - ``append``, ``prepend`` and ``remove`` only working with "=" and ":="
> - allarch packagegroups can no longer depend on packages using PKG renaming
> - distutils* classes moved to meta-python
> - `blacklist.bbclass`` removed and introduction of SKIP_RECIPE
>

> Not documented yet
> - Shared State reuse from the autobuilder, speeding up builds if the
> network is fast enough
> - License fields now using SPDX identifiers
> - Inclusive language updates, conversion script available
> - Python build process based on wheels. New python packaging classes:
> setuptools_build_meta.bbclass, pip_install_wheel.bbclass,
> flit_core.bbclass;
> - prelink support dropped
> - New overlayfs and overlayfs-etc classes
> - Support for AlmaLinux replacing CentOS, dropped CentOS 8, Ubuntu
> 16.04, Fedora 30-32...
> - State cache: use ZStandard (zstd) instead of Gzip compression
> - Fixed the reproducibility issues with rust-llvm and golang. Full
> reprocibility in OE-Core
> - BitBake: improve setscene task display
> - New "crate" fetcher for Rust

Heads up: I'm on the inclusive language migration + migration script docs.

Regards,
Marta

* Re: [OE-core] List of changes for Kirkstone migration notes
@ 2022-03-22  8:53   ` Michael Opdenacker
From: Michael Opdenacker @ 2022-03-22  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Marta

On 3/21/22 16:22, Marta Rybczynska wrote:

> Heads up: I'm on the inclusive language migration + migration script docs.

Thanks for helping!
You probably have seen
https://git.yoctoproject.org/yocto-docs/commit/?h=master-next&id=a6650fd55259c5d7cf3cf9579e9ecd1184b1b155
which was merged yesterday, but you can probably expand or improve what
I wrote.

Thanks again
Michael.

--

@ 2022-03-22 12:02     ` Marta Rybczynska
From: Marta Rybczynska @ 2022-03-22 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Mar 22, 2022 at 9:53 AM Michael Opdenacker
<michael.opdenacker@bootlin.com> wrote:

> Hi Marta
>
> On 3/21/22 16:22, Marta Rybczynska wrote:
>
> > Heads up: I'm on the inclusive language migration + migration script docs.
>

> Thanks for helping!
> You probably have seen
> https://git.yoctoproject.org/yocto-docs/commit/?h=master-next&id=a6650fd55259c5d7cf3cf9579e9ecd1184b1b155
> which was merged yesterday, but you can probably expand or improve what
> I wrote.

I will extend it, thanks for starting it!

Kind regards,
Marta