* [Xenomai] Generating the documentation
@ 2015-06-15  8:28 Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda
From: Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda @ 2015-06-15  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

Hi,

I try to generate the documentation (2.6.4, official tarball) using:

./configure --enable-dox-doc

and I have found that make -jX with X >= 2 fails:

and I got this message:

make[2]: Entering directory
'/srv/drp/packages/xenomai/xenomai.git/build/doc/doxygen'
doxygen
make[2]: *** No rule to make target 'api/search', needed by 'all-local'.
Stop.

so, IMHO there's something wrong in the dependencies. Then, I would like
kindly to ask to upstream if you can:

- review the generation of the documentation, to avoid this error.

or if it's not obvious,

please add "make doc" target and take out from the default rule to be able to
do:

- make -jX (>=2)
- make -j1 doc

Best regards,

Leopold

Linux User 152692     GPG: 05F4A7A949A2D9AA
Catalonia
-------------------------------------
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
* Re: [Xenomai] Generating the documentation
@ 2015-06-15  8:47 ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2015-06-15  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda; +Cc: xenomai

Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I try to generate the documentation (2.6.4, official tarball) using:
>
> ./configure --enable-dox-doc
>
> and I have found that make -jX with X >= 2 fails:
>
> and I got this message:
>
> make[2]: Entering directory
> '/srv/drp/packages/xenomai/xenomai.git/build/doc/doxygen'
> doxygen
> make[2]: *** No rule to make target 'api/search', needed by 'all-local'.
> Stop.
>

> so, IMHO there's something wrong in the dependencies. Then, I would like
> kindly to ask to upstream if you can:
>
> - review the generation of the documentation, to avoid this error.
>
> or if it's not obvious,
>
> please add "make doc" target and take out from the default rule to be able
> do:
>
> - make -jX (>=2)
> - make -j1 doc
>
> Best regards,

The documentation generation is reserved to the maintainer. Why do you
need it?

--
                                            Gilles.
https://click-hack.org

* Re: [Xenomai] Generating the documentation
@ 2015-06-15  9:02   ` Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda
From: Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda @ 2015-06-15  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilles Chanteperdrix; +Cc: xenomai

El Dilluns, 15 de juny de 2015, a les 10:47:36, Gilles Chanteperdrix va
escriure:
> Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I try to generate the documentation (2.6.4, official tarball) using:
> >
> > ./configure --enable-dox-doc
> >
> > and I have found that make -jX with X >= 2 fails:
> >
> > and I got this message:
> >
> > make[2]: Entering directory
> > '/srv/drp/packages/xenomai/xenomai.git/build/doc/doxygen'
> > doxygen
> > make[2]: *** No rule to make target 'api/search', needed by 'all-local'.
> > Stop.
> > make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
> >

> > so, IMHO there's something wrong in the dependencies. Then, I would like
> > kindly to ask to upstream if you can:
> >
> > - review the generation of the documentation, to avoid this error.
> >
> > or if it's not obvious,
> >
> > please add "make doc" target and take out from the default rule to be able
> > do:
> >
> > - make -jX (>=2)
> > - make -j1 doc
> >
> > Best regards,
>
> The documentation generation is reserved to the maintainer. Why do you
> need it?

because it's recommended generate the documentation when you create the debian
package. That's all.

Leopold

Linux User 152692     GPG: 05F4A7A949A2D9AA
Catalonia
-------------------------------------
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

* Re: [Xenomai] Generating the documentation
@ 2015-06-15  9:09     ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2015-06-15  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda; +Cc: xenomai

Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
> El Dilluns, 15 de juny de 2015, a les 10:47:36, Gilles Chanteperdrix va
> escriure:
>> Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I try to generate the documentation (2.6.4, official tarball) using:
>> >
>> > ./configure --enable-dox-doc
>> >
>> > and I have found that make -jX with X >= 2 fails:
>> >
>> > and I got this message:
>> >
>> > make[2]: Entering directory
>> > '/srv/drp/packages/xenomai/xenomai.git/build/doc/doxygen'
>> > doxygen
>> > make[2]: *** No rule to make target 'api/search', needed by
>> 'all-local'.
>> > Stop.
>> > make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
>> >

>> > so, IMHO there's something wrong in the dependencies. Then, I would
>> like
>> > kindly to ask to upstream if you can:
>> >
>> > - review the generation of the documentation, to avoid this error.
>> >
>> > or if it's not obvious,
>> >
>> > please add "make doc" target and take out from the default rule to be
>> able
>> > do:
>> >
>> > - make -jX (>=2)
>> > - make -j1 doc
>> >
>> > Best regards,
>>
>> The documentation generation is reserved to the maintainer. Why do you
>> need it?
>
> because it's recommended generate the documentation when you create the
> debian
> package. That's all.

The generated documentation is included in the source tree, so if you do
not pass --enable-*-doc options, a documentation is still present. I would
recommend you use that doc, it is guaranteed to be generated by me for
every release.

Failing that, submit a patch that arranges the things how you need them.
Note that some work may be needed, because notably the asciidoc
documentation generation assumes how asciidoc is installed on my machine,
and not how it is installed on Debian.

--
                                            Gilles.
https://click-hack.org

* Re: [Xenomai] Generating the documentation
@ 2015-06-15  9:49 ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2015-06-15  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda; +Cc: xenomai

Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I try to generate the documentation (2.6.4, official tarball) using:

Also, spending time on 2.6 is probably a waste of time. This branch is in
deep maintenance mode now. We will probably not apply patches unless they
fix some serious bugs.

--
                                            Gilles.
https://click-hack.org

* Re: [Xenomai] Generating the documentation
@ 2015-06-15 11:01       ` Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda
From: Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda @ 2015-06-15 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilles Chanteperdrix; +Cc: xenomai

El Dilluns, 15 de juny de 2015, a les 11:09:39, Gilles Chanteperdrix va
escriure:
> Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
> > El Dilluns, 15 de juny de 2015, a les 10:47:36, Gilles Chanteperdrix va
> >
> > escriure:

> >> 'all-local'.

> >> like

> >> able

> >> The documentation generation is reserved to the maintainer. Why do you
> >> need it?
> >
> > because it's recommended generate the documentation when you create the
> > debian
> > package. That's all.
>
> The generated documentation is included in the source tree, so if you do
> not pass --enable-*-doc options, a documentation is still present. I would
> recommend you use that doc, it is guaranteed to be generated by me for
> every release.

Ok, I will use that.

> Failing that, submit a patch that arranges the things how you need them.
> Note that some work may be needed, because notably the asciidoc
> documentation generation assumes how asciidoc is installed on my machine,
> and not how it is installed on Debian.

Yes, I thought that.

Best regards,

Leopold

Linux User 152692     GPG: 05F4A7A949A2D9AA
Catalonia
-------------------------------------
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
* Re: [Xenomai] Generating the documentation
@ 2015-06-15 11:04   ` Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda
From: Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda @ 2015-06-15 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilles Chanteperdrix; +Cc: xenomai

El Dilluns, 15 de juny de 2015, a les 11:49:46, Gilles Chanteperdrix va
escriure:
> Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > I try to generate the documentation (2.6.4, official tarball) using:
> Also, spending time on 2.6 is probably a waste of time. This branch is in
> deep maintenance mode now. We will probably not apply patches unless they
> fix some serious bugs.

I know, but AFAIK the _only_ official stable release of xenomai is 2.6.4.
Xenomai-3 is release candidate.

Leopold

[1] http://download.gna.org/xenomai/stable/latest/

Linux User 152692     GPG: 05F4A7A949A2D9AA
Catalonia
-------------------------------------
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
* Re: [Xenomai] Generating the documentation
@ 2015-06-15 12:44     ` Gilles Chanteperdrix
From: Gilles Chanteperdrix @ 2015-06-15 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda; +Cc: xenomai

Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
> El Dilluns, 15 de juny de 2015, a les 11:49:46, Gilles Chanteperdrix va
> escriure:
>> Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
>> > Hi,
>>
>> > I try to generate the documentation (2.6.4, official tarball) using:
>> Also, spending time on 2.6 is probably a waste of time. This branch is
>> in
>> deep maintenance mode now. We will probably not apply patches unless
>> they
>> fix some serious bugs.
>
> I know, but AFAIK the _only_ official stable release of xenomai is 2.6.4.
> Xenomai-3 is release candidate.

Yes, but by the time you are finished revamping the packaging of Xenomai
2.6.4, chances are that 3.0 will be the stable release, and you will have
to start all over again with 3.0.

--
                                            Gilles.
https://click-hack.org