From: David Russell <david.russell73@gmail.com>
To: Tony Lindgren <tony@atomide.com>
Cc: "Woodruff, Richard" <r-woodruff2@ti.com>,
	"linux-omap@vger.kernel.org" <linux-omap@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] OMAP2430 kernel hangs on ioremap of IVA2.1 addresses
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 05:54:20 -0700	[thread overview]

Good Morning,

I have been upgrading a legacy project that runs on an OMAP2430 based on the linux-omap repo (tag v2.6.28-omap1) to mainline v5.10; I have been able to get the main application running, however I am concerned there are potentially many underlying issues I have not corrected nor even seen yet.  I recalled Tony’s comment that the part is dated (of course there is no argument from me there) to the point that I am not sure to what extent anyone has used the latest mainline on an OMAP2xxx part (i.e., regression testing).

I am hopeful someone has a good suggestion to the following question:  what mainline kernel version would be considered the most stable in regards to an OMAP2430 processor that may also include the TI WL18xx wifi driver?  Or if they do not overlap, simply what is the latest mainline kernel version that would be most stable for OMAP2xxx?  I am just afraid the v5.10 and v4.19 are so new that there are underlying issues that would take significant time to chase down; but if I can roll-back to an older version (yet newer than 2.6.28), that might get me closer to where I need to be.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Dave