* IRQ related query
@ 2021-07-29 12:50 Patrick Regnouf
From: Patrick Regnouf @ 2021-07-29 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-iio

Hello,

Please someone tell me whether this is the right mailing list to ask questions related to actually using libiio or actually please point me in the right direction

To summarise I am looking for C source code that would capture an IRQ emitted by an iio accelerometer (LSM6DSLTR) all of that using libiio

I have successfully implemented a program that can read the x, y and z axis but that means polling constantly. Not an option…  the iio_device_set_trigger however returns “no such file or directory “

Thanks

/Patrick

* Re: IRQ related query
@ 2021-07-30  6:55 ` Alexandru Ardelean
From: Alexandru Ardelean @ 2021-07-30  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Regnouf; +Cc: linux-iio

On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 3:54 PM Patrick Regnouf <patrick@patricknet.net> wrote:

> Hello,

[I did not hit Reply All on my first email]

Hey,

For libiio in particular, it's on Github:
https://github.com/analogdevicesinc/libiio

I think you could raise some questions as issues there.

And there's also a wiki that can be browsed:
https://wiki.analog.com/resources/tools-software/linux-software/libiio
https://wiki.analog.com/resources/tools-software/linux-software/libiio_internals

Now, regarding IIO events support in libiio, I am not sure [at this
point in time] whether support is implemented.

But an example of getting events from IIO can be found here:
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/tools/iio/iio_event_monitor.c

The https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/tools/iio/  folder
in the kernel should offer some basic bits about accessing IIO
devices, and getting events [which can be driver IRQ events, or kernel
IIO polling]

I was going to answer on the previous question that you raised, but I forgot.
Apologies. It's been a busy week.

Alex

> Please someone tell me whether this is the right mailing list to ask questions related to actually using libiio or actually please point me in the right direction
>
> To summarise I am looking for C source code that would capture an IRQ emitted by an iio accelerometer (LSM6DSLTR) all of that using libiio
>
> I have successfully implemented a program that can read the x, y and z axis but that means polling constantly. Not an option…  the iio_device_set_trigger however returns “no such file or directory “
>
> Thanks
>
> /Patrick

* Re: IRQ related query
@ 2021-07-30  8:03   ` patrick
From: patrick @ 2021-07-30  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandru Ardelean; +Cc: linux-iio

Alex,

Thank you so very much for your help, I browsed most of that
litterature already and the kernel side of it is very much covered,
understood and assimilated.

However my question is basically: How can I be alerted, for example
through a callback function, when an interruption occurs in the kernel
space and my daemon lives in userspace.

IRQ Occuring -------> Upper half of the interrupt(put the timestamp in
the buffer) ---------> Lower half of the interrupt handler (read data
and adds the timestamp in the buffer) -----------> ???? userspace
daemon (async callback of some description) that will write a log on
the HD.

I have everything up to the daemon part written and working, I seem to
understand that through libiio you can assign a trigger to a
particular channel or attribute but that is where I get stuck.

Litterature on the libiio (most notably its wiki) has a chapter on
triggers that is 4 lines long ... not very helpful to say the least.

iioinfo lists the devices present in the LSM6DSLTR (18 devices
including two triggers) and I have been unable to assign the triggers
to any device that they are not assigned to already (No such file or
directory) which I gather refer to the absence of the trigger
directory in the sysfs for that  particular device.

I also gather that the sysfs directory is, of course, slave to the
kernel device tree and that the creation of that part of the device
tree is made as the driver is loaded.

So there must be a way to alter that part of the sysfs filesystem by
asking the kernel driver to provision a device in the context to
implement the trigger directory so we can assign a trigger to it

second part will be to slave that trigger to an actual IRQ (42 in my
case - as listed in /proc/interrupts) and be alerted in the  userspace
daemon when a thresold has been reached in terms of either
acceleration or vibration ...

Well, this is the nuts and bolts of what I am trying to achieve. the
last part will be to write a few registers on the chip to configure
how and when IRQ will occur for any given integrated devices.

Sorry to be such a pain but I thnk my problem lies in the passage of
information from kernel space (very well documented) to the userspace
(could not find reasonable documention and/or C code examples on how
to achieve this)

Thnks again

/Patrick

Quoting Alexandru Ardelean <ardeleanalex@gmail.com>:

> On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 3:54 PM Patrick Regnouf
> <patrick@patricknet.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>

> [I did not hit Reply All on my first email]
>
> Hey,
>
> For libiio in particular, it's on Github:
> https://github.com/analogdevicesinc/libiio
>
> I think you could raise some questions as issues there.
>
> And there's also a wiki that can be browsed:
> https://wiki.analog.com/resources/tools-software/linux-software/libiio
> https://wiki.analog.com/resources/tools-software/linux-software/libiio_internals
>
> Now, regarding IIO events support in libiio, I am not sure [at point
> in time] whether support is implemented.
>
> But an example of getting events from IIO can be found here:
> https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/tools/iio/iio_event_monitor.c
>
> The https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/tools/iio/  folder
> in the kernel should offer some basic bits about accessing IIO
> devices, and getting events [which can be driver IRQ events, or kernel
> IIO polling]
>
> I was going to answer on the previous question that you raised, but I forgot.
> Apologies. It's been a busy week.
>
> Alex
>
>> Please someone tell me whether this is the right mailing list to
>> ask questions related to actually using libiio or actually please
>> point me in the right direction
>>
>> To summarise I am looking for C source code that would capture an
>> IRQ emitted by an iio accelerometer (LSM6DSLTR) all of that using
>> libiio
>>
>> I have successfully implemented a program that can read the x, y
>> and z axis but that means polling constantly. Not an option…  the
>> iio_device_set_trigger however returns “no such file or directory “
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> /Patrick

* Re: IRQ related query
@ 2021-07-30  8:44     ` Alexandru Ardelean
From: Alexandru Ardelean @ 2021-07-30  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Regnouf; +Cc: linux-iio

On Fri, Jul 30, 2021 at 11:03 AM <patrick@patricknet.net> wrote:

> [...]
> > https://github.com/analogdevicesinc/libiio
> >
> > I think you could raise some questions as issues there.
> >
> > And there's also a wiki that can be browsed:
> > https://wiki.analog.com/resources/tools-software/linux-software/libiio
> > https://wiki.analog.com/resources/tools-software/linux-software/libiio_internals
> >
> > Now, regarding IIO events support in libiio, I am not sure [at point
> > in time] whether support is implemented.
> >
> > But an example of getting events from IIO can be found here:
> > https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/tools/iio/iio_event_monitor.c
> >
> > The https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/tools/iio/  folder
> > in the kernel should offer some basic bits about accessing IIO
> > devices, and getting events [which can be driver IRQ events, or kernel
> > IIO polling]
> >
> > I was going to answer on the previous question that you raised, but I forgot.

Wait, I'm confusing/mixing triggers and events [in my head].
Apologies. I'm still processing the coffee I ingested 1-2h ago.

libiio supports triggers. But not events.

However, the driver for LSM6DSLTR (i.e. the one here
drivers/iio/imu/st_lsm6dsx) doesn't register any IIO triggers.
So, there's nothing for libiio [or any userspace tool] to hook into
for triggers.

There's an IRQ handler and IRQ thread-handler, but nothing to link
these to IIO framework triggers.
This needs to be implemented in the driver.
An example of how IIO kernel triggers should be implemented in the
driver is in drivers/iio/accel/adxl372.c and drivers/iio/imu/adis***
drivers.

> > Alex
> >
> >> Please someone tell me whether this is the right mailing list to
> >> ask questions related to actually using libiio or actually please
> >> point me in the right direction
> >>
> >> To summarise I am looking for C source code that would capture an
> >> IRQ emitted by an iio accelerometer (LSM6DSLTR) all of that using
> >> libiio
> >>
> >> I have successfully implemented a program that can read the x, y
> >> and z axis but that means polling constantly. Not an option…  the
> >> iio_device_set_trigger however returns “no such file or directory “
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> /Patrick

* Re: IRQ related query
@ 2021-07-30 10:08       ` Patrick Regnouf
From: Patrick Regnouf @ 2021-07-30 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandru Ardelean; +Cc: linux-iio

Alex,

Thank you so much for clarifying this. It surely explains why I couldn’t find any documentation on how to do that!!!

Seems like, taking this in account,  we are going to go the i2c route…

Thanks again

/Patrick

* Re: IRQ related query
@ 2021-07-30 13:38         ` Jonathan Cameron
From: Jonathan Cameron @ 2021-07-30 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Regnouf; +Cc: Alexandru Ardelean, linux-iio, Denis Ciocca

On Fri, 30 Jul 2021 11:08:54 +0100
> [...]

> >> (could not find reasonable documention and/or C code examples on how
> >> to achieve this)
> >>
> >> Thnks again
> >>
> >> /Patrick

> > Wait, I'm confusing/mixing triggers and events [in my head].
> > Apologies. I'm still processing the coffee I ingested 1-2h ago.
> >
> > libiio supports triggers. But not events.
> >
> > However, the driver for LSM6DSLTR (i.e. the one here
> > drivers/iio/imu/st_lsm6dsx) doesn't register any IIO triggers.
> > So, there's nothing for libiio [or any userspace tool] to hook into
> > for triggers.
> >
> > There's an IRQ handler and IRQ thread-handler, but nothing to link
> > these to IIO framework triggers.
> > This needs to be implemented in the driver.
> > An example of how IIO kernel triggers should be implemented in the
> > driver is in drivers/iio/accel/adxl372.c and drivers/iio/imu/adis***

The reason this device driver doesn't present a trigger is because the
hardware uses a rather sophisticated hardware fifo and those don't map
to a trigger (which tends to be one trigger per channel scan).

As such, based on the watermarks, data is pushed directly into the buffers.

So assuming your irq above is the one that the hardware is using to signal
events, then ignore triggers entirely - you don't need one here.

Userspace is ultimately able to use poll / select to be notified of
new data entering the software fifo, unfortunately I don't know how
libiio handles hardware fifo equipped devices.  The in kernel tree
https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/source/tools/iio/iio_generic_buffer.c
will handle this case fine with the -g parameter, though you may
want to poke appropriately small values into the watermark sysfs
files as well so you get data with lower latency.

Jonathan