Hi, I've tested the given example on the branch Zeus and it works fine. Here the hierarchy : [pfontaine@precision recipes-myhello]$ tree -L 3 . └── myhello     ├── files     │   └── myhello.c     └── myhello.bb 2 directories, 2 files The error that Bitbake gives you could be because you may have no "myhello" directory under a recipes directory. Also, I suggest you to not mix "hello" and "myhello" when you name files. Hope it will help you to fix your issue. Pierre Fontaine. Le 19/01/2020 à 09:10, ran junk a écrit : > hello. i am a newbie with yocto. i am need to create my custom app. i > have gone over a number of tutorials but my app stills fails to be > compiled. > i am trying to compile it with the yocto and not the toolchain. i have > done as is written in > http://variwiki.com/index.php?title=Yocto_Hello_World > 1) created a hello.bb file > 2) added the directory files and added my hello.c code. > I try and run it with bitbake myhello and i get ERROR: Nothing > RPROVIDES 'myhello'. could you tell me what am i missing? > thanks > >