* man pthread_join(3)
@ 2022-02-10  0:42 hk
From: hk @ 2022-02-10  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mtk.manpages, alx.manpages; +Cc: linux-man

Good day

I'm not sure that is a bug or I'm missing something, but still.

There is man-page for pthread_join() function and in its "ERRORS" section one
error code - EINVAL - is mentioned twice with different causes, so I have doubts
about how to handle such of an error.

Here is a link https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man3/pthread_join.3.html

Could you correct that if it is a mistype? Or, may be add some kind of
explanation for that kind of situation.

--
with best regards,
Aitch Kay

GnuPG/DSA-ELG fingerprint:
C697 A07B DEE0 B000 2C3D 870D 9FBC 20C8 50ED 247F

* Re: man pthread_join(3)
@ 2022-02-10 22:29 ` Alejandro Colomar (man-pages)
From: Alejandro Colomar (man-pages) @ 2022-02-10 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hk, G. Branden Robinson; +Cc: linux-man, mtk.manpages

[CC += Branden]

Hello Aitch,

On 2/10/22 01:42, hk wrote:
> Good day
>
> I'm not sure that is a bug or I'm missing something, but still.
>
> There is man-page for pthread_join() function and in its "ERRORS"
> section one
> error code - EINVAL - is mentioned twice with different causes, so I
> have doubts
> about how to handle such of an error.
>
> Here is a link https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man3/pthread_join.3.html
>
> Could you correct that if it is a mistype? Or, may be add some kind of
> explanation for that kind of situation.

It's just that there's more than one reason you could get that error.

Other Unix systems' manual pages also use this syntax[1][2].  At first
it also seemed weird to me, I'll admit.

I don't know if some other syntax could be easier to read/understand...

Maybe something like:

[
EXXX   Reason for EXXX.

EYYY

       * One reason for EYYY.

       * Another reason for EYYY.
]

[1]:
<https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=open&apropos=0&sektion=2&manpath=FreeBSD+13.0-RELEASE+and+Ports&arch=default&format=html#ERRORS>

[2]: <https://man.openbsd.org/open.2#ERRORS>

Thanks,

Alex

--
Alejandro Colomar
Linux man-pages comaintainer; https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/

* Re: man pthread_join(3)
@ 2022-02-11 22:13   ` hk
From: hk @ 2022-02-11 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alejandro Colomar (man-pages), G. Branden Robinson
  Cc: linux-man, mtk.manpages

Ah, now I understand, thank you very much. I'm not sure I can give advice on how
to describe such cases, but I believe it would be clearer if an indented list or
some other more explicit representation of "OR" is used.