* [Buildroot] More work on a package updates checking tool
@ 2013-12-19 16:21 arnaud aujon
From: arnaud aujon @ 2013-12-19 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi there,

I did more work on a tool to check if packages are up-to-date.
This is still a dev script, so kind of ugly, but the output is really
better, even if there is still some false detections.

generated html : http://intelibre.fr/buildroot/out.html
script : http://intelibre.fr/buildroot/check-updates.py
everything else : http://intelibre.fr/buildroot/

Hope you can find some interests in it.

Best,

Arnaud
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [Buildroot] More work on a package updates checking tool
@ 2013-12-19 17:02 ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2013-12-19 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Dear arnaud aujon,

On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 17:21:35 +0100, arnaud aujon wrote:

> I did more work on a tool to check if packages are up-to-date.
> This is still a dev script, so kind of ugly, but the output is really
> better, even if there is still some false detections.
>
> generated html : http://intelibre.fr/buildroot/out.html
> script : http://intelibre.fr/buildroot/check-updates.py
> everything else : http://intelibre.fr/buildroot/
>
> Hope you can find some interests in it.

This is *really* cool.

Now, I'd like to see this integrated in Buildroot and in the autobuild
infrastructure. Currently, the autobuild infrastructure executes the
support/scripts/pkg-stats shell script everyday, and the result is
visible at http://autobuild.buildroot.org/stats/.

So, what would be really great is to slightly enhance your script to
also make it display what pkg-stats is showing in terms of informations:

 * Infrastructure used by the package
 * Whether it's target, target+host, or host
 * Number of patches
 * Whether it has license info, and license files info

And next to it, add your "current version", "latest available version",
"provider" and "status" informations.

Once your script does that, we can simply throw away the pkg-stats
shell script, and replace it with your new Python-based pkg-stats
script that does all the version checking, and we can commit it in the
Buildroot tree.

Other things to do / look at :

 * Integrate the template.html contents directly in the script itself,
   using a multiline string:

template = """
<head>
  <title>Buildroot packages updates</title>
  <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style.css"/>
  <script type="text/javascript" src="jquery-2.0.3.min.js"></script>
  <script type="text/javascript" src="jquery.tablesorter.min.js"></script>
  <script type="text/javascript">
"""

   This way, we avoid the dependency on template.html

 * Use URLs to public version of the jquery code and the tablesorter
   plugin, so we are not forced to add these in the Buildroot tree as
   well.

 * Understand why your script analyses "only" 862 packages, while the
   current pkg-stats script finds 1165 packages.

Another bonus point if you add an option to the script (like pkg-stats
-t) that would generate a text-only output that we could mail to the
mailing list every week or so (a bit like the autobuilder results).

Are you interested in doing this? If so, then I'll be more than happy
to deploy your pkg-stats script on autobuild.buildroot.org, as a
replacement to the current one.

Best regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

* [Buildroot] More work on a package updates checking tool
@ 2013-12-19 17:59   ` arnaud aujon
From: arnaud aujon @ 2013-12-19 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Thomas,

Thanks for the review and the comments.
I'm going to update the script according to your comments and I will do
some clean up.
About the package number, the script is currently only checking target
packages, It was just to have less packages to handle at the beginning, I
will update that too.

Best,

Arnaud

@ 2013-12-20  9:43 ` Jerzy Grzegorek
From: Jerzy Grzegorek @ 2013-12-20  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Arnaud,

> Hi there,
>
> I did more work on a tool to check if packages are up-to-date.
> This is still a dev script, so kind of ugly, but the output is really
> better, even if there is still some false detections.
>
> generated html : http://intelibre.fr/buildroot/out.html

My suggestion is that in the case of commit ID's, to display only the
first 7 hex characters, e.g. 1234567... .
If the first 7 hex characters of current and last version are the same,
the background color will indicate the difference.

Regards,
Jerzy

@ 2013-12-20 10:41   ` arnaud aujon
From: arnaud aujon @ 2013-12-20 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Jerzy,

2013/12/20 Jerzy Grzegorek <jerzy.grzegorek@trzebnica.net>

> My suggestion is that in the case of commit ID's, to display only the
> first 7 hex characters, e.g. 1234567... .
> If the first 7 hex characters of current and last version are the same,
> the background color will indicate the difference.
>
> Regards,
> Jerzy

That's a good idea, it will be way more readable that way.

@ 2014-02-02 11:19     ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2014-02-02 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Dear arnaud aujon,

On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 18:59:48 +0100, arnaud aujon wrote:

> Thanks for the review and the comments.
> I'm going to update the script according to your comments and I will do
> some clean up.
> About the package number, the script is currently only checking target
> packages, It was just to have less packages to handle at the beginning, I
> will update that too.

Do you have any news about this work? It would be really useful to have
this to replace http://autobuild.buildroot.org/stats/, and have the
very useful informations of which packages might be upgraded to a newer
upstream version.

Have you had some time to work on this? Any progress?

Thanks a lot!

Thomas
--

@ 2014-02-03  8:52       ` arnaud aujon
From: arnaud aujon @ 2014-02-03  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

> Do you have any news about this work? It would be really useful to have
> this to replace http://autobuild.buildroot.org/stats/, and have the
> very useful informations of which packages might be upgraded to a newer
> upstream version.
>
> Have you had some time to work on this? Any progress?

I'm still working on it, I spent some time rewriting it in a more pythonic
way.
There is still some clean up to do but I will be able to provide a version
pretty soon.

Regards,

@ 2014-02-03 17:27         ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2014-02-03 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Dear arnaud aujon,

On Mon, 3 Feb 2014 09:52:29 +0100, arnaud aujon wrote:

> I'm still working on it, I spent some time rewriting it in a more pythonic
> way.
> There is still some clean up to do but I will be able to provide a version
> pretty soon.

Excellent, thanks! Looking forward to it!

Thomas
--

@ 2014-03-01 23:30         ` Thomas Petazzoni
       [not found]           ` <CACjG4BK3NRcQXMZOsMTRes6mJxD9LTFGwkzT8JdF7DOa2grs_Q@mail.gmail.com>
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2014-03-01 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Dear arnaud aujon,

On Mon, 3 Feb 2014 09:52:29 +0100, arnaud aujon wrote:

> > Do you have any news about this work? It would be really useful to have
> > this to replace http://autobuild.buildroot.org/stats/, and have the
> > very useful informations of which packages might be upgraded to a newer
> > upstream version.
> >
> > Have you had some time to work on this? Any progress?
>
> I'm still working on it, I spent some time rewriting it in a more pythonic
> way.
> There is still some clean up to do but I will be able to provide a version
> pretty soon.

Any news? :-)

Thanks!

Thomas
--

@ 2014-04-06 14:23             ` Arnaud Aujon
From: Arnaud Aujon @ 2014-04-06 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Thomas,

Sorry, looks like I miss your previous email...
I'm still happy to work on this, my 'pretty soon' took more time than I
expected, but it's ready now.
See the patch in the other email for more details.

Le 06/04/2014 15:53, arnaud aujon a ?crit?: