* paravirtualization
@ 2007-02-12 13:02 Omar Khan
       [not found] ` <loom.20070212T135708-765-eS7Uydv5nfjZ+VzJOa5vwg@public.gmane.org>
From: Omar Khan @ 2007-02-12 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

The paravirtualization announcement by Ingo Molnar said that:

- it provides an ad-hoc paravirtualization hypercall API between a Linux
  guest and a Linux host. (this will be replaced with a proper
  hypercall later on.)

Is it possible to modify a non-linux guest to take advantage of this hypercall
API? or are there conditions that prevent us from doing this?

Omar

* Re: paravirtualization
       [not found] ` <loom.20070212T135708-765-eS7Uydv5nfjZ+VzJOa5vwg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2007-02-13  4:36   ` richardvoigt-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w
From: richardvoigt-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w @ 2007-02-13  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Omar Khan; +Cc: kvm-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On 2/12/07, Omar Khan <okhan-e94Sedi4moU@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> The paravirtualization announcement by Ingo Molnar said that:
>
> - it provides an ad-hoc paravirtualization hypercall API between a Linux
>   guest and a Linux host. (this will be replaced with a proper
>   hypercall later on.)
>
> Is it possible to modify a non-linux guest to take advantage of this hypercall
> API? or are there conditions that prevent us from doing this?

Source code would be required... this eliminates several of the
interesting cases.  But I suspect any flavor of BSD could be so
modified, provided you use only the external interface and no linux
code (because BSD won't accept GPL code).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but calling the hypercall API is
out-of-process, and thus can be done without adopting the GPL?

> Omar

* Re: Paravirtualization
@ 2009-09-14 16:10     ` Richard B. Johnson
From: Richard B. Johnson @ 2009-09-14 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Linux-2.6.30.5, if I turn on paravirtualization in ".config" and build
the kernel, the new kernel boots okay. However, many programs seg-fault. For
instance, it is impossible to rebuild the kernel without rebooting to
another Linux version. Is this a known problem?

I have attached some configuration information.

Cheers,
Richard B. Johnson
http://Route495Software.com/

[-- Attachment #2: config.gz --]
[-- Type: application/x-gzip, Size: 25434 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: cpuinfo.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 506 bytes --]

processor	: 0
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 15
model		: 2
model name	: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz
stepping	: 7
cpu MHz		: 2672.986
cache size	: 512 KB
fdiv_bug	: no
hlt_bug		: no
f00f_bug	: no
coma_bug	: no
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 2
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe up pebs bts cid xtpr
bogomips	: 5345.97
clflush size	: 64
power management:

[-- Attachment #4: gcc-vers.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 250 bytes --]

gcc (GCC) 4.3.2 20081105 (Red Hat 4.3.2-7)

* Paravirtualization
@ 2007-10-02 16:32 xeb-JGs/UdohzUI
From: xeb-JGs/UdohzUI @ 2007-10-02 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On official web site said:
In progress:
    * Paravirtualized networking
    * Paravirtualized block device

Where can find sources of that work, if it is possible ?