From: Mark Salyzyn <salyzyn@android.com>
To: "Schmauss, Erik" <erik.schmauss@intel.com>,
	Greg KH <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org>
Cc: "Moore, Robert" <robert.moore@intel.com>,
	stable <stable@vger.kernel.org>,
	Seunghun Han <kkamagui@gmail.com>,
	"Wysocki, Rafael J" <rafael.j.wysocki@intel.com>,
	kernel-team <kernel-team@android.com>
Subject: Re: ACPICA: acpi: acpica: fix acpi operand cache leak in nseval.c
Date: Tue, 15 May 2018 13:42:26 -0700	[thread overview]

On 05/15/2018 10:36 AM, Schmauss, Erik wrote:

>>> Agreed. Could we somehow close this CVE?
>> Please do, you can submit a request for it to be rejected on the main CVE site
>> somewhere.  I've done it once in the past.
> Ok. I'll do this.

Thanks!

Please do the same for CVE-2017-13694 (not in Linus' tree) as well as
this one CVE-2017-13695 (in Linus' tree) as they are both associated
with crafted ACPI tables.

I am rescinding my request to have these in stable for security concerns.

> If the AML is correct, it's fine. Almost all OEMs use ASL compilers like iASL to ensure
> correctness of ASL/AML.
That probably is enough to push back on stable, really an academic
defence in depth measure.

> This patch might be nice to have for when users wish to alter their ACPI tables by hand
> and those altered ACPI tables cause this memory leak. If you wish to account for
> memory leaks that result from these hand-crafted AML files, then you should add this
> patch. Otherwise, it's not necessary.
Linus' tree has this, should deal with those advanced developers/users
that wish to alter their ACPI tables by hand? The leak is probably a
smaller issue than what can happen if someone decides to adjust them by
hand ;-}

-- Mark