From: "Goffredo Baroncelli <kreijack@libero.it>" <kreijack@libero.it>
To: <hpa@zytor.com>, cwillu <cwillu@cwillu.com>
Cc: <helmut@hullen.de>, <linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: R: Re: Subvolumes and /proc/self/mountinfo
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 14:02:22 +0200 (CEST)	[thread overview]

HI all,

For the aim of the discussion, I would like to highlight a small difference
between the path of the subvolume and the subvolume-id.
The latter is the specific subvolume, the former is a "functional" reference
to this subvolume.

For example, in my root btrfs I have two two subvolumes: __active (the root
filesystem of my system) and (__rollback the last "good" copy)

If I swap (via a rename) __active and __rollback, in the next boot my system
uses a "good" copy of the root filesystem. This is a simple way to swap
two subvolumes, without involving the boot logic

Instead if I had tracked the subvolume-id, to swap the root filesystem I
would have update the boot logic.

I suspect that could exists other cases where it is preferable to track the
subvolume-id instead the path. However what I would highlight it is the two
ways aren't equal.

BR
G.Baroncelli