* Xen 4.8 Development Update
@ 2016-08-31  8:30 Wei Liu
                   ` (6 more replies)
From: Wei Liu @ 2016-08-31  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel; +Cc: wei.liu2

This email only tracks big items for xen.git tree. Please reply for items you
woulk like to see in 4.8 so that people have an idea what is going on and
prioritise accordingly.

You're welcome to provide description and use cases of the feature you're
working on.

= Timeline =

We now adopt a fixed cut-off date scheme. We will release twice a
year. The upcoming 4.8 timeline are as followed:

* Last posting date: September 16, 2016
* Hard code freeze: September 30, 2016
* RC1: TBD
* Release: December 2, 2016

Note that we don't have freeze exception scheme anymore. All patches
that wish to go into 4.8 must be posted no later than the last posting
date. All patches posted after that date will be automatically queued
into next release.

RCs will be arranged immediately after freeze.

= Projects =

== Hypervisor ==

*  Make credit2 default scheduler for Xen
  -  Dario Faggioli

*  Boot Xen on EFI platforms using GRUB2 (multiboot2 protocol)
  -  Daniel Kiper

*  Per-cpu tasklet
  -  Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk

=== x86 ===

*  Allow ioreq server interface to support XenGT
  -  Yu Zhang
  -  Paul Durrant

*  PVHv2 support
  -  Roger Pau Monne

*  vNVDIMM support
  -  Haozhong Zhang

=== ARM ===

*  Livepatching
  -  Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk

*  ITS emulation (Dom0 only)
  -  Andre Przywara

*  Xen ARM DomU ACPI support
  -  Shannon Zhao

*  P2M rework to follow break-before-make sequence
  -  Julien Grall

*  Altp2m for ARM
  -  Sergej Proskurin

== Toolstack ==

*  Remove blktap2
  -  Wei Liu

*  Make ACPI builder available to components other than hvmloader
  -  Boris Ostrovsky

*  Libxl PVSCSI support
  -  Olaf Hering

*  Libxl depriv QEMU
  -  Ian Jackson

*  Logging solution for Xen system
  -  Wei Liu

== Mini-OS ==

*  Mini-os ballooning support
  -  Juergen Gross

== Testing ==

*  Have OSSTest running XTF tests
  -  Wei Liu
  -  Andrew Cooper
  -  Ian Jackson

== Completed ==

*  Load BIOS via toolstack
  -  Anthony Perard

*  Alternative patching support
  -  Julien Grall

*  Clean up all hard-coded paths in toolstack code
  -  Wei Liu

*  Refactor libxl device handling framework
  -  Juergen Gross

*  IOMMU flush issue
  -  Quan Xu

*  Refactor XSM policy
  -  Daniel De Graaf

* Re: Xen 4.8 Development Update
@ 2016-08-31 12:37 ` Andrew Cooper
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Andrew Cooper @ 2016-08-31 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu, xen-devel

On 31/08/16 09:30, Wei Liu wrote:
> == Completed ==
>
> *  Load BIOS via toolstack
>   -  Anthony Perard

This should be removed from the completed section.  It is not yet in a
suitable state for release.

The issue of the "bios.bin" is a release blocker IMO.

~Andrew

* Re: Xen 4.8 Development Update
@ 2016-08-31 12:39   ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2016-08-31 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cooper; +Cc: xen-devel, Wei Liu

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 01:37:52PM +0100, Andrew Cooper wrote:
> On 31/08/16 09:30, Wei Liu wrote:
> > == Completed ==
> >
> > *  Load BIOS via toolstack
> >   -  Anthony Perard
>
> This should be removed from the completed section.  It is not yet in a
> suitable state for release.
>
> The issue of the "bios.bin" is a release blocker IMO.

That's trivial to fix. Your patch is still in my queue but Anthony is
away -- I will give him a chance to reply to your patch.

Wei.

> ~Andrew

* Re: Xen 4.8 Development Update
@ 2016-08-31 14:21 ` Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk @ 2016-08-31 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu; +Cc: xen-devel

> *  Per-cpu tasklet
>   -  Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk

Waiting for review and hopefully test results from Intel.
> === ARM ===
>
> *  Livepatching
>   -  Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk

Need review from Stefano & Julien.

* Re: Xen 4.8 Development Update
@ 2016-08-31 15:00 ` Boris Ostrovsky
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Boris Ostrovsky @ 2016-08-31 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu, xen-devel

On 08/31/2016 04:30 AM, Wei Liu wrote:

> *  Make ACPI builder available to components other than hvmloader
>   -  Boris Ostrovsky

Stuck due to licensing.

-boris

* Re: Xen 4.8 Development Update
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-09-01  6:04 ` Juergen Gross
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Juergen Gross @ 2016-09-01  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu, xen-devel

On 31/08/16 10:30, Wei Liu wrote:
> This email only tracks big items for xen.git tree. Please reply for items you
> woulk like to see in 4.8 so that people have an idea what is going on and
> prioritise accordingly.
>
> You're welcome to provide description and use cases of the feature you're
> working on.
>
> = Timeline =
>
> We now adopt a fixed cut-off date scheme. We will release twice a
> year. The upcoming 4.8 timeline are as followed:
>
> * Last posting date: September 16, 2016
> * Hard code freeze: September 30, 2016
> * RC1: TBD
> * Release: December 2, 2016
>
> Note that we don't have freeze exception scheme anymore. All patches
> that wish to go into 4.8 must be posted no later than the last posting
> date. All patches posted after that date will be automatically queued
> into next release.
>
> RCs will be arranged immediately after freeze.
>
> = Projects =
>
> == Mini-OS ==
>
> *  Mini-os ballooning support
>   -  Juergen Gross

This topic is completed.

Additional topic:
* Mini-OS HVMlite support

Juergen

* Re: Xen 4.8 Development Update
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-09-01  6:36 ` Sergej Proskurin
From: Sergej Proskurin @ 2016-09-01  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu, xen-devel

Hi all,

> === ARM ===
>
> *  Altp2m for ARM
>   -  Sergej Proskurin

We have submitted a patch-series version 3 and still waiting for
remaining reviews.

Cheers,
~Sergej

* Re: Xen 4.8 Development Update
@ 2016-09-05 15:47   ` Dario Faggioli
From: Dario Faggioli @ 2016-09-05 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk, Wei Liu; +Cc: xen-devel

On Wed, 2016-08-31 at 10:21 -0400, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:

> > *  Per-cpu tasklet
> >   -  Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
> Waiting for review and hopefully test results from Intel.

I've just seen it (came back today from vacations)... Interesting bit
of work.

I'll try to have a deep look at the patches ASAP (I'm no maintainer, of
course, but I've played with tasklets a bit, and I at last hope to be
able to be of some help :-P)

Regards,
Dario

* Re: Xen 4.8 Development Update
@ 2016-09-06 13:09     ` Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk @ 2016-09-06 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dario Faggioli; +Cc: xen-devel, Wei Liu

On Mon, Sep 05, 2016 at 05:47:54PM +0200, Dario Faggioli wrote:
> On Wed, 2016-08-31 at 10:21 -0400, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> > >
> > > *  Per-cpu tasklet
> > >   -  Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
> > Waiting for review and hopefully test results from Intel.
> >
> I've just seen it (came back today from vacations)... Interesting bit
> of work.

Thank you!

> I'll try to have a deep look at the patches ASAP (I'm no maintainer, of
> course, but I've played with tasklets a bit, and I at last hope to be
> able to be of some help :-P)

Ohhh you are going to tear the patchsets apart, eh? :-)

> Regards,
> Dario
> --
> <<This happens because I choose it to happen!>> (Raistlin Majere)

* Re: Xen 4.8 Development Update
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-09-08  7:29 ` Juergen Gross
From: Juergen Gross @ 2016-09-08  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu, xen-devel

On 31/08/16 10:30, Wei Liu wrote:
> This email only tracks big items for xen.git tree. Please reply for items you
> woulk like to see in 4.8 so that people have an idea what is going on and
> prioritise accordingly.
>
> You're welcome to provide description and use cases of the feature you're
> working on.
>
> = Timeline =
>
> We now adopt a fixed cut-off date scheme. We will release twice a
> year. The upcoming 4.8 timeline are as followed:
>
> * Last posting date: September 16, 2016
> * Hard code freeze: September 30, 2016
> * RC1: TBD
> * Release: December 2, 2016
>
> Note that we don't have freeze exception scheme anymore. All patches
> that wish to go into 4.8 must be posted no later than the last posting
> date. All patches posted after that date will be automatically queued
> into next release.
>
> RCs will be arranged immediately after freeze.
>
> = Projects =

> == Toolstack ==

*  Add HVM USB passthrough via qemu
  -  Juergen Gross

Juergen

* Re: Xen 4.8 Development Update
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-09-12 21:00 ` Daniel Kiper
From: Daniel Kiper @ 2016-09-12 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu; +Cc: xen-devel

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 09:30:46AM +0100, Wei Liu wrote:

[...]

> *  Boot Xen on EFI platforms using GRUB2 (multiboot2 protocol)
>   -  Daniel Kiper

I have just sent v6.

Daniel

* Re: Xen 4.8 Development Update
@ 2016-08-03 12:15     ` Julien Grall
From: Julien Grall @ 2016-08-03 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu; +Cc: xen-devel, Stefano Stabellini

On 03/08/16 13:03, Wei Liu wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 03, 2016 at 12:56:14PM +0100, Julien Grall wrote:
>> Hi Wei,
>>
>> On 03/08/16 12:33, Wei Liu wrote:
>>> === ARM ===
>>>
>>> *  ITS emulation (Dom0 only)
>>>  -  Andre Przywara
>>>
>>> *  Xen ARM DomU ACPI support
>>>  -  Shannon Zhao
>>>
>>> *  Alternative patching support
>>>  -  Julien Grall
>>>
>>> *  Altp2m for ARM
>>>  -  Sergej Proskurin
>>
>> Another big item to track for ARM:
>>
>> P2M rework to follow break-before-make sequence.
>>

> What does break-before-make mean? I'm afraid I can't parse this
> sentence. Is there any patch series that I can look at?

break-before-make is a 3 steps sequence the P2M code has to use to
update the page tables under certain circumstances.

See
https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2016-07/msg02952.html

Julien Grall

* Re: Xen 4.8 Development Update
@ 2016-08-03 12:03   ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2016-08-03 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Grall; +Cc: xen-devel, Stefano Stabellini, Wei Liu

@ 2016-08-03 11:56 ` Julien Grall
From: Julien Grall @ 2016-08-03 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu, xen-devel, Stefano Stabellini

Hi Wei,

@ 2016-08-03 11:33 Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2016-08-03 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel; +Cc: wei.liu2

@ 2016-07-26 22:35   ` Pasi Kärkkäinen
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen @ 2016-07-26 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Dunlap; +Cc: xen-devel, Wei Liu

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 05:07:23PM +0100, George Dunlap wrote:

> > == Toolstack ==
> >
> > *  Make ACPI builder available to components other than hvmloader
> >   -  Boris Ostrovsky
> >
> > *  Libxl PVSCSI support
> >   -  Olaf Hering
> >
> > *  HVM USB passthrough
> >   -  George Dunlap
>
> I am not currently working on this, so you can probably remove it from
> the list for now.

Anyone else interested in picking up this HVM USB passthrough item?

Thanks,

-- Pasi

@ 2016-07-26 10:58 ` Daniel Kiper
From: Daniel Kiper @ 2016-07-26 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu; +Cc: xen-devel, daniel.kiper, jbeulich, andrew.cooper3

On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 02:48:30PM +0100, Wei Liu wrote:
> This email only tracks big items for xen.git tree. Please reply for items you
> woulk like to see in 4.8 so that people have an idea what is going on and
> prioritise accordingly.
>
> You're welcome to provide description and use cases of the feature you're
> working on.
>
> = Timeline =
>
> We now adopt a fixed cut-off date scheme. We will release twice a
> year. The upcoming 4.8 timeline are as followed:
>
> * Last posting date: September 16, 2016
> * Hard code freeze: September 30, 2016
> * RC1: TBD
> * Release: December 2, 2016
>
> Note that we don't have freeze exception scheme anymore. All patches
> that wish to go into 4.8 must be posted no later than the last posting
> date. All patches posted after that date will be automatically queued
> into next release.
>
> RCs will be arranged immediately after freeze.
>
> = Projects =
>
> == Hypervisor ==
>
> *  Make credit2 default scheduler for Xen
>   -  Dario Faggioli

Please add:
  *  Boot Xen on EFI platforms using GRUB2 (multiboot2 protocol)
    -  Daniel Kiper

BTW, I am going to release v4 next week.

Daniel

@ 2016-07-21 16:07 ` George Dunlap
From: George Dunlap @ 2016-07-21 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu, xen-devel

@ 2016-07-21 14:02     ` Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk @ 2016-07-21 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu, ross.lagerwall; +Cc: xen-devel

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 10:37:38AM +0100, Wei Liu wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 10:35:45AM +0100, Andre Przywara wrote:
> > Hi Wei,
> >
> > On 19/07/16 14:48, Wei Liu wrote:
> > > This email only tracks big items for xen.git tree. Please reply for items you
> > > woulk like to see in 4.8 so that people have an idea what is going on and
> > > prioritise accordingly.
> > >
> > > You're welcome to provide description and use cases of the feature you're
> > > working on.

To make livepatching not TECH PREVIEW.

That I believe means:
 1) Make it work under ARM64
 2) Make OSSTEst test the test-cases
 3) Fix the hypervisor issues mentioned in http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/XSplice#Hypervisor
    (and that list needs to be sorted in priority). Let me have an off-chat
    with Ross on that.

* Re: Xen 4.8 Development Update
@ 2016-07-21  9:37   ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2016-07-21  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andre Przywara; +Cc: xen-devel, Julien Grall, Stefano Stabellini, Wei Liu

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 10:35:45AM +0100, Andre Przywara wrote:
> Hi Wei,
>
> On 19/07/16 14:48, Wei Liu wrote:
> > This email only tracks big items for xen.git tree. Please reply for items you
> > woulk like to see in 4.8 so that people have an idea what is going on and
> > prioritise accordingly.
> >
> > You're welcome to provide description and use cases of the feature you're
> > working on.

> I started working on ARM GICv3 ITS emulation. The ITS provides MSI-X
> support for ARM machines using a GICv3 interrupt controller and having
> it emulated in the hypervisor is a prerequisite for running any guests
> (including Dom0) on machines which don't have GICv2 compatibility support.
> I will focus on Dom0 support first, with DomU following afterwards. I
> expect to have a working prototype soon and will post patches as soon as
> this gets into a reviewable state, but definitely before the "last
> posting date" in September.
>
> So can you please add this item (below) to the tracking list?
> If you need more information, please let me know.

Sure and done.

Your description is good enough for me to know what that does. :-)

Wei.

@ 2016-07-21  9:35 ` Andre Przywara
From: Andre Przywara @ 2016-07-21  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu, xen-devel; +Cc: Julien Grall, Stefano Stabellini

Hi Wei,

On 19/07/16 14:48, Wei Liu wrote:
> This email only tracks big items for xen.git tree. Please reply for items you
> woulk like to see in 4.8 so that people have an idea what is going on and
> prioritise accordingly.
>
> You're welcome to provide description and use cases of the feature you're
> working on.

I started working on ARM GICv3 ITS emulation. The ITS provides MSI-X
support for ARM machines using a GICv3 interrupt controller and having
it emulated in the hypervisor is a prerequisite for running any guests
(including Dom0) on machines which don't have GICv2 compatibility support.
I will focus on Dom0 support first, with DomU following afterwards. I
expect to have a working prototype soon and will post patches as soon as
this gets into a reviewable state, but definitely before the "last
posting date" in September.

So can you please add this item (below) to the tracking list?
If you need more information, please let me know.

> === ARM ===
>
> *  Xen ARM DomU ACPI support
>   -  Shannon Zhao
>
> *  Alternative patching support
>   -  Julien Grall

  * ITS emulation (Dom0 only)
    - Andre Przywara

Cheers,
Andre.

* Re: Xen 4.8 Development Update
@ 2016-07-20 10:23   ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2016-07-20 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cooper; +Cc: xen-devel, Wei Liu

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 10:34:01AM +0100, Andrew Cooper wrote:
> On 19/07/16 14:48, Wei Liu wrote:
> > This email only tracks big items for xen.git tree. Please reply for items you
> > woulk like to see in 4.8 so that people have an idea what is going on and
> > prioritise accordingly.
> >
> > You're welcome to provide description and use cases of the feature you're
> > working on.
> >
> > = Timeline =
> >
> > We now adopt a fixed cut-off date scheme. We will release twice a
> > year. The upcoming 4.8 timeline are as followed:
> >
> > * Last posting date: September 16, 2016
> > * Hard code freeze: September 30, 2016
> > * RC1: TBD
> > * Release: December 2, 2016
> >
> > Note that we don't have freeze exception scheme anymore. All patches
> > that wish to go into 4.8 must be posted no later than the last posting
> > date. All patches posted after that date will be automatically queued
> > into next release.
> >
> > RCs will be arranged immediately after freeze.
> >
> > = Projects =
>
> I think it would be very wise to have a goal of
>
> == Testing ==
> *  Have OSSTest running XTF tests
>   - Wei Liu
>   - Andrew Cooper
>
> for 4.8

This email only tracks code that would affect xen.git so I didn't add
that here.

But since you think it is relevant I can track it as well.

Wei.

> ~Andrew

* Re: Xen 4.8 Development Update
@ 2016-07-20  9:34 ` Andrew Cooper
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Andrew Cooper @ 2016-07-20  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu, xen-devel

@ 2016-07-19 16:08   ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2016-07-19 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tamas K Lengyel; +Cc: Sergej Proskurin, Wei Liu, Xen-devel

On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 10:06:57AM -0600, Tamas K Lengyel wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 7:48 AM, Wei Liu <wei.liu2@citrix.com> wrote:
> > This email only tracks big items for xen.git tree. Please reply for items you
> > woulk like to see in 4.8 so that people have an idea what is going on and
> > prioritise accordingly.
> >
> > You're welcome to provide description and use cases of the feature you're
> > working on.
> >
> > = Timeline =
> >
> > We now adopt a fixed cut-off date scheme. We will release twice a
> > year. The upcoming 4.8 timeline are as followed:
> >
> > * Last posting date: September 16, 2016
> > * Hard code freeze: September 30, 2016
> > * RC1: TBD
> > * Release: December 2, 2016
> >
> > Note that we don't have freeze exception scheme anymore. All patches
> > that wish to go into 4.8 must be posted no later than the last posting
> > date. All patches posted after that date will be automatically queued
> > into next release.
> >
> > RCs will be arranged immediately after freeze.
> >
> > = Projects =
>
> [...]
>
> > === ARM ===
>
> I'm mentoring Sergej Proskurin who is developing altp2m for ARM as
> part of a Google Summer of Code project. Current status is that first
> version of the series has been posted, working on reviews, second
> version should be sent shortly. We are hopeful to be able to meet the
> merge window with this for 4.8.

Right. I missed that.

Looking forward to the patches!

Wei.

> Tamas

* Re: Xen 4.8 Development Update
@ 2016-07-19 16:06 ` Tamas K Lengyel
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Tamas K Lengyel @ 2016-07-19 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu, Sergej Proskurin; +Cc: Xen-devel

On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 7:48 AM, Wei Liu <wei.liu2@citrix.com> wrote:
> This email only tracks big items for xen.git tree. Please reply for items you
> woulk like to see in 4.8 so that people have an idea what is going on and
> prioritise accordingly.
>
> You're welcome to provide description and use cases of the feature you're
> working on.
>
> = Timeline =
>
> We now adopt a fixed cut-off date scheme. We will release twice a
> year. The upcoming 4.8 timeline are as followed:
>
> * Last posting date: September 16, 2016
> * Hard code freeze: September 30, 2016
> * RC1: TBD
> * Release: December 2, 2016
>
> Note that we don't have freeze exception scheme anymore. All patches
> that wish to go into 4.8 must be posted no later than the last posting
> date. All patches posted after that date will be automatically queued
> into next release.
>
> RCs will be arranged immediately after freeze.
>
> = Projects =

[...]

> === ARM ===

I'm mentoring Sergej Proskurin who is developing altp2m for ARM as
part of a Google Summer of Code project. Current status is that first
version of the series has been posted, working on reviews, second
version should be sent shortly. We are hopeful to be able to meet the
merge window with this for 4.8.

Tamas

* Xen 4.8 Development Update
@ 2016-07-19 13:48 Wei Liu

[...]