* Intel Z270 support
@ 2018-10-18 17:57 Aaron Gray
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Aaron Gray @ 2018-10-18 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel, xen-users

I have two ASUS PRIME Z270-A machines based on Intel Z270 chipset and am
wondering about when support will be available for them and what I can do
to speed this up.

But I have not done anything to do with kernel work since years ago when I
read a lot of the main parts of the Linux 2.4 Kernel. Also I did code to
get into and out of protected mode before this.

Heres the datasheets that cover the chipset :-

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/200-series-chipset-pch-datasheet-vol-1.html
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/200-series-chipset-pch-datasheet-vol-2.html

Regards,

Aaron

--
Aaron Gray

Independent Open Source Software Engineer, Computer Language Researcher,
Information Theorist, and amateur computer scientist.

* Re: Intel Z270 support
@ 2018-10-18 18:09 ` Andrew Cooper
       [not found] ` <CACaqnaSSq8=j1wF_+_O1Zc2vW_ebN6ACRdbB5KLdcOcPAZnO1Q@mail.gmail.com>
From: Andrew Cooper @ 2018-10-18 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

On 18/10/2018 18:57, Aaron Gray wrote:
> I have two ASUS PRIME Z270-A machines based on Intel Z270 chipset and
> am wondering about when support will be available for them and what I
> can do to speed this up.
>
> But I have not done anything to do with kernel work since years ago
> when I read a lot of the main parts of the Linux 2.4 Kernel. Also I
> did code to get into and out of protected mode before this.
>
> Heres the datasheets that cover the chipset :-
>
> https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/200-series-chipset-pch-datasheet-vol-1.html
> https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/200-series-chipset-pch-datasheet-vol-2.html

Xen doesn't have a list of individual support chips/systems, because
kernels don't really work like that.  We work feature by feature, or
device by device.

You appear to have a Broadwell-era system.  Any recent Linux distro
should work for you, including the provided Xen package.

~Andrew

* Re: Intel Z270 support
@ 2018-10-18 18:45   ` Aaron Gray
From: Aaron Gray @ 2018-10-18 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrew.cooper3; +Cc: xen-devel

On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 at 19:11, Andrew Cooper <andrew.cooper3@citrix.com>
wrote:

> On 18/10/2018 18:57, Aaron Gray wrote:
> > I have two ASUS PRIME Z270-A machines based on Intel Z270 chipset and
> > am wondering about when support will be available for them and what I
> > can do to speed this up.
> >
> > But I have not done anything to do with kernel work since years ago
> > when I read a lot of the main parts of the Linux 2.4 Kernel. Also I
> > did code to get into and out of protected mode before this.
> >
> > Heres the datasheets that cover the chipset :-
> >

> https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/200-series-chipset-pch-datasheet-vol-1.html
> >
> https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/200-series-chipset-pch-datasheet-vol-2.html
> >

> Xen doesn't have a list of individual support chips/systems, because
> kernels don't really work like that.  We work feature by feature, or
> device by device.
>
> You appear to have a Broadwell-era system.  Any recent Linux distro
> should work for you, including the provided Xen package.

I tried installing Xen 4.9 provided with Fedora 28 but it did not work. Can
I get support with this please ?

Aaron

* Re: Intel Z270 support
@ 2018-10-18 22:42     ` Andrew Cooper
From: Andrew Cooper @ 2018-10-18 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron Gray; +Cc: xen-devel

On 18/10/2018 19:45, Aaron Gray wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 at 19:11, Andrew Cooper <andrew.cooper3@citrix.com
> <mailto:andrew.cooper3@citrix.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 18/10/2018 18:57, Aaron Gray wrote:
>     > I have two ASUS PRIME Z270-A machines based on Intel Z270
>     chipset and
>     > am wondering about when support will be available for them and
>     what I
>     > can do to speed this up.
>     >
>     > But I have not done anything to do with kernel work since years ago
>     > when I read a lot of the main parts of the Linux 2.4 Kernel. Also I
>     > did code to get into and out of protected mode before this.
>     >
>     > Heres the datasheets that cover the chipset :-
>     >
>     >
>     https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/200-series-chipset-pch-datasheet-vol-1.html
>     >
>     https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/200-series-chipset-pch-datasheet-vol-2.html
>     >

>     Xen doesn't have a list of individual support chips/systems, because
>     kernels don't really work like that.  We work feature by feature, or
>     device by device.
>
>     You appear to have a Broadwell-era system.  Any recent Linux distro
>     should work for you, including the provided Xen package.
>

> I tried installing Xen 4.9 provided with Fedora 28 but it did not
> work. Can I get support with this please ?

What didn't work.  What went wrong?

What logs do you have from the attempt?

We're not mind readers.  Noone here can divine the cause of your failure
from nothing.

~Andrew

* Re: Intel Z270 support
@ 2018-10-19 18:58       ` Aaron Gray
From: Aaron Gray @ 2018-10-19 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrew.cooper3; +Cc: xen-devel

On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 at 23:42, Andrew Cooper <andrew.cooper3@citrix.com>
wrote:

> On 18/10/2018 19:45, Aaron Gray wrote:
>
> On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 at 19:11, Andrew Cooper <andrew.cooper3@citrix.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 18/10/2018 18:57, Aaron Gray wrote:
>> > I have two ASUS PRIME Z270-A machines based on Intel Z270 chipset and
>> > am wondering about when support will be available for them and what I
>> > can do to speed this up.
>> >
>> > But I have not done anything to do with kernel work since years ago
>> > when I read a lot of the main parts of the Linux 2.4 Kernel. Also I
>> > did code to get into and out of protected mode before this.
>> >
>> > Heres the datasheets that cover the chipset :-
>> >

>> https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/200-series-chipset-pch-datasheet-vol-1.html
>> >
>> https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/200-series-chipset-pch-datasheet-vol-2.html
>> >

>> Xen doesn't have a list of individual support chips/systems, because
>> kernels don't really work like that.  We work feature by feature, or
>> device by device.
>>
>> You appear to have a Broadwell-era system.  Any recent Linux distro
>> should work for you, including the provided Xen package.
>

> I tried installing Xen 4.9 provided with Fedora 28 but it did not work.
> Can I get support with this please ?
>

> What didn't work.  What went wrong?
>
> What logs do you have from the attempt?
>
> We're not mind readers.  Noone here can divine the cause of your failure
> from nothing.

Sorry I will post a proper report over the weekend.

Aaron

* Re: Intel Z270 support
@ 2018-10-21 20:36         ` Aaron Gray
From: Aaron Gray @ 2018-10-21 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrew.cooper3; +Cc: xen-devel

On Fri, 19 Oct 2018 at 19:58, Aaron Gray <aaronngray.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 at 23:42, Andrew Cooper <andrew.cooper3@citrix.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 18/10/2018 19:45, Aaron Gray wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 at 19:11, Andrew Cooper <andrew.cooper3@citrix.com>
>> wrote:

>>> https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/200-series-chipset-pch-datasheet-vol-1.html
>>> >
>>> https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/200-series-chipset-pch-datasheet-vol-2.html
>>> >

>>> Xen doesn't have a list of individual support chips/systems, because
>>> kernels don't really work like that.  We work feature by feature, or
>>> device by device.
>>>
>>> You appear to have a Broadwell-era system.  Any recent Linux distro
>>> should work for you, including the provided Xen package.
>>

>> I tried installing Xen 4.9 provided with Fedora 28 but it did not work.
>> Can I get support with this please ?
>>

>> What didn't work.  What went wrong?
>>
>> What logs do you have from the attempt?
>>
>> We're not mind readers.  Noone here can divine the cause of your failure
>> from nothing.
>>

> Sorry I will post a proper report over the weekend.

Heres what I am getting now which is different from before with Xen 4.9 on
F28. Before it was actually booting past the [U]EFI stage. And I am not
sure why it is faultering oon this. I have turned off UEFI on the
Motherboard.

error: file `EFI/fedora/x86_64-efi/module.mod' not found.
error: file `EFI/fedora/x86_64-efi/multiboot.mod' not found.
error: can't find command `multiboot'.
error: can't find command `module'.
error: file `EFI/fedora/x86_64-efi/module.mod' not found.
error: can't find command `module'.

error: file `EFI/fedora/x86_64-efi/module3.mod' not found.
error: file `EFI/fedora/x86_64-efi/multiboot3.mod' not found.
error: can't find command `multiboot3'.
error: can't find command `module3'.
error: file `EFI/fedora/x86_64-efi/module3.mod' not found.
error: can't find command `module2'.

I have managed to install, boot, and run F28 in KVM'ed F28 so my hardware
is supported properly by KVM.

Many thanks in advance,

--

@ 2018-10-22 17:01           ` Aaron Gray
From: Aaron Gray @ 2018-10-22 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrew.cooper3; +Cc: xen-devel

On Sun, 21 Oct 2018 at 21:36, Aaron Gray <aaronngray.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Oct 2018 at 19:58, Aaron Gray <aaronngray.lists@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 at 23:42, Andrew Cooper <andrew.cooper3@citrix.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On 18/10/2018 19:45, Aaron Gray wrote:

>>> I tried installing Xen 4.9 provided with Fedora 28 but it did not work.
>>> Can I get support with this please ?
>>>

>>> What didn't work.  What went wrong?
>>>
>>> What logs do you have from the attempt?
>>>
>>> We're not mind readers.  Noone here can divine the cause of your failure
>>> from nothing.
>>>

>> Sorry I will post a proper report over the weekend.
>>

> Heres what I am getting now which is different from before with Xen 4.9 on
> F28. Before it was actually booting past the [U]EFI stage. And I am not
> sure why it is faultering oon this. I have turned off UEFI on the
> Motherboard.

> error: file `EFI/fedora/x86_64-efi/module.mod' not found.
> error: file `EFI/fedora/x86_64-efi/multiboot.mod' not found.
> error: can't find command `multiboot'.
> error: can't find command `module'.
> error: file `EFI/fedora/x86_64-efi/module.mod' not found.
> error: can't find command `module'.

> error: file `EFI/fedora/x86_64-efi/module3.mod' not found.
> error: file `EFI/fedora/x86_64-efi/multiboot3.mod' not found.
> error: can't find command `multiboot3'.
> error: can't find command `module3'.
> error: file `EFI/fedora/x86_64-efi/module3.mod' not found.
> error: can't find command `module2'.

Sorry this looks like a Fedora issue. I will take this over to the Fedora
mailing list, but if anyone is Fedora based I would appreciate help.

Regards,

Aaron
--
Aaron Gray

Independent Open Source Software Engineer, Computer Language Researcher,
Information Theorist, and amateur computer scientist.

* Re: [Xen-users] Intel Z270 support
@ 2018-10-24 13:25 ` Eric Duncan
       [not found] ` <CACaqnaSSq8=j1wF_+_O1Zc2vW_ebN6ACRdbB5KLdcOcPAZnO1Q@mail.gmail.com>
From: Eric Duncan @ 2018-10-24 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron Gray; +Cc: xen-devel, xen-users

On Thu, Oct 18, 2018 at 2:03 PM Aaron Gray wrote:

> I have two ASUS PRIME Z270-A machines based on Intel Z270 chipset and am
> wondering about when support will be available for them and what I can do
> to speed this up.
>
> But I have not done anything to do with kernel work since years ago when I
> read a lot of the main parts of the Linux 2.4 Kernel. Also I did code to
> get into and out of protected mode before this.
>
> Heres the datasheets that cover the chipset :-
>

> https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/200-series-chipset-pch-datasheet-vol-1.html
>
> https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/200-series-chipset-pch-datasheet-vol-2.html
>
> Regards,
>
> Aaron

It's your Linux kernel that needs to support your hardware, not Xen itself.

I personally run Xen with an Arch Linux dom0 specifically for this purpose
of getting the latest hardware support across my devices.  For example, I
am on kernel 4.18.10 at this moment.  The AUR also keeps a fairly recent
version of Xen, currently 4.11.

-E

@ 2018-10-24 21:20   ` Aaron Gray
From: Aaron Gray @ 2018-10-24 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)