* Can we drop ubuntu 14.04 (trusty) for kraken and lumninous?
@ 2016-11-11 18:43 Sage Weil
       [not found] ` <alpine.DEB.2.11.1611111837410.29579-ie3vfNGmdjePKud3HExfWg@public.gmane.org>
From: Sage Weil @ 2016-11-11 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-maintainers-Qp0mS5GaXlQ
  Cc: ceph-devel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, ceph-users-Qp0mS5GaXlQ

Currently the distros we use for upstream testing are

 centos 7.x
 ubuntu 16.04 (xenial)
 ubuntu 14.04 (trusty)

We also do some basic testing for Debian 8 and Fedora (some old version).

Jewel was the first release that had native systemd and full xenial
support, so it's helpful to have both 14.04 and 16.04 supported to provide
an upgrade path.  But I think we can safely drop 14.04 now for kraken and
luminous.  Our options are

1) keep testing on xenial and trusty, and keep building packages for both

2) stop testing trusty, but still build packages

3) stop testing or building for trusty

Preferences?
sage

* Re: Can we drop ubuntu 14.04 (trusty) for kraken and lumninous?
       [not found] ` <alpine.DEB.2.11.1611111837410.29579-ie3vfNGmdjePKud3HExfWg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-11-11 20:10   ` Randy Orr
From: Randy Orr @ 2016-11-11 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil
  Cc: ceph-devel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, ceph-users-Qp0mS5GaXlQ,
	ceph-maintainers-Qp0mS5GaXlQ

I would prefer option 1 please. It wouldn't be the end of the world if
14.04 support went away, but definitely inconvenient. EOL for Ubuntu 14.04
is April 2019 - I would expect to see many people still running it for
quite some time.

Thanks,
Randy

@ 2016-11-11 20:22 ` Blair Bethwaite
       [not found]   ` <CA+z5DszZp-j450Q1HyfQQtEx9tqeazJ=PqnUkmwFND_kMrvk-g-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
       [not found] ` <alpine.DEB.2.11.1611111837410.29579-ie3vfNGmdjePKud3HExfWg@public.gmane.org>
From: Blair Bethwaite @ 2016-11-11 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: Ceph Development, Ceph-User, ceph-maintainers

Worth considering OpenStack and Ubuntu cloudarchive release cycles
here. Mitaka is the release where all Ubuntu OpenStack users need to
upgrade from Trusty to Xenial - so far Mitaka and now Newton
deployments are still in the minority (see the OpenStack
user/deployment survey for the data) and I expect they will remain so
until at least Ocata. So if you pick #2 or #3 it'd be best to still
keep building and testing the client packages for Trusty.

Cheers,
Blair

@ 2016-11-14 10:59     ` Özhan Rüzgar Karaman
From: Özhan Rüzgar Karaman @ 2016-11-14 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Blair Bethwaite
  Cc: Sage Weil, Ceph Development, Ceph-User, ceph-maintainers-Qp0mS5GaXlQ

Hi;
There are still lots of people who are using 14.04 and its also supported
till 2019 so +1 for option 1.

Thanks
Özhan

On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 11:22 PM, Blair Bethwaite <blair.bethwaite-Re5JQEeQqe8@public.gmane.orgm

@ 2016-11-14 11:08   ` Tomasz Kuzemko
From: Tomasz Kuzemko @ 2016-11-14 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil, ceph-maintainers-Qp0mS5GaXlQ
  Cc: ceph-devel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, ceph-users-Qp0mS5GaXlQ

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1091 bytes --]

I vote for 1. until Ubuntu 14.04 is supported.

On 11.11.2016 19:43, Sage Weil wrote:
> Currently the distros we use for upstream testing are
>
>  centos 7.x
>  ubuntu 16.04 (xenial)
>  ubuntu 14.04 (trusty)
>
> We also do some basic testing for Debian 8 and Fedora (some old version).
>
> Jewel was the first release that had native systemd and full xenial
> support, so it's helpful to have both 14.04 and 16.04 supported to provide
> an upgrade path.  But I think we can safely drop 14.04 now for kraken and
> luminous.  Our options are
>
> 1) keep testing on xenial and trusty, and keep building packages for both
>
> 2) stop testing trusty, but still build packages
>
> 3) stop testing or building for trusty
>
> Preferences?
> sage

Tomasz Kuzemko
tomasz.kuzemko-Rm6v+N6rxxBWk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org

@ 2016-11-14 14:24   ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2016-11-14 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-maintainers-Qp0mS5GaXlQ
  Cc: ceph-devel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, ceph-users-Qp0mS5GaXlQ

On Fri, 11 Nov 2016, Sage Weil wrote:
> Currently the distros we use for upstream testing are
>
>  centos 7.x
>  ubuntu 16.04 (xenial)
>  ubuntu 14.04 (trusty)
>
> We also do some basic testing for Debian 8 and Fedora (some old version).
>
> Jewel was the first release that had native systemd and full xenial
> support, so it's helpful to have both 14.04 and 16.04 supported to provide
> an upgrade path.  But I think we can safely drop 14.04 now for kraken and
> luminous.  Our options are
>
> 1) keep testing on xenial and trusty, and keep building packages for both

Sounds like we'll keep trusty around for a while.  Thanks, everyone!

@ 2016-11-16 18:40     ` Yuri Weinstein
       [not found]       ` <CAMMFjmE_S0ew2h7wWFF2wQccjffX7iGiJS=sxgkvOcvv86DG6Q-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Yuri Weinstein @ 2016-11-16 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil
  Cc: ceph-maintainers, Development, Ceph, ceph-users, Cerza, Zack,
	David Galloway, Mick, Dan, Vasu Kulkarni

Sage,

We had discussed xenial support in sepia today and right now jobs
asking for it from smithi and mira nodes will fail because there are
no bare-metals provisioned for it.

The question is - how do we split nodes between 14.04, 16.04 and centos ?

Thx
YuriW

@ 2016-11-16 20:48         ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2016-11-16 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuri Weinstein
  Cc: Vasu Kulkarni, David Galloway, ceph-maintainers-Qp0mS5GaXlQ,
	Cerza, Zack, Development, Ceph, ceph-users-Qp0mS5GaXlQ

On Wed, 16 Nov 2016, Yuri Weinstein wrote:
> Sage,
>
> We had discussed xenial support in sepia today and right now jobs
> asking for it from smithi and mira nodes will fail because there are
> no bare-metals provisioned for it.
>
> The question is - how do we split nodes between 14.04, 16.04 and centos ?

Yeah.  I thought we'd already split the bar emetal boxes between trusty
and xenial.. sorry!