* [nvme-fabrics]Fabrics over ROCEv2
@ 2016-06-23 13:38 ` Marta Rybczynska
From: Marta Rybczynska @ 2016-06-23 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-nvme-IAPFreCvJWM7uuMidbF8XUB+6BGkLq7r,
	linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA
  Cc: yishaih-VPRAkNaXOzVWk0Htik3J/w

Hello,
I'm doing some interoperability tests with NVMEoF in different configurations.
I have problems setting up Mellanox ConnectX-3 Pro to perform NVMEoF in RoCE v2 mode.

I have limited the set up to 2 Mellanox cards:
* if they are connected by a cable directly it works fine, I can set up a NVMEoF
and access the disk just right. It uses ROCEv1

* if they are connected by a router (in fact a 3rd machine with different 40Gbit
cards) the discover/connect operations do not work. In the packet trace I can see
that 1st card has sent an UDP packet that looks right, but the second system
answers with ICMP port unreachable.

Has anyone tried a setup in ROCEv2 mode?

Thanks in advance,

--

Marta Rybczynska

Phone : +33 6 71 09 68 03
mrybczyn-FNhOzJFKnXGHXe+LvDLADg@public.gmane.org

mrybczyn at kalray.eu

* Re: [nvme-fabrics]Fabrics over ROCEv2
@ 2016-06-24  7:13     ` Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2016-06-24  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marta Rybczynska
  Cc: linux-nvme-IAPFreCvJWM7uuMidbF8XUB+6BGkLq7r,
	linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,
	yishaih-VPRAkNaXOzVWk0Htik3J/w

Hi Marta,

we've tested the NVMe over Fabrics code with both Mellanox and Emulex
RoCE cards, although I don't remember if we were using RoCEv2.

But your problem doesn't sound NVMe specific.  Can your first check if a
simple test using ib_send_bw works?

From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2016-06-24  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

       [not found] ` <1755342088.51635051.1466689109109.JavaMail.zimbra-FNhOzJFKnXGHXe+LvDLADg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2016-06-24  8:30   ` Marta Rybczynska
From: Marta Rybczynska @ 2016-06-24  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, Shoua, Moni,
	yishaih-VPRAkNaXOzVWk0Htik3J/w

Re-send to linux-rdma, it didn't make it to the list yesterday.

==

@ 2016-06-24 11:02         ` Marta Rybczynska
From: Marta Rybczynska @ 2016-06-24 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Hellwig
  Cc: linux-nvme-IAPFreCvJWM7uuMidbF8XUB+6BGkLq7r,
	linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, Hadas, Yishai, Shoua, Moni

Hello Christoph,
Thanks for the answer. I do indeed have more general problems with
ROCEv2: ib_send_bw works fine for ROCEv1 but not with ROCEv2. I'm
going to follow with the Mellanox persons as it seems to be mlx4 or
configuration-related.

Marta

From: Marta Rybczynska @ 2016-06-24 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

----- Le 24 Juin 16, ? 9:13, Christoph Hellwig hch at infradead.org a ?crit :

mrybczyn at kalray.eu

* Re: [nvme-fabrics]Fabrics over ROCEv2
@ 2016-06-24 13:40             ` Majd Dibbiny
From: Majd Dibbiny @ 2016-06-24 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marta Rybczynska
  Cc: Christoph Hellwig, linux-nvme-IAPFreCvJWM7uuMidbF8XUB+6BGkLq7r,
	linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, Yishai Hadas, Moni Shoua

> On Jun 24, 2016, at 2:02 PM, Marta Rybczynska <mrybczyn-FNhOzJFKnXGHXe+LvDLADg@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
> Hello Christoph,
> Thanks for the answer. I do indeed have more general problems with
> ROCEv2: ib_send_bw works fine for ROCEv1 but not with ROCEv2. I'm
> going to follow with the Mellanox persons as it seems to be mlx4 or
> configuration-related.

Hi Marta,

Do you run with RDMA-CM?
Can you please provide the command lines you use and the GIDs table?

Thanks

From: Majd Dibbiny @ 2016-06-24 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2016-06-24 14:32                 ` Marta Rybczynska
From: Marta Rybczynska @ 2016-06-24 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Majd Dibbiny
  Cc: Christoph Hellwig, linux-nvme-IAPFreCvJWM7uuMidbF8XUB+6BGkLq7r,

----- Le 24 Juin 16, à 15:40, Majd Dibbiny majd-VPRAkNaXOzVWk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org a écrit :

>> On Jun 24, 2016, at 2:02 PM, Marta Rybczynska <mrybczyn-FNhOzJFKnXGHXe+LvDLADg@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Christoph,
>> Thanks for the answer. I do indeed have more general problems with
>> ROCEv2: ib_send_bw works fine for ROCEv1 but not with ROCEv2. I'm
>> going to follow with the Mellanox persons as it seems to be mlx4 or
>> configuration-related.
>>
> Hi Marta,
>
> Do you run with RDMA-CM?
> Can you please provide the command lines you use and the GIDs table?

Hello Majd,
Yes, it's using RDMA-CM. I have re-connected the network and the machines have
rebooted (unrelated panic) and now it's working fine. If I'm able to reproduce
the problem, I will keep you updated.

Thanks for the help all,
Marta

From: Marta Rybczynska @ 2016-06-24 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

----- Le 24 Juin 16, ? 15:40, Majd Dibbiny majd at mellanox.com a ?crit :

@ 2016-06-24 14:38                     ` Majd Dibbiny
From: Majd Dibbiny @ 2016-06-24 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marta Rybczynska
  Cc: Christoph Hellwig, linux-nvme-IAPFreCvJWM7uuMidbF8XUB+6BGkLq7r,
	linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, Yishai Hadas, Moni Shoua

> On Jun 24, 2016, at 5:32 PM, Marta Rybczynska <mrybczyn-FNhOzJFKnXGHXe+LvDLADg@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>

> ----- Le 24 Juin 16, à 15:40, Majd Dibbiny majd-VPRAkNaXOzVWk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org a écrit :
>
>>> On Jun 24, 2016, at 2:02 PM, Marta Rybczynska <mrybczyn-FNhOzJFKnXGHXe+LvDLADg@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello Christoph,
>>> Thanks for the answer. I do indeed have more general problems with
>>> ROCEv2: ib_send_bw works fine for ROCEv1 but not with ROCEv2. I'm
>>> going to follow with the Mellanox persons as it seems to be mlx4 or
>>> configuration-related.
>> Hi Marta,
>>
>> Do you run with RDMA-CM?
>> Can you please provide the command lines you use and the GIDs table?
>
> Hello Majd,
> Yes, it's using RDMA-CM. I have re-connected the network and the
This might be related to the fact that you need to configure the RDMA CM mode using configfs. (By default it's V1)

From: Majd Dibbiny @ 2016-06-24 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2016-06-24 14:41                         ` Marta Rybczynska
From: Marta Rybczynska @ 2016-06-24 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Majd Dibbiny
  Cc: Christoph Hellwig, linux-nvme-IAPFreCvJWM7uuMidbF8XUB+6BGkLq7r,

----- Le 24 Juin 16, à 16:38, Majd Dibbiny majd-VPRAkNaXOzVWk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org a écrit :

>>> Hi Marta,
>>>
>>> Do you run with RDMA-CM?
>>> Can you please provide the command lines you use and the GIDs table?
>>
>> Hello Majd,
>> Yes, it's using RDMA-CM. I have re-connected the network and the
> This might be related to the fact that you need to configure the RDMA CM mode
> using configfs. (By default it's V1)

This isn't in fact working for me in 4.7+ (does work fine in OFED kernel 3.10).
Write to default_roce_mode does give Permission denied even for root (haven't
debugged this one, however).

From: Marta Rybczynska @ 2016-06-24 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

----- Le 24 Juin 16, ? 16:38, Majd Dibbiny majd at mellanox.com a ?crit :

mrybczyn at kalray.eu