* Btrfs wiki, add Parrot as production user
@ 2019-08-27  0:55 Chris Murphy
From: Chris Murphy @ 2019-08-27  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Btrfs BTRFS

https://blog.parrotlinux.org/parrot-4-4-release-notes/

Looks like they switched to Btrfs by default for / and /home.

I think they should be listed on
https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Production_Users

--
Chris Murphy

* Re: Btrfs wiki, add Parrot as production user
@ 2019-08-27 12:46 ` David Sterba
From: David Sterba @ 2019-08-27 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Murphy; +Cc: Btrfs BTRFS

On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 06:55:47PM -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
> https://blog.parrotlinux.org/parrot-4-4-release-notes/
>
> Looks like they switched to Btrfs by default for / and /home.
>
> I think they should be listed on
> https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Production_Users

Added, thanks for the tip.

* Re: Btrfs wiki, add Parrot as production user
@ 2019-09-28  2:38   ` Nicholas D Steeves
From: Nicholas D Steeves @ 2019-09-28  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dsterba, Chris Murphy; +Cc: Btrfs BTRFS

Hi David,

David Sterba <dsterba@suse.cz> writes:

> On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 06:55:47PM -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
>> https://blog.parrotlinux.org/parrot-4-4-release-notes/
>>
>> Looks like they switched to Btrfs by default for / and /home.
>>
>> I think they should be listed on
>> https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Production_Users
>
> Added, thanks for the tip.

If this is the criteria for Production Users, then NeptuneOS can also be
added.  This distribution was an early adopter who defaulted to btrfs
since sometime around 2014, using linux-3.13.11.

By the way, would you please document that the Debian kernel team
backports fixes release-critical (eg: data loss) patches to their stable
kernel, provides a recent mainline kernel via stable-backports (or
$codename-backports), and finally also provides recent btrfs-progs via
that same stable-backports source? (I've been responsible for
btrfs-progs backports since 2016)

It might also be worth noting that the Debian installer doesn't yet
support installation to subvolumes, the Ubuntu installer doesn't support
configuration of subvolumes, and I think neither does Calamares installer
(@ and @home are hard-coded like in Ubuntu IIRC).

Also--to my alarm--the upstream Calamares installer defaults to
compress=lzo, with no way for the user to opt-out.  IMHO this should be
documented for the benefit of conservative users who wish to avoid the
once-a-year newly-found compression bug.

Regards,
Nicholas

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Btrfs wiki, add Parrot as production user
@ 2019-09-28  4:58     ` Andrei Borzenkov
From: Andrei Borzenkov @ 2019-09-28  4:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicholas D Steeves, dsterba, Chris Murphy; +Cc: Btrfs BTRFS

28.09.2019 5:38, Nicholas D Steeves пишет:
> Hi David,
>
> David Sterba <dsterba@suse.cz> writes:
>
>> On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 06:55:47PM -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
>>> https://blog.parrotlinux.org/parrot-4-4-release-notes/
>>>
>>> Looks like they switched to Btrfs by default for / and /home.
>>>
>>> I think they should be listed on
>>> https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Production_Users
>>
>> Added, thanks for the tip.
>
> If this is the criteria for Production Users, then NeptuneOS can also be
> added.  This distribution was an early adopter who defaulted to btrfs
> since sometime around 2014, using linux-3.13.11.

Along the same lines all current SUSE distributions (both commercial SLE
and openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed) default to root on btrfs (with
customizable subvolumes, snapshots and rollbacks) with transactional
updates as an installation option.

* Re: Btrfs wiki, add Parrot as production user
@ 2019-09-28 13:23     ` David Sterba
From: David Sterba @ 2019-09-28 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicholas D Steeves; +Cc: Chris Murphy, Btrfs BTRFS

On Fri, Sep 27, 2019 at 10:38:44PM -0400, Nicholas D Steeves wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> David Sterba <dsterba@suse.cz> writes:
>
> > On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 06:55:47PM -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
> >> https://blog.parrotlinux.org/parrot-4-4-release-notes/
> >>
> >> Looks like they switched to Btrfs by default for / and /home.
> >>
> >> I think they should be listed on
> >> https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Production_Users
> >
> > Added, thanks for the tip.
>
> If this is the criteria for Production Users, then NeptuneOS can also be
> added.  This distribution was an early adopter who defaulted to btrfs
> since sometime around 2014, using linux-3.13.11.

Can be added too.

> By the way, would you please document that the Debian kernel team
> backports fixes release-critical (eg: data loss) patches to their stable
> kernel, provides a recent mainline kernel via stable-backports (or
> $codename-backports), and finally also provides recent btrfs-progs via
> that same stable-backports source? (I've been responsible for
> btrfs-progs backports since 2016)

But this is too detailed for an overview page. Each
vendor/distro/company should have some sort of documentation about that
(wiki, product landing page, etc).

> It might also be worth noting that the Debian installer doesn't yet
> support installation to subvolumes, the Ubuntu installer doesn't support
> configuration of subvolumes, and I think neither does Calamares installer
> (@ and @home are hard-coded like in Ubuntu IIRC).

Same.

> Also--to my alarm--the upstream Calamares installer defaults to
> compress=lzo, with no way for the user to opt-out.  IMHO this should be
> documented for the benefit of conservative users who wish to avoid the
> once-a-year newly-found compression bug.

Documented yes (and perhaps reported) but not on the community wiki.