The attached patch does the following: 1. Remove blkdev_release_request(Request); it was an unnecessary wrapper around blk_put_request(Request). Likely some leftover from pre-BIO time... 2. Abstract out the fine __scsi_insert_special() function out from the SCSI code. Now that I have finally managed to kill all those IDE 'specific' REQ_BLAH request types, we can do this final step, and it will be used soon at least by ATA code as well. The goal is that scsi_request_fn and do_ide_request should start to look similar like silblings. Its called blk_insert_request() now and even documented in code. 3. Change some stuff over from extern inline to static inline in blkdev.h. (trivia...) This patch doesn't change *any* functionality, so its not exposing SCSI to any danger :-). Please apply. Thanks.