* random pkt generator PMD
@ 2016-06-15  9:43 Yerden Zhumabekov
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Yerden Zhumabekov @ 2016-06-15  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hello everybody,

DPDK already got a number of PMDs for various eth devices, it even has
PMD emulations for backends such as pcap, sw rings etc.

I've been thinking about the idea of having PMD which would generate
mbufs on the fly in some randomized fashion. This would serve goals
like, for example:

1) running tests for applications with network processing capabilities
without additional software packet generators;
2) making performance measurements with no hw inteference;
3) ability to run without root privileges, --no-pci, --no-huge, for CI
build, so on.

Maybe there's no such need, and these goals may be achieved by other
means and this idea is flawed? Any thoughts?

* Re: random pkt generator PMD
@ 2016-06-15  9:49 ` Bruce Richardson
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Bruce Richardson @ 2016-06-15  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yerden Zhumabekov; +Cc: dev

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 03:43:56PM +0600, Yerden Zhumabekov wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> DPDK already got a number of PMDs for various eth devices, it even has PMD
> emulations for backends such as pcap, sw rings etc.
>
> I've been thinking about the idea of having PMD which would generate mbufs
> on the fly in some randomized fashion. This would serve goals like, for
> example:
>
> 1) running tests for applications with network processing capabilities
> without additional software packet generators;
> 2) making performance measurements with no hw inteference;
> 3) ability to run without root privileges, --no-pci, --no-huge, for CI
> build, so on.
>
> Maybe there's no such need, and these goals may be achieved by other means
> and this idea is flawed? Any thoughts?

Isn't some of this already covered by the NULL PMD? Perhaps it could be extended
or enhanced to meet some more of your requirements?

/Bruce

* Re: random pkt generator PMD
@ 2016-06-15 10:03   ` Yerden Zhumabekov
From: Yerden Zhumabekov @ 2016-06-15 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Richardson; +Cc: dev

On 15.06.2016 15:49, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 03:43:56PM +0600, Yerden Zhumabekov wrote:
>> Hello everybody,
>>
>> DPDK already got a number of PMDs for various eth devices, it even has PMD
>> emulations for backends such as pcap, sw rings etc.
>>
>> I've been thinking about the idea of having PMD which would generate mbufs
>> on the fly in some randomized fashion. This would serve goals like, for
>> example:
>>
>> 1) running tests for applications with network processing capabilities
>> without additional software packet generators;
>> 2) making performance measurements with no hw inteference;
>> 3) ability to run without root privileges, --no-pci, --no-huge, for CI
>> build, so on.
>>
>> Maybe there's no such need, and these goals may be achieved by other means
>> and this idea is flawed? Any thoughts?
> Isn't some of this already covered by the NULL PMD? Perhaps it could be extended
> or enhanced to meet some more of your requirements?
>
> /Bruce
Right, but development of various features regarding L3/L4 etc requires
more subtle approach, like live packets, different protocol versions,
fields manipulation. In this case some packet mangling/randomizing
capabilities would be quite useful. Something similar to what is done in
Pktgen, but more lightweight approach, in a same app.

I've almost made my mind :) so the next question: is there any guide on
PMD dev? I'm looking through rte_ether.h right now, but some doc would
be very nice.

* Re: random pkt generator PMD
@ 2016-06-15 10:07     ` Bruce Richardson
From: Bruce Richardson @ 2016-06-15 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yerden Zhumabekov; +Cc: dev

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 04:03:59PM +0600, Yerden Zhumabekov wrote:
> On 15.06.2016 15:49, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> >On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 03:43:56PM +0600, Yerden Zhumabekov wrote:
> >>Hello everybody,
> >>
> >>DPDK already got a number of PMDs for various eth devices, it even has PMD
> >>emulations for backends such as pcap, sw rings etc.
> >>
> >>I've been thinking about the idea of having PMD which would generate mbufs
> >>on the fly in some randomized fashion. This would serve goals like, for
> >>example:
> >>
> >>1) running tests for applications with network processing capabilities
> >>without additional software packet generators;
> >>2) making performance measurements with no hw inteference;
> >>3) ability to run without root privileges, --no-pci, --no-huge, for CI
> >>build, so on.
> >>
> >>Maybe there's no such need, and these goals may be achieved by other means
> >>and this idea is flawed? Any thoughts?
> >Isn't some of this already covered by the NULL PMD? Perhaps it could be extended
> >or enhanced to meet some more of your requirements?
> >
> >/Bruce
> Right, but development of various features regarding L3/L4 etc requires more
> subtle approach, like live packets, different protocol versions, fields
> manipulation. In this case some packet mangling/randomizing capabilities
> would be quite useful. Something similar to what is done in Pktgen, but more
> lightweight approach, in a same app.
>
> I've almost made my mind :) so the next question: is there any guide on PMD
> dev? I'm looking through rte_ether.h right now, but some doc would be very
> nice.

Unfortunately not. My suggestion is to take one of the simple vdev's e.g. ring,
pcap, null, and work off a copy of it.

/Bruce

* Re: random pkt generator PMD
@ 2016-06-15 10:43 ` Dumitrescu, Cristian
From: Dumitrescu, Cristian @ 2016-06-15 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yerden Zhumabekov, dev

How about a Perl/Python script to generate a PCAP file with random packets and then feed the PCAP file to the PCAP PMD?

Random can mean different requirements for different users/application, I think it is difficult to fit this  under a simple generic API. Customizing the script for different requirements if a far better option in my opinion.

Regards,
Cristian

* Re: random pkt generator PMD
@ 2016-06-15 11:10   ` Yerden Zhumabekov
                       ` (3 more replies)
From: Yerden Zhumabekov @ 2016-06-15 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dumitrescu, Cristian, dev

On 15.06.2016 16:43, Dumitrescu, Cristian wrote:

> [...]

AFAIK, the thing about pcap pmd is that one needs to rewind pcap file
once pcap pmd reaches its end. It requires additional (non-generic)
handling in app code.

* Re: random pkt generator PMD
@ 2016-06-15 11:25     ` Panu Matilainen
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Panu Matilainen @ 2016-06-15 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yerden Zhumabekov, Dumitrescu, Cristian, dev

On 06/15/2016 02:10 PM, Yerden Zhumabekov wrote:

> On 15.06.2016 16:43, Dumitrescu, Cristian wrote:

So add a loop-mode to pcap pmd?

	- Panu -

* Re: random pkt generator PMD
@ 2016-06-15 11:25     ` Dumitrescu, Cristian
From: Dumitrescu, Cristian @ 2016-06-15 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yerden Zhumabekov, dev

Yes, this is an obvious improvement that needs to happen to PCAP PMD.

* Re: random pkt generator PMD
@ 2016-06-15 11:40     ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2016-06-15 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yerden Zhumabekov; +Cc: dev, Dumitrescu, Cristian

2016-06-15 17:10, Yerden Zhumabekov:
> On 15.06.2016 16:43, Dumitrescu, Cristian wrote:
> > From: dev [mailto:dev-bounces@dpdk.org] On Behalf Of Yerden Zhumabekov
> >> I've been thinking about the idea of having PMD which would generate
> >> mbufs on the fly in some randomized fashion. This would serve goals
> >> like, for example:
> >>
> >> 1) running tests for applications with network processing capabilities
> >> without additional software packet generators;
> >> 2) making performance measurements with no hw inteference;
> >> 3) ability to run without root privileges, --no-pci, --no-huge, for CI
> >> build, so on.
> >>
> >> Maybe there's no such need, and these goals may be achieved by other
> >> means and this idea is flawed? Any thoughts?
> > How about a Perl/Python script to generate a PCAP file with random packets and then feed the PCAP file to the PCAP PMD?
> >
> > Random can mean different requirements for different users/application, I think it is difficult to fit this  under a simple generic API. Customizing the script for different requirements if a far better option in my opinion.
>
> AFAIK, the thing about pcap pmd is that one needs to rewind pcap file
> once pcap pmd reaches its end. It requires additional (non-generic)
> handling in app code.

This kind of specific configuration could be done with devargs.

* Re: random pkt generator PMD
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-06-15 11:48     ` Mcnamara, John
From: Mcnamara, John @ 2016-06-15 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yerden Zhumabekov, Dumitrescu, Cristian, dev

Hi,

Correct, the PCAP PMD currently stops generating packets once it reached the eof, for the file based interface. However, it could be extended to read a pcap into memory or mbufs and replay it/them. That might be a useful starting point before developing a new PMD.

John

* Re: random pkt generator PMD
@ 2016-06-15 11:50 ` Jay Rolette
From: Jay Rolette @ 2016-06-15 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yerden Zhumabekov; +Cc: DPDK

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 4:43 AM, Yerden Zhumabekov <e_zhumabekov@sts.kz>
wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> DPDK already got a number of PMDs for various eth devices, it even has PMD
> emulations for backends such as pcap, sw rings etc.
>
> I've been thinking about the idea of having PMD which would generate mbufs
> on the fly in some randomized fashion. This would serve goals like, for
> example:
>
> 1) running tests for applications with network processing capabilities
> without additional software packet generators;
> 2) making performance measurements with no hw inteference;
> 3) ability to run without root privileges, --no-pci, --no-huge, for CI
> build, so on.
>
> Maybe there's no such need, and these goals may be achieved by other means
> and this idea is flawed? Any thoughts?

Are you thinking of something along the lines of what BreakingPoint (now
part of Ixia) does, but as an open source software tool?

* Re: random pkt generator PMD
@ 2016-06-15 12:11       ` Dumitrescu, Cristian
From: Dumitrescu, Cristian @ 2016-06-15 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dumitrescu, Cristian, Yerden Zhumabekov, dev

Please note the PCAP file rewind code is already available as part of the source port in librte_port, it might be just straightforward to fit this code into the PCAP PMD.

Since the NICs generate packets forever, my recommendation is to have the loop/rewind mode as the default behavior for the reworked PCAP PMD, with potentially an option to disable the loop/rewind passed through dev args.

* Re: random pkt generator PMD
@ 2016-06-15 12:11   ` Yerden Zhumabekov
From: Yerden Zhumabekov @ 2016-06-15 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jay Rolette; +Cc: DPDK

On 15.06.2016 17:50, Jay Rolette wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 4:43 AM, Yerden Zhumabekov <e_zhumabekov@sts.kz>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello everybody,
>>
>> DPDK already got a number of PMDs for various eth devices, it even has PMD
>> emulations for backends such as pcap, sw rings etc.
>>
>> I've been thinking about the idea of having PMD which would generate mbufs
>> on the fly in some randomized fashion. This would serve goals like, for
>> example:
>>
>> 1) running tests for applications with network processing capabilities
>> without additional software packet generators;
>> 2) making performance measurements with no hw inteference;
>> 3) ability to run without root privileges, --no-pci, --no-huge, for CI
>> build, so on.
>>
>> Maybe there's no such need, and these goals may be achieved by other means
>> and this idea is flawed? Any thoughts?
>>
> Are you thinking of something along the lines of what BreakingPoint (now
> part of Ixia) does, but as an open source software tool?

More dreaming than thinking though :) Live flows generation, malware,
attacks simulation etc is way out of scope of PMD dev, I guess.

* Re: random pkt generator PMD
@ 2016-06-15 12:14       ` Yerden Zhumabekov
From: Yerden Zhumabekov @ 2016-06-15 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Panu Matilainen, Dumitrescu, Cristian, dev

On 15.06.2016 17:25, Panu Matilainen wrote:

>>> How about a Perl/Python script to generate a PCAP file with random
>>> packets and then feed the PCAP file to the PCAP PMD?
>>>
>>> Random can mean different requirements for different
>>> users/application, I think it is difficult to fit this  under a simple
>>> generic API. Customizing the script for different requirements if a
>>> far better option in my opinion.
>>
>> AFAIK, the thing about pcap pmd is that one needs to rewind pcap file
>> once pcap pmd reaches its end. It requires additional (non-generic)
>> handling in app code.
>
> So add a loop-mode to pcap pmd?

It would be nice to have an option like "...,rewind=1,...".

* Re: random pkt generator PMD
@ 2016-06-15 12:24         ` Panu Matilainen
From: Panu Matilainen @ 2016-06-15 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yerden Zhumabekov, Dumitrescu, Cristian, dev

On 06/15/2016 03:14 PM, Yerden Zhumabekov wrote:

> On 15.06.2016 17:25, Panu Matilainen wrote:

>>> AFAIK, the thing about pcap pmd is that one needs to rewind pcap file
>>> once pcap pmd reaches its end. It requires additional (non-generic)
>>> handling in app code.
>>
>> So add a loop-mode to pcap pmd?
>
> It would be nice to have an option like "...,rewind=1,...".

As Cristian points out in
http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2016-June/041589.html, the current pmd
behavior of stopping is the odd man out in the pmd crowd.

Rather than whether to rewind or not, I'd make the number of loops
configurable, defaulting to forever and 1 being the equal to current
behavior.

	- Panu -

* Re: random pkt generator PMD
@ 2016-06-15 12:25           ` Dumitrescu, Cristian
From: Dumitrescu, Cristian @ 2016-06-15 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Panu Matilainen, Yerden Zhumabekov, dev

+1

* Re: random pkt generator PMD
@ 2016-06-15 12:33     ` Jay Rolette
From: Jay Rolette @ 2016-06-15 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yerden Zhumabekov; +Cc: DPDK

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 7:11 AM, Yerden Zhumabekov <e_zhumabekov@sts.kz>
wrote:

> On 15.06.2016 17:50, Jay Rolette wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 4:43 AM, Yerden Zhumabekov <e_zhumabekov@sts.kz>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hello everybody,
>>>
>>> DPDK already got a number of PMDs for various eth devices, it even has
>>> PMD
>>> emulations for backends such as pcap, sw rings etc.
>>>
>>> I've been thinking about the idea of having PMD which would generate
>>> mbufs
>>> on the fly in some randomized fashion. This would serve goals like, for
>>> example:
>>>
>>> 1) running tests for applications with network processing capabilities
>>> without additional software packet generators;
>>> 2) making performance measurements with no hw inteference;
>>> 3) ability to run without root privileges, --no-pci, --no-huge, for CI
>>> build, so on.
>>>
>>> Maybe there's no such need, and these goals may be achieved by other
>>> means
>>> and this idea is flawed? Any thoughts?
>>>
>>> Are you thinking of something along the lines of what BreakingPoint (now
>> part of Ixia) does, but as an open source software tool?
>>

> More dreaming than thinking though :) Live flows generation, malware,
> attacks simulation etc is way out of scope of PMD dev, I guess.

Having a DPDK-based open-source BreakingPoint app would be a _fantastic_
tool for the security community, but yes, it doesn't really make sense to
put any of that logic in the PMD itself.

Were you more after the capabilities from that sort of tool or the
experience of writing a PMD?

* Re: random pkt generator PMD
@ 2016-06-15 12:48       ` Yerden Zhumabekov
From: Yerden Zhumabekov @ 2016-06-15 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jay Rolette; +Cc: DPDK

On 15.06.2016 18:33, Jay Rolette wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 7:11 AM, Yerden Zhumabekov <e_zhumabekov@sts.kz>
> wrote:
>>
>> On 15.06.2016 17:50, Jay Rolette wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 4:43 AM, Yerden Zhumabekov <e_zhumabekov@sts.kz>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello everybody,

>>> part of Ixia) does, but as an open source software tool?
>>>

>> More dreaming than thinking though :) Live flows generation, malware,
>> attacks simulation etc is way out of scope of PMD dev, I guess.
>>
> Having a DPDK-based open-source BreakingPoint app would be a _fantastic_
> tool for the security community, but yes, it doesn't really make sense to
> put any of that logic in the PMD itself.
>
> Were you more after the capabilities from that sort of tool or the
> experience of writing a PMD?

We're developing packet processing applications for our company and, of
course, having a testing tool with such capabilities would be great. As
for experience in PMD development - sure, why not getting it.

* Re: random pkt generator PMD
@ 2016-06-15 12:54             ` Yerden Zhumabekov
From: Yerden Zhumabekov @ 2016-06-15 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dumitrescu, Cristian, Panu Matilainen, dev

On 15.06.2016 18:25, Dumitrescu, Cristian wrote:

>>> It would be nice to have an option like "...,rewind=1,...".
>> As Cristian points out in
>> http://dpdk.org/ml/archives/dev/2016-June/041589.html, the current pmd
>> behavior of stopping is the odd man out in the pmd crowd.
>>
>> Rather than whether to rewind or not, I'd make the number of loops
>> configurable, defaulting to forever and 1 being the equal to current
>> behavior.
>>
>> 	- Panu -
> +1

I'm afraid, all packets from pcap file would need to be preloaded to
memory. Otherwise, each loop would infer pcap_open/pcap_close(), am I wrong?

* Re: random pkt generator PMD
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-06-15 13:02 ` Neil Horman
From: Neil Horman @ 2016-06-15 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yerden Zhumabekov; +Cc: dev

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 03:43:56PM +0600, Yerden Zhumabekov wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> DPDK already got a number of PMDs for various eth devices, it even has PMD
> emulations for backends such as pcap, sw rings etc.
>
> I've been thinking about the idea of having PMD which would generate mbufs
> on the fly in some randomized fashion. This would serve goals like, for
> example:
>
> 1) running tests for applications with network processing capabilities
> without additional software packet generators;
> 2) making performance measurements with no hw inteference;
> 3) ability to run without root privileges, --no-pci, --no-huge, for CI
> build, so on.
>
> Maybe there's no such need, and these goals may be achieved by other means
> and this idea is flawed? Any thoughts?

I think you already have a solution to this problem.  Linux/BSD have multiple
user space packet generators that can dump thier output to a pcap format file,
and dpdk has a pcap pmd that accepts a pcap file as input to send in packets.

Neil

* Re: random pkt generator PMD
@ 2016-06-15 13:03               ` Dumitrescu, Cristian
From: Dumitrescu, Cristian @ 2016-06-15 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yerden Zhumabekov, Panu Matilainen, dev

This exactly what the code in source port is doing.

Basically, this is optimized for the case when number of packets in the PCAP file is relatively small, so the PCAP memory footprint when loaded into memory is small so it fits the L1/L2 cache. Provides traffic generation capability when performance measurements are not key: testing, code development on your laptop while on board of a plane, simulation environments, etc.

When the PCAP is large (e.g. capture of the traffic in your local cloud for 2 mins), then PCAP memory gets swapped to disk and performance obviously drops. Still better than opening PCAC for each packet. Useful for e.g. IDS/IPS testing.

* Re: random pkt generator PMD
@ 2016-06-15 13:30                 ` Arnon Warshavsky
From: Arnon Warshavsky @ 2016-06-15 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dumitrescu, Cristian; +Cc: Yerden Zhumabekov, Panu Matilainen, dev

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 4:03 PM, Dumitrescu, Cristian <
cristian.dumitrescu@intel.com> wrote:

> [...]

If you are after continuous traffic that varies all the time in high
performance rather than loop the same pcap over and over again,
check out  the T-Rex traffic generator which is an open source and dpdk
based.
https://trex-tgn.cisco.com/

/Arnon

* Re: random pkt generator PMD
@ 2016-06-16  6:20   ` Yerden Zhumabekov
From: Yerden Zhumabekov @ 2016-06-16  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neil Horman; +Cc: dev

On 15.06.2016 19:02, Neil Horman wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 03:43:56PM +0600, Yerden Zhumabekov wrote:
>> Hello everybody,
>>
>> DPDK already got a number of PMDs for various eth devices, it even has PMD
>> emulations for backends such as pcap, sw rings etc.
>>
>> I've been thinking about the idea of having PMD which would generate mbufs
>> on the fly in some randomized fashion. This would serve goals like, for
>> example:
>>
>> 1) running tests for applications with network processing capabilities
>> without additional software packet generators;
>> 2) making performance measurements with no hw inteference;
>> 3) ability to run without root privileges, --no-pci, --no-huge, for CI
>> build, so on.
>>
>> Maybe there's no such need, and these goals may be achieved by other means
>> and this idea is flawed? Any thoughts?
>>
> I think you already have a solution to this problem.  Linux/BSD have multiple
> user space packet generators that can dump thier output to a pcap format file,
> and dpdk has a pcap pmd that accepts a pcap file as input to send in packets.

Things that I don't like about the idea of using PCAP PMD:

1) the need to create additional files with additional scripts and keep
those with your test suite;
2) the need to rewind pcap once you played it (fixable);
3) reading packets one-by-one, file operations which may lead to perf
impact;
4) low variability among source packets.

Those are things which put me on idea of randomized packet generator
PMD. Possible devargs could be:
1) id of a template, like "ipv4", "ipv6", "dot1q" etc;
2) size of mbuf payload;
3) array of tuples like (offset, size, value) with value being exact
value or "rnd" keyword.

* Re: random pkt generator PMD
@ 2016-06-21  8:43       ` Yerden Zhumabekov
From: Yerden Zhumabekov @ 2016-06-21  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Richardson; +Cc: dev

I've developed some preliminary version of the driver. The code is
derived from Null PMD, but required a lot of rework.

It uses following devargs to generate packets:

1) edit=offset:size:[rnd|value]
     Edit a field within an mbuf packet data with given offset and size.
Mark it as 'rnd' or assign it a hex value, for example:
    'edit=8:16:rnd' tags field with offset 8 bytes and with size of 16
bytes random-generated,
    'edit=14:4:0xdeadbeef' assigns a specified sequence of bytes to the
field (network byte order).

2) tmpl=name
     Use a template with name. Instead of editing data manually, specify
a hard-coded template and then edit only intended fields. Implemented
icmp4, tcp4, but needs to be expanded.

3) size=len
     Specify a size of packet. May not be less than size of template
(checked on devinit).

I ran testpmd (start/stop), then l2fwd, looks like it works, but I'd be
happy to hear about additional tests I need to run to ensure the PMD
conformance.

With 64 bytes packet and one 8-byte random field it's about 6-7 Mpps
now. I use rte_rand()/lrand48() as a source of random bytes, it impacts
a performance, but I haven't come up with anything else.