From: Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@pobox.com>
To: Matt Reppert <repp0017@tc.umn.edu>
Cc: Pedro Ribeiro <deadheart@netcabo.pt>, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Problem with mii-tool && 2.6.0-test1-ac2
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 23:57:57 -0400	[thread overview]

Matt Reppert wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 19:22:30 +0100
> Pedro Ribeiro <deadheart@netcabo.pt> wrote:
>

>>If I compile the 8139 ethernet support as a module (as I always did -
>>module name >> 8130too) I will get an error in make modules_install.
>>However, if I build it in the kernel it will work just fine. The problem
>>is that now when I try to do a simple mii-tool -F 100baseTX-FD eth0
>>(because my eth always stats at 100 Half duplex) I get this error:
>>
>>SIOCGMIIPHY on 'eth0' failed: Operation not supported
>

> What's the error you get on install? I don't have a problem doing it on
> my iBook.
>
> You have to explicitly turn on MII support in 2.6-test; the kconfig option
> is CONFIG_MII; it's "Generic Media Independent Interface device support",
> the first item under "Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit)". This needs to be modular or
> on to use mii-tool, I imagine.

No, CONFIG_MII only occasionally affects mii-tool support.  Further,
CONFIG_MII is forced on if it is needed.

As I explained in another mail, older mii-tool binaries use the
traditional -- but non-standard -- ioctls for the MII operations.  Newer
versions of mii-tool use the proper SIOC[GS]MIIxxx ioctls.

The proper fix is to obtain the latest version of mii-tool, possibly
from net-utils cvs if nowhere else.

	Jeff