From: Doug Ledford <dledford@redhat.com>
To: Steven Cole <elenstev@mesatop.com>
Cc: backblue <backblue@netcabo.pt>,
	Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>,
	linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Error compiling, scsi 2.6.0-test1
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 03:51:50 -0400	[thread overview]

Steven Cole wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 12:59, backblue wrote:
>
>>hello Alan,
>>
>>I need this driver, but i dont know anouth of C, to code a new one, that old's on 2.6.0 :(, where to start? i really need it, i have everything scsi on my computer, with this controler, and i dont like the idea, of dont have suport to it!!
>>On 17 Jul 2003 12:51:42 +0100
>>Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:

>>>Nobody has coverted this driver to 2.6 yet. If someone does then it will
>>>get merged in, if not the initio support will get deleted in time.
>>>

> It looks like this came up a year ago:
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=102526383927111&w=2
>
> You might plead with Doug to finish the conversion.
>
> Steven

I wretched horribly when I read that driver.  Then I started to renounce
my computer ways to become a Tibetten Monk and live out the remainder of
my days in peace and solice.  Unfortunately, about that time, a space
thread passed another thread, opened up a short lived wormhole, and I
got a futuristic glimpse of myself in a robe and bald and I immediately
came back to my senses.  I still couldn't handle that driver code
though.  The urge to fix massive brokenness other than just PCI DMA code
issues was overwhelming to my right hand's obsessive/compulsive disorder.

However, as a hint to anyone out there, I fixed the other initio driver
a long ways back.  A person could pull those 3 (I think) changesets from
the kernel tree and see what I did.  If you ignore all the changes to
eliminate the fixed array of hosts and that kind of crap, and just
concentrate on the changes that involve the PCI DMA mapping, they should
apply almost perfectly into this other initio driver as they are very
close copies of each other.

--
   Doug Ledford <dledford@redhat.com>     919-754-3700 x44233
            Red Hat, Inc.