From: James Courtier-Dutton <James@superbug.demon.co.uk>
To: Jaroslav Kysela <perex@suse.cz>
Cc: Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de>,
	alsa-devel <alsa-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: Problem with multiopen on SB Audigy 2 / Mixer setting.
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 23:36:13 +0100	[thread overview]

Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, Takashi Iwai wrote:
>

>>At Wed, 8 Oct 2003 13:08:38 +0200 (CEST),
>>Jaroslav wrote:

>>>Yes, but the question is, if we want this behaviour. We expect that the
>>>rear channel will go only via rear speakers thus setting of Wave Surround
>>>Volume is required.
>>
>>but the signals from "rear" pcm stream should come in fact only from
>>the rear channels, regardless of "Wave Surround Playback Volume",
>>because it sets max send-volume to FX bus 2/3, and zero to others.
>>
>>setting "Wave Surround Playback" would allow other pcm streams to
>>route the front signals to the surround, but it's a user's choice.
>>i don't think this exclusive behavior is necessary.
>>

>>or am i missing something?
>

> Yes, my idea was to route signal from stereo applications to all channels,
> but if DVD (or other 4+.0+ format) is used, then use channels
> independently. It appears that James is trying to do something
> non-standard (perhaps playing two DVDs simultaneously), so I am not sure,
> if we should have these things in our configurations.
>
> It's something like "auto" stuff, but I would like to avoid user
> confusion.
>
> Anyway, users are already confused with emu10k1+ mixers, so we have to do
> things more simple.
>
> 						Jaroslav

The person who reported the "rear" issue was playing only games.
"front" had headphones plugged in, because that it is where the
headphone amp is, and "rear" was connected to speakers. (or the other
way arround, I don't remember).
The user was playing games so wanted sound coming out of the speakers,
together with any backround music they wanted. (so 2 opens on speakers
needed) and also using an application called "teamspeak", where the
person had a set of headphones with a mic, and they could use them to
talk to other players on their own team during play. They also wanted to
possibly play other sound sources into the headphones at the same time.

So, basically, hardware mixing 2 sources to "front", and at the same
time hardware mixing 2 sources to "rear", and with the help of my patch
files, they managed to do it.

As the SB Live and Audigy2 both allow this, then I don't think we should
prevent this sort of setup from working.

Regarding the mixers. I don't think we have to make things more simple
exactly. We should first decide which sliders we want for playback, and
what they should be called, and then decide how to implement them for
each sound card. That way, the naming will be consistent, and also
intuative to the user.

Maybe we should add the the config files config for mixer's as well as
the current pcm config, and let alsa-lib take what hardware mixer
controls there are, and via config files manipulate them to provide the
standard set that we wish all cards to present.

For example (what the user sees) : -
Master (controls all output channels at once)
Front (controls volume of front speakers)
Headphone (controls volume of headphones)
Rear  (controls volume of rear speakers)
Center/LFE (controls volume of Center/LFE speakers)

If the Headphone's are linked to Front, then combine those 2 sliders.
The conversion from what the user sees, to which registers actually get
set on the sound card, could be controlled by the config file, and
therefore allow for Mixer name changing, adding "Front/Rear Fader" could
all be added by the user into the config file, without any source code
having to change.

I think that the lack of a clear "mixer view to the user" has led to
mixer controls having non-intuitive names, and functions.

One think about the Windows mixer that I like, is that one has one
"playback mixer view" for controlling playback of sound from PC to
Speakers, and a totally different "recording mixer view" for when
recording from some source back into the PC.

Also, with this "mixer config file", we might be able to add features
like "0 db" levels, if the user so wishes.

There are already card specific config files, so having card specific
mixer config files should not be to difficult to implement.

Cheers
James