From: Joseph <joseph.mayer@protonmail.com>
To: "Mark Kettenis" <mark.kettenis@xs4all.nl>,
	"Cédric Le Goater" <clg@kaod.org>, "Greg Kurz" <groug@kaod.org>,
	"ppc@openbsd.org" <ppc@openbsd.org>
Cc: pjp@centroid.eu, QEMU Developers <qemu-devel@nongnu.org>,
	gardask@gmail.com, rgcinjp@disroot.org, daniel@pocock.pro,
	kite@centroid.eu, siliconbadger@protonmail.com,
	qemu-ppc@nongnu.org, david@gibson.dropbear.id.au
Subject: Re: QEMU-KVM offers OPAL firmware interface? OpenBSD guest support?
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 04:09:54 +0000	[thread overview]

Hi Mark, Cédric, Greg at the openbsd-ppc ML,

It is great to talk to you. Thank you for taking on the conversation.

Right, OpenBSD implements powernv meaning it runs on bare metal on
Power9, that is great.

What I wanted to ask about with this thread is:

To have the same utility of Power9 as of AMD64, it would be great to
have a high speed virtualizer, like what OpenBSD's VMM or Linux' KVM-
QEMU accomplish on AMD64.

Linux KVM-QEMU supports Power9 already so that's a great start: One
runs Linux powernv bare metal on Power9 hardware. Each VM is a
KVM-QEMU instance.

Is there any way today to make Linux-KVM-QEMU as VM host run
OpenBSD as a high speed (say >90% of bare metal performance, here
presume KVM uses PCIe passthrough) VM guest -

From the discussion I gather it's not possible without OpenBSD being
extended with pseries mode support, is it so?

(Great to see that Power hardware is on par with or faster than AMD64,
so the hardware part of this equation is clearly there: Power10 is
advertised to be released late this year, lithography will be down
from 14nm to 7, they say performance will 3x and electricity 1/3.)

Thanks!
Joseph