* Security working group meeting 2020-01-22
@ 2020-01-22 21:23 Joseph Reynolds
From: Joseph Reynolds @ 2020-01-22 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

Notes from the security working group meeting 2020-01-22:
Highlights below; details in
https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/wiki/Security-working-group

1. Discuss BMCWeb’s site identity certificate handling, specifically
intermediate certificates.  See
https://github.com/openbmc/bmcweb/#configuration

Other web servers have directives to concatenate the intermediate
certificates (excluding the root CA certificates) and send that. What
does BMCWeb do?

  - What is BMCWeb's default default?
  - Need better docs, for example: How can a BMC admin replace theBMCWeb
site cert?  Is it okay to concatenate intermediate certs? Can we
document this for BMCWeb?

2. Design discussions about aggregation broached the security topic :
https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/openbmc/2020-January/020142.html

We are not sure what security help is needed. at this point.

3. Revisit "Daemons should not run as root" -
https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/issues/3383

There is definite interest.  Who can work on this?  Possible initial
goal: convert bmcweb so it runs as a non-root user.  BMCWeb is selected
because it is higher risk because implements a network interface.

4. Merged BMCWeb commit to allow slower image uploads:
https://github.com/openbmc/bmcweb/commit/2b5e08e2915d886655a78aaabff40745dca6b517
   See also commit: 0e1cf26b1cd98e0ec069e6187434fcabf1e9c200 “Make the
max http request body size configurable”.

Minimal discussion.

5. Merged BMCWeb commit that added new messages for security events:
https://github.com/openbmc/bmcweb/commit/8988dda41319950476ebb146df06c2e7b3fbf44d

Minimal discussion.

6. How do we bring security assurance work into the OpenBMC project?  Is
there interest in considering Protection Profiles that apply to
OpenBMC?  We can use these as a systematic way review security topics.
For example, the Operating System Protection Profile (OSPP) talks about
cryptographic functions, audit logging, network security, secure boot,
etc.  The Virtualization Protection Profile (VPP) considers the BMC to
be part of the platform management system.

There was agreement that these security schemes are good starting points
to use as a guide.  DONE: Joseph added new “Security Assurance Workflow”
section to guide future work in this area -
https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/wiki/Security-working-group#security-assurance-workflow
.

- Joseph

* Re: bmcweb and certificate chains [WAS: Security working group meeting 2020-01-22]
@ 2020-01-24 17:19 ` Alexander Tereschenko
From: Alexander Tereschenko @ 2020-01-24 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

On 22-Jan-20 22:23, Joseph Reynolds wrote:
> Notes from the security working group meeting 2020-01-22:
> Highlights below; details in
> https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/wiki/Security-working-group
>

> 1. Discuss BMCWeb’s site identity certificate handling, specifically
> intermediate certificates.  See
> https://github.com/openbmc/bmcweb/#configuration

> Other web servers have directives to concatenate the intermediate
> certificates (excluding the root CA certificates) and send that. What
> does BMCWeb do?

>  - What is BMCWeb's default default?
>  - Need better docs, for example: How can a BMC admin replace
> theBMCWeb site cert?  Is it okay to concatenate intermediate certs?
> Can we document this for BMCWeb?

As discussed during the meeting, I've looked into that and looks like
bmcweb doesn't support sending the cert chain at all right now. When
certificate in a single file [1], just as we've discussed during the
meeting, and server's init code only loads those [2]. There's an API in
Boost.Asio that could allow loading a chain [3], but it's not used
anywhere, so for bmcweb to support that, a patch must be created.

HTH,
Alexander

[1] https://github.com/openbmc/bmcweb/blob/master/http/http_server.h#L159
[2] https://github.com/openbmc/bmcweb/blob/master/http/app.h#L158-L159
[3]
https://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_71_0/doc/html/boost_asio/reference/ssl__context/use_certificate_chain_file.html

* Re: bmcweb and certificate chains [WAS: Security working group meeting 2020-01-22]
@ 2020-01-27 16:03   ` Joseph Reynolds
From: Joseph Reynolds @ 2020-01-27 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Tereschenko, openbmc

On 1/24/20 11:19 AM, Alexander Tereschenko wrote:
> On 22-Jan-20 22:23, Joseph Reynolds wrote:
>> Notes from the security working group meeting 2020-01-22:
>> Highlights below; details in
>> https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/wiki/Security-working-group
>>

>> 1. Discuss BMCWeb’s site identity certificate handling, specifically
>> intermediate certificates.  See
>> https://github.com/openbmc/bmcweb/#configuration

>> Other web servers have directives to concatenate the intermediate
>> certificates (excluding the root CA certificates) and send that. What
>> does BMCWeb do?

>>  - What is BMCWeb's default default?
>>  - Need better docs, for example: How can a BMC admin replace
>> theBMCWeb site cert?  Is it okay to concatenate intermediate certs?
>> Can we document this for BMCWeb?
>
> As discussed during the meeting, I've looked into that and looks like
> bmcweb doesn't support sending the cert chain at all right now. When
> and certificate in a single file [1], just as we've discussed during
> the meeting, and server's init code only loads those [2]. There's an
> API in Boost.Asio that could allow loading a chain [3], but it's not
> used anywhere, so for bmcweb to support that, a patch must be created.

Thank you for finding that.  I think we want to add a function to BMCWeb
to be able to handle certificate chains.  Would we need to enhance the
REST APIs [4] to upload server certificates as part of this work?

[4]:
https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-dbus-interfaces/tree/master/xyz/openbmc_project/Certs

- Joseph

> HTH,
> Alexander
>
> [1] https://github.com/openbmc/bmcweb/blob/master/http/http_server.h#L159
> [2] https://github.com/openbmc/bmcweb/blob/master/http/app.h#L158-L159
> [3]
> https://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_71_0/doc/html/boost_asio/reference/ssl__context/use_certificate_chain_file.html

* Security workgroup meeting times
@ 2020-01-27 17:42 ` Joseph Reynolds
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Joseph Reynolds @ 2020-01-27 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

Team,

Let's try again to establish another OpenBMC Security Workgroup meeting
time.  The current meeting time (every other week 10am Pacific Daylight
Time) is working for some, but not for others.  To be clear, we would
use the same workgroup, just have alternate meeting times.

First, let's find a time that works for Australia, Asia, and Europe.
I've seen participation and continued interest from folks in those time
zones. Because the current meeting time is bad for them, let's establish
alternate times.

Second, I am thinking we could establish alternating meeting times. We
will not find a time that works for everyone.  I try to accommodate
folks who cannot attend by writing a summary of the topics and
conclusions, and by pushing the work back out into this email list.  But
that is not the same as attending a meeting.  I feel that the meetings
foster better responses and more participation than using the email list
alone.  For that reason, I want to continue to meet.  Hence, I am
proposing alternating meeting times.

Third, I have been running the meetings.  I plan to continue to handle
the Security workgroup meeting agenda, and can help set up the initial
workgroup meetings at alternate times, I would not plan to run them.  I
hope you will solve all the security problems while I am sleeping.
Fortunately, running meetings is easy: just go through the agenda,
introduce each item, wait for people to talk, and summarize the
outcome.  We need a volunteer leader for that.

Send me your ideas,
- Joseph

* Re: Security workgroup meeting times
@ 2020-01-28  0:24   ` Michael Richardson
From: Michael Richardson @ 2020-01-28  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Reynolds; +Cc: openbmc

Joseph Reynolds <jrey@linux.ibm.com> wrote:
    > Let's try again to establish another OpenBMC Security Workgroup meeting
    > time.  The current meeting time (every other week 10am Pacific Daylight
    > Time) is working for some, but not for others.  To be clear, we would
    > use the same workgroup, just have alternate meeting times.

    > First, let's find a time that works for Australia, Asia, and Europe.

There aren't any such times :-)
If you move to 7am PST, 10am Eastern, then it's 14:00 UTC, which is still
within the working day in Germany, Helsinki and Tel-Aviv.
In Beijing, that's 11pm. Seoul, 00:00, and Syndey, 2am.

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?iso=20200131&p1=188&p2=33&p3=235&p4=240&p5=37

Many left-coast types that I work with prefer 7am, as they can do the meeting
while still at home, before traffic, before school-drop-off, etc.
(And aren't they all supposed to be super-health-nuts who get up at 6am to do Yoga?)

    > Second, I am thinking we could establish alternating meeting times. We
    > will not find a time that works for everyone.  I try to accommodate
    > folks who cannot attend by writing a summary of the topics and
    > conclusions, and by pushing the work back out into this email list.

I've been on meetings that have simply alternated the AM/PM of the meeting.
     7pm California
     10pm NYC
     4am Berlin/5am Helsinki
     11am Beijing
     12:00 Seoul
     2pm Syndey

* Re: Security workgroup meeting times
@ 2020-01-28  0:29   ` Andrew Jeffery
From: Andrew Jeffery @ 2020-01-28  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Reynolds, openbmc

On Tue, 28 Jan 2020, at 04:12, Joseph Reynolds wrote:
> Team,
>
> Let's try again to establish another OpenBMC Security Workgroup meeting
> time.  The current meeting time (every other week 10am Pacific Daylight
> Time) is working for some, but not for others.  To be clear, we would
> use the same workgroup, just have alternate meeting times.
>
> First, let's find a time that works for Australia, Asia, and Europe.
> I've seen participation and continued interest from folks in those time
> zones. Because the current meeting time is bad for them, let's establish
> alternate times.
>
> Second, I am thinking we could establish alternating meeting times. We
> will not find a time that works for everyone.  I try to accommodate
> folks who cannot attend by writing a summary of the topics and
> conclusions, and by pushing the work back out into this email list.  But
> that is not the same as attending a meeting.  I feel that the meetings
> foster better responses and more participation than using the email list
> alone.  For that reason, I want to continue to meet.  Hence, I am
> proposing alternating meeting times.

What times specifically? I'm interested, and I'm in ACDT (UTC+10:30). Unless
we have people in NZ, I suspect the best time is sometime in my afternoon
for Asia and Europe. Thursday or Friday after 1430h ACDT would work best
for me.

Andrew

* RE: Security workgroup meeting times
@ 2020-01-28  0:50     ` Bruce Mitchell
From: Bruce Mitchell @ 2020-01-28  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Jeffery, Joseph Reynolds, openbmc

If you want to include Silicon Valley it seem like 22:00, 23:00, 00:00, 01:00, and 02:00 UTC/GMT are the only real options.

@ 2020-01-28 10:41       ` Alexander Tereschenko
From: Alexander Tereschenko @ 2020-01-28 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

On 28-Jan-20 01:50, Bruce Mitchell wrote:
> If you want to include Silicon Valley it seem like 22:00, 23:00, 00:00, 01:00, and 02:00 UTC/GMT are the only real options.

Should we maybe try something like http://whenisgood.net/ to sort out a
slot that works for everyone?

Current time works for me BTW and I'm located in Europe :)

* RE: Security workgroup meeting times
@ 2020-01-28 16:20         ` Bruce Mitchell
From: Bruce Mitchell @ 2020-01-28 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Tereschenko, openbmc

I also find the present time of Wednesday at 10:00am PDT (noon CDT) works well.

@ 2020-01-28 18:24     ` Alexander Tereschenko
From: Alexander Tereschenko @ 2020-01-28 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

On 27-Jan-20 17:03, Joseph Reynolds wrote:
> Thank you for finding that.  I think we want to add a function to
> BMCWeb to be able to handle certificate chains.  Would we need to
> enhance the REST APIs [4] to upload server certificates as part of
> this work?
>
> [4]:
> https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-dbus-interfaces/tree/master/xyz/openbmc_project/Certs

Yes, I think that'd be required, otherwise the only way the BMC admin
could provide that cert chain file would be via SSH, which of course
will not work for everyone.

* Security workgroup meeting times
@ 2020-05-13 18:31   ` Joseph Reynolds
From: Joseph Reynolds @ 2020-05-13 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc, Manojkiran Eda

Re-sending this email to refresh this topic.

Looking for a specific time and ideally someone to run the meeting.
See the replies in the archive here:
[...]

...snip...

* RE: Security workgroup meeting times
@ 2020-05-13 18:43     ` Bruce Mitchell
From: Bruce Mitchell @ 2020-05-13 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Reynolds, openbmc, Manojkiran Eda

@ 2020-05-13 21:50       ` Joseph Reynolds
From: Joseph Reynolds @ 2020-05-13 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Mitchell, openbmc, Manojkiran Eda

On 5/13/20 1:43 PM, Bruce Mitchell wrote:
> If you want to include Silicon Valley it seem like 22:00, 23:00, 00:00, 01:00, and 02:00 UTC/GMT are the only real options.

I think the current time (10:00am PDT) works for most Silicon Valley
folks.  I am looking for a second meeting time good for others not in
the Americas.  For example, we've has security collaborations from folks
in Switzerland Poland Russia India China and Australia, and I want to
find a time that work for those regions.

- Joseph

@ 2020-05-14 15:58         ` Michael Richardson
From: Michael Richardson @ 2020-05-14 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Reynolds; +Cc: Bruce Mitchell, openbmc, Manojkiran Eda