On 04/23/2018 10:30 AM, speck for Thomas Gleixner wrote: > On Sun, 22 Apr 2018, speck for Borislav Petkov wrote: > >> On Sun, Apr 22, 2018 at 05:53:50AM -0400, speck for Jon Masters wrote: >>> I'd prefer that too. But we had this conversation with Thomas already >>> and he wanted a "disable" option. It was fairly clearly spelled out that >>> it was to be "mdd" or "ssbd" and therefore "spec_store_bypass_disable". >> >> No, he wants "on,off,auto" so that we're in-line with PTI's and >> spectre_v2's options. So let's do: >> >> spec_store_bypass=[on|off|auto] >> >> and be done with the bikeshedding. The weather's too nice outside. > > Nope. You're reverting the meaning again. > > All mitigation options so far have on|off|auto where: > > - on: enables the mitigation > - off: disabled the mitigation > - auto: lets the kernel decided whether to enable/disable it > > Now your name is: spec_store_bypass which is a performance feature and not > the mitigation. So Jon is about right that spec_store_bypass_disable > describes the mitigation and the on/off/auto have then consistent behaviour > with kpti and spectre_v2, which admittedly could have named better. Thanks. So, let's all agree to keep spec_store_bypass_disable. It'll help to keep the distro knobs properly consistent with upstream. Jon. -- Computer Architect | Sent from my Fedora powered laptop