* [question] net: phy: rtl8211f: link speed shows 1000Mb/s but actual link speed in phy is 100Mb/s
@ 2020-05-12 12:48 Yonglong Liu
From: Yonglong Liu @ 2020-05-12 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn, Heiner Kallweit, David S. Miller
  Cc: netdev, linux-kernel, linuxarm, Salil Mehta

I use two devices, both support 1000M speed, they are directly connected
with a network cable. Two devices enable autoneg, and then do the following
test repeatedly:
	ifconfig eth5 down
	ifconfig eth5 up
	sleep $((RANDOM%6))
	ifconfig eth5 down
	ifconfig eth5 up
	sleep 10

With low probability, one device A link up with 100Mb/s, the other B link up with
1000Mb/s(the actual link speed read from phy is 100Mb/s), and the network can
not work.

device A:
Settings for eth5:
        Supported ports: [ TP ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Supported pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Supported FEC modes: Not reported
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
        Link partner advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                             100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
        Link partner advertised pause frame use: Symmetric
        Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Link partner advertised FEC modes: Not reported
        Speed: 100Mb/s
        Duplex: Full
        Port: MII
        PHYAD: 3
        Transceiver: internal
        Auto-negotiation: on
        Current message level: 0x00000036 (54)
                               probe link ifdown ifup
        Link detected: yes

The regs value read from mdio are:
reg 9 = 0x200
reg a = 0

device B:
Settings for eth5:
        Supported ports: [ TP ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Supported pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Supported FEC modes: Not reported
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
        Link partner advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                             100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                             1000baseT/Full
        Link partner advertised pause frame use: Symmetric
        Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Link partner advertised FEC modes: Not reported
        Speed: 1000Mb/s
        Duplex: Full
        Port: MII
        PHYAD: 3
        Transceiver: internal
        Auto-negotiation: on
        Current message level: 0x00000036 (54)
                               probe link ifdown ifup
        Link detected: yes

The regs value read from mdio are:
reg 9 = 0
reg a = 0x800

I had talk to the FAE of rtl8211f, they said if negotiation failed with 1000Mb/s,
rtl8211f will change reg 9 to 0, than try to negotiation with 100Mb/s.

The problem happened as:
ifconfig eth5 up -> phy_start -> phy_start_aneg -> phy_modify_changed(MII_CTRL1000)
(this time both A and B, reg 9 = 0x200) -> wait for link up -> (B: reg 9 changed to 0)
-> link up.

I think this is the bug of the rtl8211f itself, any one have an idea to avoid this bug?

When link up, update phydev->advertising before notify the eth driver, is this method
suitable? (phydev->advertising is config from user, if user just set one speed 1000M,
it's hard to )

* Re: [question] net: phy: rtl8211f: link speed shows 1000Mb/s but actual link speed in phy is 100Mb/s
@ 2020-05-12 14:00 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2020-05-12 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yonglong Liu
  Cc: Heiner Kallweit, David S. Miller, netdev, linux-kernel, linuxarm,
	Salil Mehta

On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 08:48:21PM +0800, Yonglong Liu wrote:
> [...]
>         Link partner advertised FEC modes: Not reported
>         Speed: 1000Mb/s
>         Duplex: Full
>         Port: MII
>         PHYAD: 3
>         Transceiver: internal
>         Auto-negotiation: on
>         Current message level: 0x00000036 (54)
>                                probe link ifdown ifup
>         Link detected: yes
>
> The regs value read from mdio are:
> reg 9 = 0
> reg a = 0x800
>
> I had talk to the FAE of rtl8211f, they said if negotiation failed with 1000Mb/s,
> rtl8211f will change reg 9 to 0, than try to negotiation with 100Mb/s.
>
> The problem happened as:
> ifconfig eth5 up -> phy_start -> phy_start_aneg -> phy_modify_changed(MII_CTRL1000)
> (this time both A and B, reg 9 = 0x200) -> wait for link up -> (B: reg 9 changed to 0)

This sounds like downshift, but not correctly working. 1Gbps requires
that 4 pairs in the cable work. If a 1Gbps link is negotiated, but
then does not establish because one of the pairs is broken, some PHYs
will try to 'downshift'. They drop down to 100Mbps, which only
requires two pairs of the cable to work. To do this, the PHY should
change what it is advertising, to no longer advertise 1G, just 100M
and 10M. The link partner should then try to use 100Mbps and
hopefully, a link is established.

Looking at the ethtool, you can see device A is reporting device B is
only advertising upto 100Mbps. Yet it is locally using 1G. That is
broken. So i would say device A has the problem. Are both PHYs
rtl8211f?

> I think this is the bug of the rtl8211f itself, any one have an idea
> to avoid this bug?

Are you 100% sure your cable and board layout is good? Is it trying
downshift because something is broken? Fix the cable/connector and the
reason to downshift goes away. But it does not solve the problem if a
customer has a broken cable. So you might want to deliberately cut a
pair in the cable so it becomes 100% reproducable and try to debug it
further. See if you can find out why auto-neg is not working
correctly.

	Andrew

* Re: [question] net: phy: rtl8211f: link speed shows 1000Mb/s but actual link speed in phy is 100Mb/s
@ 2020-05-13  1:34   ` Yonglong Liu
From: Yonglong Liu @ 2020-05-13  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn
  Cc: Heiner Kallweit, David S. Miller, netdev, linux-kernel, linuxarm,
	Salil Mehta

Hi, Andrew:
	Thanks for your reply!

On 2020/5/12 22:00, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> [...]
>> (this time both A and B, reg 9 = 0x200) -> wait for link up -> (B: reg 9 changed to 0)
>> -> link up.
>
> This sounds like downshift, but not correctly working. 1Gbps requires
> that 4 pairs in the cable work. If a 1Gbps link is negotiated, but
> then does not establish because one of the pairs is broken, some PHYs
> will try to 'downshift'. They drop down to 100Mbps, which only
> requires two pairs of the cable to work. To do this, the PHY should
> change what it is advertising, to no longer advertise 1G, just 100M
> and 10M. The link partner should then try to use 100Mbps and
> hopefully, a link is established.
>
> Looking at the ethtool, you can see device A is reporting device B is
> only advertising upto 100Mbps. Yet it is locally using 1G. That is
> broken. So i would say device A has the problem. Are both PHYs

Both PHY is rtl8211f. I think Device B is broken. Device B advertising
it supported 1G, but actually, in phy, downshift to 100M, so Device B
link up with 1G in driver side, but actually 100M in phy.

>> I think this is the bug of the rtl8211f itself, any one have an idea
>> to avoid this bug?
>
> Are you 100% sure your cable and board layout is good? Is it trying> downshift because something is broken? Fix the cable/connector and the

Will check the layout with hardware engineer. This happened with a low
probability. When this happened, another down/up operation or restart
autoneg will solved.

> reason to downshift goes away. But it does not solve the problem if a
> customer has a broken cable. So you might want to deliberately cut a
> pair in the cable so it becomes 100% reproducable and try to debug it
> further. See if you can find out why auto-neg is not working
> correctly.

So, your opinion is, maybe we should checkout whether the hardware layout
or cable have problem?

By the way, do we have some mechanism to solve this downshift in software
side? If the PHY advertising downshift to 100M, but software still have
advertising with 1G(just like Device B), it will always have a broken network.

@ 2020-05-13  1:59     ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2020-05-13  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yonglong Liu
  Cc: Heiner Kallweit, David S. Miller, netdev, linux-kernel, linuxarm,
	Salil Mehta

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 09:34:13AM +0800, Yonglong Liu wrote:
> [...]
> > that 4 pairs in the cable work. If a 1Gbps link is negotiated, but
> > then does not establish because one of the pairs is broken, some PHYs
> > will try to 'downshift'. They drop down to 100Mbps, which only
> > requires two pairs of the cable to work. To do this, the PHY should
> > change what it is advertising, to no longer advertise 1G, just 100M
> > and 10M. The link partner should then try to use 100Mbps and
> > hopefully, a link is established.
> >
> > Looking at the ethtool, you can see device A is reporting device B is
> > only advertising upto 100Mbps. Yet it is locally using 1G. That is
> > broken. So i would say device A has the problem. Are both PHYs
> > rtl8211f?
>
> Both PHY is rtl8211f. I think Device B is broken. Device B advertising
> it supported 1G, but actually, in phy, downshift to 100M, so Device B
> link up with 1G in driver side, but actually 100M in phy.

You have to be careful with the output of ethtool. Downshift is not
part of 802.3. There i no standard register to indicate it has
happened. Sometimes there is a vendor register. You should check the
datasheet, and look at what other PHY drivers do for this, and
phy_check_downshift().

> > Are you 100% sure your cable and board layout is good? Is it
> > trying downshift because something is broken? Fix the
> > cable/connector and the

> Will check the layout with hardware engineer. This happened with a low
> probability. When this happened, another down/up operation or restart
> autoneg will solved.

> > reason to downshift goes away. But it does not solve the problem if a
> > customer has a broken cable. So you might want to deliberately cut a
> > pair in the cable so it becomes 100% reproducable and try to debug it
> > further. See if you can find out why auto-neg is not working
> > correctly.
>
> So, your opinion is, maybe we should checkout whether the hardware layout
> or cable have problem?

Well, there are a couple of issues here.

It could be a hardware problem. Best case, it is the cable. But if you
can reproduce it with other boards, it is a board design issue, which
you might want to get fixed. If it happens for you in the lab, it will
probably happen out in the field.

You should also consider what you want to happen with a cable that
really is broken. It would be nice if downshift worked. Slower
networking is better than no networking. Unless you have a requirement
that 100Mbps is too slow for your use case. So you might want to debug
what is going wrong when downshift happens.

> By the way, do we have some mechanism to solve this downshift in software
> side? If the PHY advertising downshift to 100M, but software still have
> advertising with 1G(just like Device B), it will always have a broken network.

You might get some ideas from phy_check_downshift(). A lot will
depended on what information you can get from the PHY.

	 Andrew

* Re: [question] net: phy: rtl8211f: link speed shows 1000Mb/s but actual link speed in phy is 100Mb/s
@ 2020-05-13  3:04       ` Yonglong Liu
From: Yonglong Liu @ 2020-05-13  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn
  Cc: Heiner Kallweit, David S. Miller, netdev, linux-kernel, linuxarm,
	Salil Mehta

On 2020/5/13 9:59, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> [...]
> can reproduce it with other boards, it is a board design issue, which
> you might want to get fixed. If it happens for you in the lab, it will
> probably happen out in the field.
>
> You should also consider what you want to happen with a cable that
> really is broken. It would be nice if downshift worked. Slower
> networking is better than no networking. Unless you have a requirement
> that 100Mbps is too slow for your use case. So you might want to debug
> what is going wrong when downshift happens.
>
>> By the way, do we have some mechanism to solve this downshift in software
>> side? If the PHY advertising downshift to 100M, but software still have
>> advertising with 1G(just like Device B), it will always have a broken network.
>
> You might get some ideas from phy_check_downshift(). A lot will
> depended on what information you can get from the PHY.

Hi, Andrew:
	Thanks very much! That's so helpfull!