From: "Austin S. Hemmelgarn" <ahferroin7@gmail.com>
To: Henk Slager <eye1tm@gmail.com>, Brendan Hide <brendan@swiftspirit.co.za>
Cc: linux-btrfs <linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Allocator behaviour during device delete
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2016 07:09:21 -0400	[thread overview]

On 2016-06-10 15:26, Henk Slager wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 3:54 PM, Brendan Hide <brendan@swiftspirit.co.za> wrote:

>>> OK, I'm pretty sure I know what was going on in this case.  Your
>>> assumption that device delete uses the balance code is correct, and that
>>> is why you see what's happening happening.  There are two key bits that
>>> are missing though:
>>> 1. Balance will never allocate chunks when it doesn't need to.
>
> In relation to discussions w.r.t. enospc and device full of chunks, I
> say this 1. statement and I see different behavior with kernel 4.6.0
> tools 4.5.3
> On a idle fs with some fragmentation, I did balance -dusage=5, it
> completes succesfuly and leaves and new empty chunk (highest vaddr).
> Then balance -dusage=6, does 2 chunks with that usage level:
> - the zero filled last chunk is replaced with a new empty chunk (higher vaddr)
> - the 2 usage=6 chunks are gone
> - one chunk with the lowest vaddr saw its usage increase from 47 to 60
> - several metadata chunks have change slightly in usage
>
> It could be a 2-step datamove, but from just the states before and
> after balance I can't prove that.
I should have been more clear about this, I meant:
Balance will never allocate chunks if there's no data to move from the
one it's balance, or if it already has allocated a chunk which isn't yet
full.

IOW, If a chunk is empty, it won't trigger a new allocation to balance
just that chunk, and if the data in a chunk will all fit in the free
space in a chunk that's already been allocated by this balance run, it
will get packed there instead of triggering a new allocation.

What balance actually does is send everything selected by the filters
through the allocator again.  Using the convert filters makes balance
tell the allocator to start using that profile for new allocations,
doing a device delete tells the allocator to not use that device and
then runs balance.  This ends up being most of why balance is useful at
all, because it has the net effect of defragmenting free space, which in
turn can free up empty chunks.