From: Olivier MATZ <olivier.matz-pdR9zngts4EAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
To: dev-VfR2kkLFssw@public.gmane.org
Cc: Meir Tseitlin <mirots-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: rte_pktmbuf_alloc fails
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2014 09:26:36 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Meir,

On Tuesday, April 01, 2014 02:53:47 PM Meir Tseitlin wrote:
> I think I found the problem - it was solved by manually calling
> rte_pktmbuf_free for each packet.
> It seems that rte_pktmbuf_free is not automatically called from
> within rte_eth_tx_burst if packets are sent to pcap device.

By looking at the eth_pcap_tx(pkts, nb_pkts) function, I think it may not work
properly. I think it should return nb_pkts instead of num_tx. Indeed, if
pcap_sendpacket() fails -- I don't know in which case it can occur -- the
function will return a number lower than nb_pkts, causing a caller like
l2fwd_send_burst() to free some mbufs. But all mbufs are already freed
by eth_pcap_tx().

I don't know if it's related to your problem but it may help.

Regards,
Olivier