From: Nick Kossifidis <mickflemm@gmail.com>
To: Hans Maes <Hans@bitnet.be>
Cc: Andrey Yurovsky <andrey@cozybit.com>, linux-wireless@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: current status of 802.11s mesh in ath5k ?
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 12:32:14 +0300	[thread overview]

2009/6/20 Hans Maes <Hans@bitnet.be>:
> Andrey Yurovsky wrote:
>>
>>  However ath5k will not beacon until you issue a scan due
>> to a bug.  You can bring up an ath5k node like this:
>>
>> # iw phy phy0 interface add mesh type mp mesh_id mymesh
>> # ifconfig mesh up
>> # iwlist mesh scan
>>

> So, once the first scan triggers the beaconing, everything should keep
> working ok ?
> Or should I throw together a small script that triggers a scan once every
> 10minutes until this bug is fixed ?
> (In my case the mesh nodes should stay online 24/7 without user interaction)
>>
>> Things seem to work well aside from the scan issue, however I haven't
>> fully verified multi-hop yet.
>
> I have a semi production setup with about 10 mesh nodes, in a building where
> multihop is required due to the extensive use of metal plating and therefore
> 'poor' wireless performance. In a typical scenario I need about 4 to 5 hops
> to reach the nodes at the other end of the building.
>
> The nodes only have a single antenna connected, so I need to change some
> code to disable antenna switching, but I'm not a C expert/module developer
> at all so that might take a while to figure out...

Antenna controls are there, we just don't have a user interface yet
(configfs/debugfs)
Check out  ath5k_hw_set_antenna_mode inside phy.c, available modes are
on enum ath5k_ant_mode inside ath5k.h and we call it on ath5k_config
inside base.c ;-)

--
GPG ID: 0xD21DB2DB
As you read this post global entropy rises. Have Fun ;-)