From: Devin Heitmueller <devin.heitmueller@gmail.com>
To: Robin van Kleeff <robinvankleeff@gmail.com>
Cc: linux-media@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Digital compact cameras that can be used as video devices?
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 15:31:31 -0400	[thread overview]

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 3:22 PM, Robin van Kleeff
<robinvankleeff@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey everybody,
>
> I have been searching for information on using compact photo cameras
> as video devices (and also for compatibility with gphoto through the
> gphoto websites/mailing list).
>
> I was wondering if any of you knows which cameras (brand, type) I
> should focus on?  I'm interested in digital compact camera that can be
> used to take decent quality pictures, and also function as for
> instance a web cam for applications such as Ekiga.  I am unable to
> find any lists of cameras that are supported.
>
> By the way, I am much more an end-user then a developer, so forgive me
> if I ask dumb questions, or if I ask questions that are outside of the
> scope of this mailing list.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Robin

Hello Robin,

Do you know of any such devices that claim to work like that even
under Windows?  Generally, all the digital cameras I see that can
capture video can't do it while the device is plugged in to the PC.
If you can provide some specific examples of models that do this under
Windows, we can possibly look at what would be required to make them
work under Linux.

Cheers,

Devin

--