Hey Trond, Here here is the first stab at having NFS use the CacheFS that is currently in the -mm tree. As you know CacheFS is a caching filesystem that allows network filesystems, such as AFS and now NFS, to cache data pages on the local disk. This is a big win (especially with read-only filesystems) since it drastically cuts down on the amount of data read across the network. Plus the cached data survives umounts and reboots (since CacheFS journals the data). So when a client comes back up or the filesystem is remounted, all that is needed is a few small getattrs to insure the data is still valid. If it is, NFS reads are turned into local disk reads.... A Huge gain in performance!!!! I have structured that patch so CacheFS is a mount option. I figured this was the safest way to introduce CacheFS and not completely break NFS.... And if for some reason, NFS is not able to get an initial Cachefs cookie (i.e. it can't use CacheFS) , NFS will dynamically turn off the mount option, disabling the use of the cache.. But as usual there are some issues.... 1) NFS aliasing. The fact that: mount hades:/hades /a mount hades:/hades/xxx /b creates separate super blocks causes problems for CacheFS. With the current -mm code, these type of mount actual causes CacheFS to crash (although I do have a proposed patch that David is looking at). 2) NFS4 is not supported. I simply have not had time to get this working. But I will!! 3) There is no user level support. I realize this is extremely cheesy but I noticed that the NFS posix mount option (in the 2.6 kernel) was no longer being used, so I high jacked it. Which means to make NFS to used CacheFS you need to use the posix option: mount -o posix server:/export/home /mnt/server/home Comments? SteveD. PS. The new CacheFS mailing that have been set up is at http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/linux-cachefs I encourage you and anybody else interested in this type of technology to subscribe....