From: "Harald Dunkel" <harald.dunkel@t-online.de>
To: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: USB Problem (was: 2.6.9-rc4: Aiee on amd64)
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 08:57:10 +0200	[thread overview]

Harald Dunkel wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I installed 2.6.9-rc4 this morning, but it died at boot time
> (a lot of hex output and something about "Aiee" :-). I tried
> to redirect syslog to another host, but the error message did
> not show up in the foreign log files.
>
> Any idea how to catch this message? The problem seems to be
> reproducable, and I would be glad to help.

I disabled ehci_hcd.ko in the boot procedure and loaded
it manually when syslog was running. This was written into
kern.log:

:
ACPI: PCI interrupt 0000:00:02.2[C] -> GSI 11 (level, low) -> IRQ 11
ehci_hcd 0000:00:02.2: nVidia Corporation nForce3 USB 2.0
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:02.2 to 64
ehci_hcd 0000:00:02.2: irq 11, pci mem ffffff0000b98000
ehci_hcd 0000:00:02.2: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
PCI: cache line size of 64 is not supported by device 0000:00:02.2
ehci_hcd 0000:00:02.2: USB 2.0 enabled, EHCI 1.00, driver 2004-May-10
hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found
hub 1-0:1.0: 6 ports detected
usb 1-3: new high speed USB device using address 2
ub: sizeof ub_scsi_cmd 88 ub_dev 1112
uba: device 2 capacity nsec 50 bsize 512
uba: made changed
uba: device 2 capacity nsec 50 bsize 512
uba: device 2 capacity nsec 50 bsize 512
  /dev/ub/a:end_request: I/O error, dev uba, sector 0
Buffer I/O error on device uba, logical block 0
end_request: I/O error, dev uba, sector 2
Buffer I/O error on device uba, logical block 1
end_request: I/O error, dev uba, sector 4
Buffer I/O error on device uba, logical block 2
end_request: I/O error, dev uba, sector 6
Buffer I/O error on device uba, logical block 3
end_request: I/O error, dev uba, sector 6
Buffer I/O error on device uba, logical block 3
end_request: I/O error, dev uba, sector 4
Buffer I/O error on device uba, logical block 2
end_request: I/O error, dev uba, sector 2
Buffer I/O error on device uba, logical block 1
end_request: I/O error, dev uba, sector 0
Buffer I/O error on device uba, logical block 0
  unable to read partition table
  /dev/ub/a:end_request: I/O error, dev uba, sector 2
Buffer I/O error on device uba, logical block 1
end_request: I/O error, dev uba, sector 4
Buffer I/O error on device uba, logical block 2
end_request: I/O error, dev uba, sector 6
Buffer I/O error on device uba, logical block 3
end_request: I/O error, dev uba, sector 0
Buffer I/O error on device uba, logical block 0
  unable to read partition table
usbcore: registered new driver ub
usb 1-4: new high speed USB device using address 3

If I keep ehci_hcd in the boot procedure, then the
kernel dies immediately after printing these messages.
In my test environment there was no crash, though.

Regards

Harri