Attached is the 'git-shortlog' script I whipped up, to mimic the shortlog script that was used back in the BitKeeper days. shortlog reads a changelog in the 'git-whatchanged' format, such as git-whatchanged | git-shortlog or git-shortlog changes.txt and outputs the changes sorted by author: author1: cset 1-line desc cset 1-line desc ... author2: cset 1-line desc ... ... Since git distinguishes 'author' from 'committer', I ran git-whatchanged | git-shortlog > changes.txt to look at the kernel authors throughout the entire history [of which is in git]. It's fun to browse, since this is the first time we've been able to get a better picture who is actually writing the patches, versus committing them. See changes.txt.bz2, attached. Jeff