From: Yishai Hadas <yishaih-LDSdmyG8hGV8YrgS2mwiifqBs+8SCbDb@public.gmane.org>
To: Knut Omang <knut.omang-QHcLZuEGTsvQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>
Cc: Leon Romanovsky <leon-DgEjT+Ai2ygdnm+yROfE0A@public.gmane.org>,
	Jason Gunthorpe
	<jgunthorpe-ePGOBjL8dl3ta4EC/59zMFaTQe2KTcn/@public.gmane.org>,
	Doug Ledford <dledford-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>,
	linux-rdma <linux-rdma-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA@public.gmane.org>,
	Yishai Hadas <yishaih-VPRAkNaXOzVWk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org>,
	Matan Barak <matanb-VPRAkNaXOzVWk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org>,
	Majd Dibbiny <majd-VPRAkNaXOzVWk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org>,
	"talal-VPRAkNaXOzVWk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org"
	<talal-VPRAkNaXOzVWk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org>,
	"liranl-VPRAkNaXOzVWk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org"
	<liranl-VPRAkNaXOzVWk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org>,
	"Tzahi Oved (tzahio-VPRAkNaXOzVWk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org)"
	<tzahio-VPRAkNaXOzVWk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: Upcoming libibverbs release
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2016 21:59:01 +0300	[thread overview]

On 6/29/2016 8:07 PM, Knut Omang wrote:
> On Wed, 2016-06-29 at 08:15 +0300, Leon Romanovsky wrote:

>>> Well, I am, I don't know what you are talking about.

>>> Who cares?
>>>
>>> Mellanox has been pushing dpdk centric HW features that no other
>>> vendor has an interest in. So it is understandable there is not much
>>> activity.
>>
>> I see it differently, I don't see any activity from other vendors,
>> because there are no vendors who interest in developing new features in
>> libibverbs.
>
> A fundamental property of good APIs is that they provide a certain
> degree of stability and backward/forward compatibility. This means (in
> my view) that for an API which have reached a certain maturity and user
> base, "default" action should be not to change, and that changes must
> have compelling arguments.

The legacy API wasn't changed, no plan to break/change it.

That said, good additions and necessary
> refactoring is fine, as long as enough care is taken to maintain
> backward compatibility or a well understood, viable upgrade path for
> the existing user base.

There was a need to extend the output data that comes out from a vendor
CQE (e.g. get timestamping). Current API wasn't written in an extended
mode, that was the motivation to look for a new/better API.

After a long discussion in the list we came with a new API which is
extendable, support legacy functionality, generic and easy to understand
and use.

In addition, the API was introduced in some forums (OFA last summit,
verbs working group) and was found to be make sense that can fit
multi-vendors.

>> Currently all vendors can be categorized into three groups:
>> * Interested in legacy code - a couple of vendors
>> * Struggling from identity problem (verbs/non-verbs architecture) and
>>   has proprietary library - one vendor
>> * Interested in developing new features in libibverbs - one vendor
>
> I would think that we would want to eventually implement new libibverbs
> features that makes sense from an application point of view, with
> priority on those that we believe are most important to our users.
>
> My point is just that making changes to libibverbs should be motivated
> by use cases that cannot be covered by the existing API,

See motivation for the new API above in my note.

> Through the course of my work with the Infiniband stack so far, I have
> seen a few cases of changes that were not of that sort, so I appreciate
> that the community strives to make sure that the "burden of proof" is
> on the side of those who want changes.

We already supplied "burden of proof" with CX4 driver, vendor code in
libmlx5 was published and merged, see report in the list.