From: Fabrice Bellard <fabrice@bellard.org>
To: qemu-devel@nongnu.org
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] USB support
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 15:11:49 +0100	[thread overview]

Lonnie Mendez wrote:
> On Saturday 05 November 2005 11:10 am, Fabrice Bellard wrote:
>
>>1) The host OS must not use the USB device. It means in particular that
>>no host OS driver must be present for that device. The solution I am
>>using is to rename the host kernel module "usb-storage.o" to
>>"usb-storage.o.disabled" so that it is not loaded by Linux. Then QEMU
>>can exclusively access to the corresponding host storage USB device. The
>>same apply to every other type of USB devices.
>

>    usb devfs has a disconnect ioctl (USBDEVFS_DISCONNECT) which
> allows you to disconnect a single device from a driver.
>
>    A suggestion is to hook the interface up to qemu monitor.  Then you would
> be able to list usb devices and then claim only the ones you want to use.

Good idea. I am adding something like that:

In the monitor:

'info usbhost' lists the available host USB devices

'usbhost_add 3.4' or 'usbhost_add 1234:5678' adds the USB host device on
bus 3 at address 4 or the first one matching the vendor ID 0x1234 and
product ID 0x5678.

The QEMU option '-usbhost x' can be used to do the same as usbhost_add.

Fabrice.