From: Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
To: Rik van Riel <riel@redhat.com>
Cc: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>, Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>,
	Linux-VServer ML <vserver@list.linux-vserver.org>
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] second stable release of Linux-VServer
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 18:40:24 -0500	[thread overview]

Rik van Riel wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
>

>>Well, as the OpenVZ folks announced their release on LKML
>>I just decided to do similar for the Linux-VServer release,
>>so please let me know if that is not considered appropriate.
>

> Since there is a legitimate (and very popular) use case for
> virtuozzo / vserver functionality, I think it is a good
> thing to get all the code out in the open.
>
> I really hope we will get something like BSD jail functionality
> in the Linux kernel.  It makes perfect sense for hosting
> environments.

Like many needs there are lots of solutions, none of which are perfect,
or at least without problems the competition says are important ;-) This
is one more thing to study, but it seems as though there is not an
overview of the various solutions for easy comparison.

This list is probably incomplete:
  linuxjail - BSD jail is the goal
  VMware - I use this for BSD machines
  xen - the last I looked ran Linux, not Windows or BSD unpatched
  UML - run Linux nicely
  VServer - news to me

--
    -bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)