From: Marat Khalili <mkh@rqc.ru>
To: linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Do different btrfs volumes compete for CPU?
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2017 10:05:20 +0300	[thread overview]

Approximately 16 hours ago I've run a script that deleted >~100
snapshots and started quota rescan on a large USB-connected btrfs volume
(5.4 of 22 TB occupied now). Quota rescan only completed just now, with
100% load from [btrfs-transacti] throughout this period, which is
probably ~ok depending on your view on things.

What worries me is innocent process using _another_, SATA-connected
btrfs volume that hung right after I started my script and took >30
minutes to be sigkilled. There's nothing interesting in the kernel log,
and attempts to attach strace to the process output nothing, but I of
course suspect that it freezed on disk operation.

I wonder:
1) Can there be a contention for CPU or some mutexes between kernel
btrfs threads belonging to different volumes?
2) If yes, can anything be done about it other than mounting volumes
from (different) VMs?

--

With Best Regards,
Marat Khalili