* Re: [dpdk-users] rte_zmalloc() returning non-zeroed memory on FreeBSD
@ 2016-11-03 20:04 Lewis Donzis
From: Lewis Donzis @ 2016-11-03 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

I’m curious about how/whether this got resolved.  The 16.07.1 code doesn’t appear to have this fixed.

Is it still forthcoming?

Thanks,
lew

* Re: [dpdk-users] rte_zmalloc() returning non-zeroed memory on FreeBSD
@ 2016-11-04 16:38 ` Sergio Gonzalez Monroy
From: Sergio Gonzalez Monroy @ 2016-11-04 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lewis Donzis, dev

On 03/11/2016 20:04, Lewis Donzis wrote:
> I’m curious about how/whether this got resolved.  The 16.07.1 code doesn’t appear to have this fixed.
>
> Is it still forthcoming?
>
> Thanks,
> lew

It should have been fixed in 16.07.1.
http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk-stable/commit/?id=82f931805506efbb8b5046e9045bec8f04bbabf6

Do you have an easy test to reproduce? can you reproduce it with any of
the app/examples?

Sergio

* Re: [dpdk-users] rte_zmalloc() returning non-zeroed memory on FreeBSD
@ 2016-11-04 16:43   ` Lewis Donzis
From: Lewis Donzis @ 2016-11-04 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sergio Gonzalez Monroy; +Cc: dev

> On Nov 4, 2016, at 11:38 AM, Sergio Gonzalez Monroy <sergio.gonzalez.monroy@intel.com> wrote:
>
> On 03/11/2016 20:04, Lewis Donzis wrote:
>> I’m curious about how/whether this got resolved.  The 16.07.1 code doesn’t appear to have this fixed.
>>
>> Is it still forthcoming?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> lew
>
> It should have been fixed in 16.07.1.
> http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk-stable/commit/?id=82f931805506efbb8b5046e9045bec8f04bbabf6
>
> Do you have an easy test to reproduce? can you reproduce it with any of the app/examples?

Oh, sorry, I was looking at the rte_zmalloc() code, assuming it would be changed there, but it looks like the commit was to change contigmem instead, which seems perfectly logical and reasonable.

It’s entirely possible that the folks here who tested 16.07.1 forgot to replace the contigmem driver, so perhaps that is the problem.

We’ll check it out and report back.

Thanks!
lew

* Re: [dpdk-users] rte_zmalloc() returning non-zeroed memory on FreeBSD
@ 2016-11-04 20:10   ` Lewis Donzis
From: Lewis Donzis @ 2016-11-04 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sergio Gonzalez Monroy; +Cc: dev

> On Nov 4, 2016, at 11:38 AM, Sergio Gonzalez Monroy <sergio.gonzalez.monroy@intel.com> wrote:
> It should have been fixed in 16.07.1.
> http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk-stable/commit/?id=82f931805506efbb8b5046e9045bec8f04bbabf6

Hi, Sergio.

We confirmed that it works perfectly with 16.07.1 with the new contigmem driver.

Thanks!
lew

* Re: [dpdk-users] rte_zmalloc() returning non-zeroed memory on FreeBSD
@ 2016-08-16 22:54       ` Harris, James R
From: Harris, James R @ 2016-08-16 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gonzalez Monroy, Sergio, Thomas Monjalon, users, dev, Richardson, Bruce
  Cc: Verkamp, Daniel

<snip>

> > The problem is that the FreeBSD contigmem driver does not re-zero the
> huge
> > pages each time they are mmap'd - they are only zeroed when contigmem
> > initially loads.  I will push a patch for this shortly.
>
> So that is the case where we run the app more than once, right?
> I missed that, I only ran it once.

Correct - it works OK the first time.  The problem only occurs if you run the app
more than once (unless you unload and reload contigmem before running the
app a second time).

-Jim

* Re: [dpdk-users] rte_zmalloc() returning non-zeroed memory on FreeBSD
@ 2016-08-16  7:36     ` Sergio Gonzalez Monroy
From: Sergio Gonzalez Monroy @ 2016-08-16  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harris, James R, Thomas Monjalon, users, dev, Richardson, Bruce
  Cc: Verkamp, Daniel