* [Bluez-users] Is this list dead?
@ 2007-02-07 17:00 Xamindar
From: Xamindar @ 2007-02-07 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bluez-users

Is this list dead? I just joined yesterday and the only two emails I
have gotten are spam messages. Someone please respond if this list is
still being used. I have a problem with DUN on bluetooth and I am hoping
someone here can help me.

Thank you.

* Re: [Bluez-users] Is this list dead?
@ 2007-02-07 17:26 ` John H.
From: John H. @ 2007-02-07 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ users

They really should implement some spam controls.

I have got zero answers on this list.  I have had to go to irc #bluez.
 You might be able to get some help there.

@ 2007-02-07 17:27 ` robert
From: robert @ 2007-02-07 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xamindar; +Cc: bluez-users

Quoting Xamindar <junkxamindar@gmail.com>:

> Is this list dead? I just joined yesterday and the only two emails I
> have gotten are spam messages. Someone please respond if this list is
> still being used. I have a problem with DUN on bluetooth and I am hoping
> someone here can help me.

Not dead, but certainly low-traffic.

best
Robert Dodier

* Re: [Bluez-users] Is this list dead?
@ 2007-02-07 18:35   ` Marco Pracucci
From: Marco Pracucci @ 2007-02-07 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ users

> Not dead, but certainly low-traffic.
Where is Marcel?
It's strage that it does not answer.

Marco

* Re: [Bluez-users] Is this list dead?  Here is my problem...
@ 2007-02-07 19:16     ` Xamindar
From: Xamindar @ 2007-02-07 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ users

Thanks for the replies.  I guess I'll go ahead and ask my question here
and then go try the irc channel as well.  On Freenode right?

I am trying to get dail up working between my phone and gentoo linux via
bluetooth.  I have so far been unsuccessful.
I can scan and see my phone but my phone is not able at this time to see
my laptop on a scan.

[code]
white-rabbit xamindar # hciconfig
hci0:   Type: USB
        BD Address: 00:16:CF:D7:AE:62 ACL MTU: 1017:8 SCO MTU: 64:0
        UP RUNNING PSCAN
        RX bytes:405 acl:0 sco:0 events:18 errors:0
        TX bytes:320 acl:0 sco:0 commands:18 errors:0

white-rabbit xamindar # hcitool scan
Scanning ...
        00:17:5C:00:68:5F       Sidekick
        00:12:56:5A:92:59       Jared`s LG CU500
white-rabbit xamindar #
[/code]

I have rfcomm.conf set up to bind to my phone's MAC on channel 8.  I
found out that channel 8 is the "QC Dial-up Networking" service on my
phone by running "sdptool browse 00:12:56:5a:92:59".

[code]
white-rabbit xamindar # cat /etc/bluetooth/rfcomm.conf
rfcomm0 {
        bind yes;
        device 00:12:56:5a:92:59;
        channel 8;
        comment "Jared`s LG CU500";
}
white-rabbit xamindar # rfcomm
rfcomm0: 00:12:56:5A:92:59 channel 8 clean
[/code]

At this point everything looks good but for some reason I am unable to
get any actual communication to work.  I get the following error when
testing the rfcomm connection:

white-rabbit xamindar # rfcomm connect 0
Can't create RFCOMM TTY: Address already in use

I seem to not be able to send files to my phone either so it seems that
bluetooth on my laptop is completely broken.  I have set up this same
thing on a friend's ubuntu installation and got it working in about 15
minutes.  I don't get it.

Thanks for any help and pointers on this guys.

* Re: [Bluez-users] Is this list dead? Here is my problem...
@ 2007-02-07 19:27       ` John H.
From: John H. @ 2007-02-07 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ users

First off, are you sure that's the DUN channel?

@ 2007-02-07 19:35         ` Xamindar
From: Xamindar @ 2007-02-07 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ users

John H. wrote:
> First off, are you sure that's the DUN channel?

Well, it looks like it according to the following I think.  But I hope I
am wrong ;)

[code]white-rabbit xamindar # sdptool browse 00:12:56:5A:92:59
Browsing 00:12:56:5A:92:59 ...
Service Name: OBEX Object Push
Service RecHandle: 0x10000
Service Class ID List:
  "OBEX Object Push" (0x1105)
Protocol Descriptor List:
  "L2CAP" (0x0100)
  "RFCOMM" (0x0003)
    Channel: 6
  "OBEX" (0x0008)
Language Base Attr List:
  code_ISO639: 0x656e
  encoding:    0x6a
  base_offset: 0x100
Profile Descriptor List:
  "OBEX Object Push" (0x1105)
    Version: 0x0100

Service Name: OBEX File Transfer
Service RecHandle: 0x10001
Service Class ID List:
  "OBEX File Transfer" (0x1106)
Protocol Descriptor List:
  "L2CAP" (0x0100)
  "RFCOMM" (0x0003)
    Channel: 7
  "OBEX" (0x0008)
Language Base Attr List:
  code_ISO639: 0x656e
  encoding:    0x6a
  base_offset: 0x100
Profile Descriptor List:
  "OBEX File Transfer" (0x1106)
    Version: 0x0100

Service Name: LG Sync SPP
Service RecHandle: 0x10002
Service Class ID List:
  "Serial Port" (0x1101)
Protocol Descriptor List:
  "L2CAP" (0x0100)
  "RFCOMM" (0x0003)
    Channel: 16
Language Base Attr List:
  code_ISO639: 0x656e
  encoding:    0x6a
  base_offset: 0x100
Profile Descriptor List:
  "Serial Port" (0x1101)
    Version: 0x0100

Service Name: AV Audio Source
Service RecHandle: 0x10003
Service Class ID List:
  "Audio Source" (0x110a)
Protocol Descriptor List:
  "L2CAP" (0x0100)
    PSM: 25
  "AVDTP" (0x0019)
    uint16: 0x100
Language Base Attr List:
  code_ISO639: 0x656e
  encoding:    0x6a
  base_offset: 0x100
Profile Descriptor List:
  "Advanced Audio" (0x110d)
    Version: 0x0100

Service Name: AV Remote Control Target
Service RecHandle: 0x10004
Service Class ID List:
  "AV Remote Target" (0x110c)
Protocol Descriptor List:
  "L2CAP" (0x0100)
    PSM: 23
  "AVCTP" (0x0017)
    uint16: 0x100
Language Base Attr List:
  code_ISO639: 0x656e
  encoding:    0x6a
  base_offset: 0x100
Profile Descriptor List:
  "AV Remote" (0x110e)
    Version: 0x0100

Service Name: Audio Gateway
Service RecHandle: 0x10005
Service Class ID List:
  "Headset Audio Gateway" (0x1112)
  "Generic Audio" (0x1203)
Protocol Descriptor List:
  "L2CAP" (0x0100)
  "RFCOMM" (0x0003)
    Channel: 3
Language Base Attr List:
  code_ISO639: 0x656e
  encoding:    0x6a
  base_offset: 0x100
Profile Descriptor List:
  "Headset" (0x1108)
    Version: 0x0100

Service Name: Audio Gateway
Service RecHandle: 0x10006
Service Class ID List:
  "Handfree Audio Gateway" (0x111f)
  "Generic Audio" (0x1203)
Protocol Descriptor List:
  "L2CAP" (0x0100)
  "RFCOMM" (0x0003)
    Channel: 4
Language Base Attr List:
  code_ISO639: 0x656e
  encoding:    0x6a
  base_offset: 0x100
Profile Descriptor List:
  "Handsfree" (0x111e)
    Version: 0x0101

Service Name: QC Dial-up Networking
Service RecHandle: 0x10007
Service Class ID List:
  "Dialup Networking" (0x1103)
Protocol Descriptor List:
  "L2CAP" (0x0100)
  "RFCOMM" (0x0003)
    Channel: 8
Language Base Attr List:
  code_ISO639: 0x656e
  encoding:    0x6a
  base_offset: 0x100
Profile Descriptor List:
  "Dialup Networking" (0x1103)
    Version: 0x0100

white-rabbit xamindar #
[/code]

@ 2007-02-07 19:36         ` Xamindar
From: Xamindar @ 2007-02-07 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ users

John H. wrote:
> First off, are you sure that's the DUN channel?
Oh yeah, and I am pretty sure I used channel 8 on the ubuntu laptop that
I was able to get this working on.

* Re: [Bluez-users] Is this list dead? Here is my problem...
@ 2007-02-07 20:06           ` John H.
From: John H. @ 2007-02-07 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ users

Yes, it looks as though you do.  Can you do a regular rfcomm connect?
What if you use rfcomm1?

@ 2007-02-07 21:42             ` Xamindar
                                 ` (2 more replies)
From: Xamindar @ 2007-02-07 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ users

John H. wrote:
> Yes, it looks as though you do.  Can you do a regular rfcomm connect?
> What if you use rfcomm1?

What is a regular rfcomm connect?  On the console it just gives me errors.

white-rabbit xamindar # rfcomm
rfcomm1: 00:12:56:5A:92:59 channel 8 clean
white-rabbit xamindar # rfcomm connect 1
Can't create RFCOMM TTY: Address already in use
white-rabbit xamindar #

One interesting thing is if I change the rfcomm to my phone to channel 3
then when I try a connect my phone will beep like it is receiving a file
but nothing else happens.  I will also still get the same "Address
already in use" as I do with channel 8.

* Re: [Bluez-users] Is this list dead? Here is my problem...
@ 2007-02-08  3:50               ` John H.
From: John H. @ 2007-02-08  3:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ users

Something like this

rfcomm connect 0 00:1A:77:ED:D1:97 4

That makes rfcomm0 on channel 4.

@ 2007-02-08  4:10                 ` Mahesh T. Pai
From: Mahesh T. Pai @ 2007-02-08  4:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bluez-users

"John H." <mistamaila@gmail.com> writes:

> Something like this
>

> rfcomm connect 0 00:1A:77:ED:D1:97 4
>
> That makes rfcomm0 on channel 4.

Is there some means of giving remote mac ids an alias? Something like
editing some configuration file in the remote machine / device telling
it to identify itself as `rmachine' and then saying

rfcomm connect rmachine [options]' on the local machine?

--
 Mahesh T. Pai <<>> http://paivakil.blogspot.com/
TRUTH,  n.   An   ingenious  compound  of  desirability  and

* Re: [Bluez-users] Is this list dead? Here is my problem...
@ 2007-02-08  4:18                 ` Xamindar
From: Xamindar @ 2007-02-08  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ users

John H. wrote:
> Something like this
>

> rfcomm connect 0 00:1A:77:ED:D1:97 4
>
> That makes rfcomm0 on channel 4.

# rfcomm connect 00:12:56:5A:92:59 8
Can't connect RFCOMM socket: Host is down

Hmm, no luck :(

* Re: [Bluez-users] Is this list dead? Here is my problem...
@ 2007-02-08  5:15                   ` John H.
From: John H. @ 2007-02-08  5:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ users

Yes, I have that error when bluetooth is not on on phone.  Are you sure it is?

Does konqueror bluetooth:/// let you access the phone?

@ 2007-02-08  6:13                     ` Xamindar
From: Xamindar @ 2007-02-08  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ users

Yes it is on the phone, I use it all the time in Windows.  My phone will
revert it's dial-up over to the serial port when I connect the phone to
the computer with the cable but I always check that and switch the
dial-up back to bluetooth.

@ 2007-02-08  6:16                       ` John H.
From: John H. @ 2007-02-08  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ users

Try unplugging the usb cable and turning off phone then back on... it
might also be worth your while to remove, in bluetooth settings, a
reference on your phone to your computer.

Then, just to be safe, put it in discovery mode and if there's a
setting for "allow other computers to connect," do that.

But really, before all of this, please let us know if konqueror
bluetooth:/// can access your phone.

@ 2007-02-08  8:53                         ` Xamindar
From: Xamindar @ 2007-02-08  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ users

John H. wrote:
> Try unplugging the usb cable and turning off phone then back on... it
> might also be worth your while to remove, in bluetooth settings, a
> reference on your phone to your computer.
>
> Then, just to be safe, put it in discovery mode and if there's a
> setting for "allow other computers to connect," do that.
>
> But really, before all of this, please let us know if konqueror
> bluetooth:/// can access your phone.

Only kde programs I use are k3b and amarok.  I really hope I don't have
to go through the trouble of installing kde to get bluetooth working.  I
may have to do that though, it seems kde has far superior bluetooth
support.  I'll consider it.

* Re: [Bluez-users] Is this list dead? Here is my problem...
@ 2007-02-08 19:09                           ` John H.
From: John H. @ 2007-02-08 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ users

It does, but that's not the point.  I want to see if bluetooth is
working at all between your pc and the phone.

@ 2007-02-08 20:03               ` Anssi Saari
From: Anssi Saari @ 2007-02-08 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bluez-users

On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 01:42:00PM -0800, Xamindar wrote:
> John H. wrote:
> > Yes, it looks as though you do.  Can you do a regular rfcomm connect?
> > What if you use rfcomm1?
> >
> What is a regular rfcomm connect?  On the console it just gives me errors.

That would be rfcomm connect hci0 00:12:56:5A:92:59 8

Maybe you need to remove that weird stuff from rfcomm.conf first too. And what
about pairing, you haven't said anything about it?

* Re: [Bluez-users] Is this list dead? Here is my problem...
@ 2007-02-09 19:59                 ` Xamindar
From: Xamindar @ 2007-02-09 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ users

I run that command and then I get a prompt both on my phone and with the
gnome bluetooth applet to pair.  I type the same code in on my phone and
on my gnome bluetooth applet and the applet reports "created bond to
Jared's phone".  Once that happens I get the error in the console:

@ 2007-02-10  0:16               ` Michael Mauch
From: Michael Mauch @ 2007-02-10  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bluez-users

Xamindar wrote:

> John H. wrote:
> > Yes, it looks as though you do.  Can you do a regular rfcomm connect?
> > What if you use rfcomm1?
> >
> What is a regular rfcomm connect?  On the console it just gives me errors.
>
> white-rabbit xamindar # rfcomm
> rfcomm1: 00:12:56:5A:92:59 channel 8 clean
> white-rabbit xamindar # rfcomm connect 1
> Can't create RFCOMM TTY: Address already in use
> white-rabbit xamindar #

You don't want to use "rfcomm connect". You already bound channel 8 on
your phone to /dev/rfcomm1 (probably in rfcomm.conf). That means that
rfcommd is waiting for a program that uses /dev/rfcomm1 like a serial
device.

Just use /dev/rfcomm1 with minicom and try sending some "AT" commands to
your phone, like "ATI", "ATI1" and so on.

In case you're not familiar with minicom: start "minicom -s rfcomm1" and
change the "Serial port setup" -> "Serial Device" to /dev/rfcomm1.
"Save setup as rfcomm1" and "exit from Minicom".

Now start "minicom rfcomm1". If your phone is too slow answering
bluetooth connection and minicom says "cannot open /dev/rfcomm1", just
try it again and again a few times.

If that works, use wvdial, kppp, gkdial or networkmanager to connect
using /dev/rfcomm1 (instead of /dev/modem, /dev/ttyS0).

Regards...
		Michael

* Re: [Bluez-users] Is this list dead? Here is my problem...
@ 2007-02-10 23:02                 ` Xamindar
From: Xamindar @ 2007-02-10 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ users

Michael Mauch wrote:
> Xamindar wrote:
>

>> John H. wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, it looks as though you do.  Can you do a regular rfcomm connect?
>>> What if you use rfcomm1?
>>>

>> What is a regular rfcomm connect?  On the console it just gives me errors.
>>
>> white-rabbit xamindar # rfcomm
>> rfcomm1: 00:12:56:5A:92:59 channel 8 clean
>> white-rabbit xamindar # rfcomm connect 1
>> Can't create RFCOMM TTY: Address already in use
>> white-rabbit xamindar #
>>

> You don't want to use "rfcomm connect". You already bound channel 8 on
> your phone to /dev/rfcomm1 (probably in rfcomm.conf). That means that
> rfcommd is waiting for a program that uses /dev/rfcomm1 like a serial
> device.
>
> Just use /dev/rfcomm1 with minicom and try sending some "AT" commands to
> your phone, like "ATI", "ATI1" and so on.
>
> In case you're not familiar with minicom: start "minicom -s rfcomm1" and
> change the "Serial port setup" -> "Serial Device" to /dev/rfcomm1.
> "Save setup as rfcomm1" and "exit from Minicom".
>
> Now start "minicom rfcomm1". If your phone is too slow answering
> bluetooth connection and minicom says "cannot open /dev/rfcomm1", just
> try it again and again a few times.
>
> If that works, use wvdial, kppp, gkdial or networkmanager to connect
> using /dev/rfcomm1 (instead of /dev/modem, /dev/ttyS0).
>
> Regards...
> 		Michael

Hey thanks!  That has helped me out a lot.  It seems it works.  I guess
maybe "Gnome ppp" is too stupid to be able to use rfcomm.  Here is the
results of minicom:

Welcome to minicom 2.2

Compiled on Feb  9 2007, 18:15:58.
Port /dev/rfcomm0

                 Press CTRL-A Z for help on special keys

AT S7=45 S0=0 L1 V1 X4 &c1 E1 Q0
OK
ATI
Manufacturer: LG ELECTRONICS
Model: 226
Revision: CU500-MSM32701001-V10c-Aug-03-2006-CW-US  1  [Aug 03 2006
13:00:00]
IMEI: 010851007552410
+GCAP: +CGSM,+DS,+ES

OK

RING

RING

RING

RING

I think the "RING" happens when someone calls my phone, interesting.
Gnome ppp still refuses to use the device though.  I will install kppp
and try that as it is the one that worked on my friends computer.  Gnome
ppp reports the following when trying to connect or dial:

--> Ignoring malformed input line: ";Do NOT edit this file by hand!"
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.56
--> Cannot open /dev/rfcomm0: Device or resource busy

@ 2007-02-10 23:32                 ` Xamindar
From: Xamindar @ 2007-02-10 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BlueZ users

I finally have it working!  Thanks so much for everyone's help on here.
In the last couple of days I have updated bluez-libs from version 2.25
to 3.7 and then to 3.9 today and finally have a bluetooth applet for
gnome that allows me to configure buetooth options (very few but enough)
and pair from the gui.  Thanks to Michael as well for the minicom stuff
which allowed me to troubleshoot a lot better and figure out that gnome
ppp is worthless.  I installed kppp and configured it for rfcomm0 and it
connects and gets me an internet connection through my phone with no
trouble at all.

woohoo!