Kevin Hilman wrote: > On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 18:01 +0100, Dirk Behme wrote: > >>Dirk Behme wrote: >> >>>Kevin Hilman wrote: >>> >>> >>>>Here is a patch which leaves out the raw_spinlock conversions. It goes >>>>on the OMAP git tree on top of -rt5 (ignoring conflicts.) I've left out >>>>all the raw_spinlock conversions. This has been tested on an >>>>OMAP1623/H2 platform. >>> >>>Update of Kevins update. Tested on OSK. >>> >>>Changes: >>> >>>- Remove kernel/printk.c "+ zap_rt_locks();". It's already in -rt5. >>> >>>- Re-add HRTIMER conversion to ads7846.c >>> >>>With this patch I get Oops below after playing mp3 via NFS. Add >>>raw_spinlock_t to sound/arm/omap/omap-alsa-dma.c like in my original >>>patch doesn't seem to help. >> >>Re-adding raw_spinlock_t to omap-alsa.h helps against this Oops. > > > My guess the oops you sent is that you saw this crash when doing a > Ctrl-C or otherwise stopping the playback, correct? Nearly ;) Even without Ctrl-C this Oops happened. Simply waiting for mp3 to finish and coming back to prompt triggered it. Your patch fixes this. > This oops is triggered by the same thread trying to take the same > spinlock (now an rt_mutex under PREEMPT_RT.) The following patch > fixes the nested spinlocks, and removes the raw_spinlock. It applies > on top of your latest patch. Update to patch-2.6.20-rt5-omap3 in attachment. Changes: - Add Kevins fix for nested omap-alsa.c spinlocks and remove raw_spinlock workaround. Thanks! > On my OSK, I do notice however that using -rt (with and without this > fix) mp3 playback has some audible noise under PREEMPT_RT. Do you hear > this too? > Another data point... I only hear the noise when using mpg123 to play > an .mp3 file. If I use aplay to play a .wav file, I'm not hearing any > noise. I can even ping flood the target and audio plays without > problems. I use madplay MPEG Audio Decoder 0.15.2 (beta) - Copyright (C) 2000-2004 Robert Leslie et al. to play mp3. I explicitly checked it again and don't think there is any noise. Maybe a mpg123 related issue? Far from it, I have the feeling that mp3 playback improves with -rt. In the past I had some random noise with my mp3 test song (nobody else seemed to have ;) ). With -rt I have the impression that it's better. Dirk