* Re: Re: What is the difference between Montavista Kernel Source, and Kernel.Org Source
       [not found] <mailman.1.1171760401.17466.linuxppc-embedded@ozlabs.org>
@ 2007-02-18 10:20 ` Lorenz Kolb
From: Lorenz Kolb @ 2007-02-18 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-embedded

>> I'm Going to use linux on ML403.
>>
>> I want to know, what is the difference between the linux kernel source,
>> that we download from source.mvista.com ( using git ) and the original
>> kernel source code that we download from kernel.org?
>>

> The multiple git trees hosted at source.mvista.com/git are development
> trees similar to the trees hosted at www.kernel.org/git.  Contact the
> individual developers for details on each tree.
>
> Dale Farnsworth

Oh, and I thought that development does mean something like progress.
If I'd "develop" something "new" with last change 8 months ago, I guess
my boss would not pay for that "development".

So what is the difference between kernel.org and montavista's tree for
ML403.

kernel.org is quite a bit ahead.

Personally I'd recommend Denk's 2.6.19 tree (that's a 2.6.19 from
kernel.org with some ppc specific patches, afaik) and patching the EDK
8.2 into it. That's quite a lot of work (I am just doing that at the
moment) but that's the only way to get an up-to-date system.
Currently my partner and I are working on building a minimalistic sound
driver and in some future release a ALSA compliant sound driver and a
new controller (with at least DMA support) as this is can still not be
found in MontaVista.

Lorenz Kolb

* Re: What is the difference between Montavista Kernel Source, and Kernel.Org Source
@ 2007-02-20 10:35   ` Vitaly Bordug
From: Vitaly Bordug @ 2007-02-20 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lorenz Kolb; +Cc: Mohammad Sadegh Sadri, linuxppc-embedded

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 11:20:27 +0100
Lorenz Kolb <linuxppcemb@lkmail.de> wrote:

> >> I'm Going to use linux on ML403.
> >>
> >> I want to know, what is the difference between the linux kernel source,
> >> that we download from source.mvista.com ( using git ) and the original
> >> kernel source code that we download from kernel.org?

Being brief, some Mvista patches were not merged due to various reasons
(such as say Xilinx stuff for a while) and anyone interested can still use
that work. So for instance people asking here and in other ML's can be just referred
to those git trees and obtain a full understanding what were done to get things work.

> > The multiple git trees hosted at source.mvista.com/git are development
> > trees similar to the trees hosted at www.kernel.org/git.  Contact the
> > individual developers for details on each tree.
> >
> > Dale Farnsworth
> >

> Oh, and I thought that development does mean something like progress.
> If I'd "develop" something "new" with last change 8 months ago, I guess
> my boss would not pay for that "development".

sorry, but that is not quite right. Trees there are development stuff for 4.x MVL
product (at least ppc-related), and now active development is heading for next release.

I don't think you'll find these up-to-date sources in source.mvista.com, bit not because
of internal reasons - almost all the efforts were brought up to the community and merged
to the stock kernel tree.

> So what is the difference between kernel.org and montavista's tree for
> ML403.
>
> kernel.org is quite a bit ahead.
>
> Personally I'd recommend Denk's 2.6.19 tree (that's a 2.6.19 from
> kernel.org with some ppc specific patches, afaik) and patching the EDK
> 8.2 into it. That's quite a lot of work (I am just doing that at the
> moment) but that's the only way to get an up-to-date system.
> Currently my partner and I are working on building a minimalistic sound
> driver and in some future release a ALSA compliant sound driver and a
> new controller (with at least DMA support) as this is can still not be
> found in MontaVista.

Xilinx stuff is a really interesting approach. Sorry,  but I guess "patching the EDK
8.2 into it" is not the thing maintainers are expecting to appear upstream. So, referred mvista code can
be used as a reference, but a living solution requires careful consideration. Do some investigations,
share the thoughts and you'll not be left alone.

As a side note, most of the active work is in the mainstream kernel, MV, Denx and many others actively
participating in it.

--
Sincerely,
Vitaly