* [Bluez-users] plugz: snd_pcm_hw_params_set_rate(8287) failed: Invalid argument
@ 2007-02-20  9:45 Wolfgang Wershofen
From: Wolfgang Wershofen @ 2007-02-20  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bluez-users

* Re: [Bluez-users] plugz: snd_pcm_hw_params_set_rate(8287) failed: Invalid argument
@ 2007-02-21 23:27 ` Wolfgang Wershofen
From: Wolfgang Wershofen @ 2007-02-21 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bluez-users

Am Dienstag, 20. Februar 2007 schrieb Wolfgang Wershofen:
> Hi,
>
> I'm rather new to using bluetooth devices but I successfully managed to
> get my headset running using plugz. I use it for telephony purposes with
> twinkle (http://www.twinklephone.com).
>
> I am able to hear people and talk to them during the phone call without
> problems, but I can't hear the ringtone created by twinkle on my
> headset. In the log files, I find the following error message:
>
> snd_pcm_hw_params_set_rate(8287) failed: Invalid argument

(...)
> I don't know, if this is a plugz issue or a twinkle issue and I didn't
> find anything related on the net.

Meanwhile, I got an answer from the author of twinkle as follows:

---- < snip > -----------------------------------------------------------
This error shows that setting the soundcard to an exact sample
rate of 8287 fails (this sample rate comes from ringback.wav).
Twinkle uses this call to set an exact rate:

err =3D snd_pcm_hw_params_set_rate (pcm_ptr, hw_params, sample_rate, 0)

This happens on some soundcard and is not fatal, as Twinkle
that it can suppor with this call:

err =3D snd_pcm_hw_params_set_rate (pcm_ptr, hw_params, sample_rate, -1)

The -1 argument indicates that =A0the soundcard may pick a lower
sample rate. It seems that your alsa does not accept this parameter.

I got around this problem by supplying twinkle with a wav audio file with =

exactly 8000 Hz sample rate and now it works.

But the question still remains: Why is the setting of a sample rate not =

possible with plugz?

cu
Wolfgang

-- =