* Raid server Motherboard recommendation.
@ 2015-11-12  2:45 Ram Ramesh
       [not found] ` <CAFE24U24eZx0v_HO_jHsxn2JiaGdTrcTB3RUCQ0wUcxHsDRYvA@mail.gmail.com>
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Ram Ramesh @ 2015-11-12  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Raid

All,

  It is time for my server to be upgraded and I am looking for advice. I
usually build my machine so, I am looking primarily for a motherboard
that has several sata ports that is  compatible with linux.

I looked at Asrock extreme6, but apparently it has 4 of its 10 sata
ports are on ASMedia ASM 1061 chipset which apparently is not supported
on linux per what I can find on various comments/information from the net

All others seem to be X99 or other server chipsets which I am not fond
of. I like desktop boards as the server also doubles as mythtv
backend/frontend.

Let me know if this is the wrong thread and I should ask some where else.

Regards
Ramesh

* Re: Raid server Motherboard recommendation.
       [not found] ` <CAFE24U24eZx0v_HO_jHsxn2JiaGdTrcTB3RUCQ0wUcxHsDRYvA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2015-11-12  5:04   ` Ram Ramesh
From: Ram Ramesh @ 2015-11-12  5:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Weedy; +Cc: Linux RAID

On 11/11/2015 09:00 PM, Weedy wrote:

> On 11 Nov 2015 21:46, "Ram Ramesh" <rramesh2400@gmail.com
> <mailto:rramesh2400@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> > All others seem to be X99 or other server chipsets which I am not
> fond of. I like desktop boards as the server also doubles as mythtv
> backend/frontend.
>
> ASrock has an atom board that takes ECC and has 10 or 12 sata ports.
> They should all be Intel ports.

Thanks. I guess you mean this?
> ASRock C2750D4I Mini ITX Server Motherboard FCBGA1283 DDR3 1600/1333
It does look good for what it offers. It is a server board and 6 ports
are on Marvel controller. Further this is mini ITX and possibly no video
card. Limited for mythtv purpose. Not to mention $400 :-)

@ 2015-11-12  7:29 ` Roman Mamedov
From: Roman Mamedov @ 2015-11-12  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ram Ramesh; +Cc: Linux Raid

On Wed, 11 Nov 2015 20:45:30 -0600
Ram Ramesh <rramesh2400@gmail.com> wrote:

> ports are on ASMedia ASM 1061 chipset which apparently is not supported
> on linux per what I can find on various comments/information from the net

What.

http://superuser.com/questions/363144/is-asmedia-asm1061-sata3-controller-supported-under-linux

--
With respect,
Roman

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Raid server Motherboard recommendation.
@ 2015-11-12 14:15   ` Ram Ramesh
From: Ram Ramesh @ 2015-11-12 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roman Mamedov; +Cc: Linux Raid

On 11/12/2015 01:29 AM, Roman Mamedov wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Nov 2015 20:45:30 -0600
> Ram Ramesh <rramesh2400@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> ports are on ASMedia ASM 1061 chipset which apparently is not supported
>> on linux per what I can find on various comments/information from the net
> What.
>
> http://superuser.com/questions/363144/is-asmedia-asm1061-sata3-controller-supported-under-linux

Roman,

   Thanks. I did see that. But, in newegg, there are reviews dated much
later than above complaining about ubuntu 14.04 installs failing with
ASMedia enabled. So, I concluded that it is iffy. I could not see any
consistent message of positive result. In fact, the one you quote (Nov
11) is about the only positve I could find. Many others, (more recent),
are not that positive. This worried me. Have you used it or  some one
who you know did and it worked fine? If so, please let me know the linux
distro that is successful.

Thanks

@ 2015-11-12 15:11     ` Andreas Klauer
From: Andreas Klauer @ 2015-11-12 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ram Ramesh; +Cc: Roman Mamedov, Linux Raid

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 08:15:01AM -0600, Ram Ramesh wrote:
>    Thanks. I did see that. But, in newegg, there are reviews dated much
> later than above complaining about ubuntu 14.04 installs failing with
> ASMedia enabled. So, I concluded that it is iffy. I could not see any
> consistent message of positive result.

I use ASMedia controllers myself, onboard and as standalone card.
They were cheap (much cheaper than getting a board with additional
ports using the same chipset really) and I don't need the PCIe slots
for anything else.

They work fine in AHCI mode for HDD, with mdadm software raid.

If you have a CD drive hooked to it the kernel will crash.
Until you add libata.atapi_passthru16=0 to your cmdline.

Regards
Andreas

@ 2015-11-12 16:04 ` Michael Munger
From: Michael Munger @ 2015-11-12 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Ram Ramesh', Linux Raid

>>All others seem to be X99 or other server chipsets which I am not fond of. I like desktop boards as the server also doubles as mythtv backend/frontend.

I have three of these (1 X79 Sabertooh Tuff and 2 X99 Sabertooth Tuff boards) all running like a champ with Debian. I highly recommend them.

If you want something cheaper, I have one box (rather old) that is an Intel H61M-DS2. So, whatever the current version of that family of boards is. And I have another that is a Biostar T41 HD.

* Re: Raid server Motherboard recommendation.
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2015-11-12 18:46 ` Piergiorgio Sartor
From: Piergiorgio Sartor @ 2015-11-12 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ram Ramesh; +Cc: Linux Raid

On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 08:45:30PM -0600, Ram Ramesh wrote:
> All,
>
>  It is time for my server to be upgraded and I am looking for advice. I
> usually build my machine so, I am looking primarily for a motherboard that
> has several sata ports that is  compatible with linux.
>
> I looked at Asrock extreme6, but apparently it has 4 of its 10 sata ports
> are on ASMedia ASM 1061 chipset which apparently is not supported on linux
> per what I can find on various comments/information from the net
>
> All others seem to be X99 or other server chipsets which I am not fond of. I
> like desktop boards as the server also doubles as mythtv backend/frontend.

I usually use Supermicro MB, for storage server.
Lately you can find them for quite reasoneble
price, and fully featured for servers.

You'll have to choose carefully, since they've
many similar boards, with just minor differences.

bye,

pg

> Let me know if this is the wrong thread and I should ask some where else.
>
> Regards
> Ramesh

piergiorgio

* Re: Raid server Motherboard recommendation.
@ 2015-11-13  1:51       ` Ram Ramesh
From: Ram Ramesh @ 2015-11-13  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Klauer; +Cc: Roman Mamedov, Linux Raid

On 11/12/2015 09:11 AM, Andreas Klauer wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 08:15:01AM -0600, Ram Ramesh wrote:
>>     Thanks. I did see that. But, in newegg, there are reviews dated much
>> later than above complaining about ubuntu 14.04 installs failing with
>> ASMedia enabled. So, I concluded that it is iffy. I could not see any
>> consistent message of positive result.
> I use ASMedia controllers myself, onboard and as standalone card.
> They were cheap (much cheaper than getting a board with additional
> ports using the same chipset really) and I don't need the PCIe slots
> for anything else.
>
> They work fine in AHCI mode for HDD, with mdadm software raid.
>
> If you have a CD drive hooked to it the kernel will crash.
> Until you add libata.atapi_passthru16=0 to your cmdline.
>
> Regards
> Andreas
Andreas,

   Thanks a lot. Now I feel a lot more confident trying out extreme6. I
usually put all my boot related (cd, primary sdd) on intel any way. So,
CD drive should not be a problem.

@ 2015-11-13  1:54   ` Ram Ramesh
From: Ram Ramesh @ 2015-11-13  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Munger, Linux Raid

On 11/12/2015 10:04 AM, Michael Munger wrote:
>>> All others seem to be X99 or other server chipsets which I am not fond of. I like desktop boards as the server also doubles as mythtv backend/frontend.
> I have three of these (1 X79 Sabertooh Tuff and 2 X99 Sabertooth Tuff boards) all running like a champ with Debian. I highly recommend them.
>
> If you want something cheaper, I have one box (rather old) that is an Intel H61M-DS2. So, whatever the current version of that family of boards is. And I have another that is a Biostar T41 HD.
Thanks for the suggestion. I have not built any with X99. May be I
should try. I will think about it.

@ 2016-03-16 22:38       ` Ram Ramesh
From: Ram Ramesh @ 2016-03-16 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Klauer; +Cc: Roman Mamedov, Linux Raid

On 11/12/2015 09:11 AM, Andreas Klauer wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 08:15:01AM -0600, Ram Ramesh wrote:
>>     Thanks. I did see that. But, in newegg, there are reviews dated much
>> later than above complaining about ubuntu 14.04 installs failing with
>> ASMedia enabled. So, I concluded that it is iffy. I could not see any
>> consistent message of positive result.
> I use ASMedia controllers myself, onboard and as standalone card.
> They were cheap (much cheaper than getting a board with additional
> ports using the same chipset really) and I don't need the PCIe slots
> for anything else.
>
> They work fine in AHCI mode for HDD, with mdadm software raid.
>
> If you have a CD drive hooked to it the kernel will crash.
> Until you add libata.atapi_passthru16=0 to your cmdline.
>
> Regards
> Andreas
Andreas

If you don't mind, could you share with me the standalone card that you
use?

I used SYBA SI-PEX40064
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124064)
and under load (mkfs.ext4 -c -c on just one drive) it drops the drives
and a reboot
is required to get them back. This means I cannot put raid component on this
without risking degrading the array. I believe SYBA based on Marvell
88SE9215.

BTW, have you stressed your card through a rebuild/checkarray?

@ 2016-03-17  9:52         ` Andreas Klauer
From: Andreas Klauer @ 2016-03-17  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ram Ramesh; +Cc: Roman Mamedov, Linux Raid

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 05:38:14PM -0500, Ram Ramesh wrote:
> If you don't mind, could you share with me the standalone card that you
> use?

I think this is the same I use:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-E-Express-SATA3-SATA3-0-6Gb-s-eSATA-SATA-III-Card-ASMEDIA1061-/231378681315

It has two ports, and you can choose between internal and external via 4 jumpers per port.

You also find this Asmedia chipset on a lot of Asus/Asrock mainboards that have two additional SATA ports.

> BTW, have you stressed your card through a rebuild/checkarray?

I run checkarray every day (each day a different part of disk so entire disk is covered in a week or so) with no issue.

I also mirror my single SSD disk to the HDD RAID once a week.

I can run a mkfs.ext4 -c -c on a LVM partition at a later time, but so far no issues whatsoever.

Regards
Andreas Klauer

* Re: Raid server Motherboard recommendation.
@ 2016-03-18  4:45           ` Ram Ramesh
From: Ram Ramesh @ 2016-03-18  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Klauer; +Cc: Roman Mamedov, Linux Raid

On 03/17/2016 04:52 AM, Andreas Klauer wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 05:38:14PM -0500, Ram Ramesh wrote:
>> If you don't mind, could you share with me the standalone card that you
>> use?
> I think this is the same I use:
>
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-E-Express-SATA3-SATA3-0-6Gb-s-eSATA-SATA-III-Card-ASMEDIA1061-/231378681315
>
> It has two ports, and you can choose between internal and external via 4 jumpers per port.
>
> You also find this Asmedia chipset on a lot of Asus/Asrock mainboards that have two additional SATA ports.
>
>> BTW, have you stressed your card through a rebuild/checkarray?
> I run checkarray every day (each day a different part of disk so entire disk is covered in a week or so) with no issue.
>
> I also mirror my single SSD disk to the HDD RAID once a week.
>
> I can run a mkfs.ext4 -c -c on a LVM partition at a later time, but so far no issues whatsoever.
>
> Regards
> Andreas Klauer
Thanks.

I saw similar one on Amazon too:
http://www.amazon.com/Express-Adapter-Converter-ASMEDIA-ASM1061/dp/B008BZAVVE

I am getting asrock extreme6 and that will be enough for the next
6months (eventually I want to have a total of 12). Before that time, I
will probably buy the card you have given unless I get nervous about
ebay vendor and choose amazon version.

@ 2016-03-18 22:41             ` Dave Stevens
From: Dave Stevens @ 2016-03-18 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ram Ramesh; +Cc: Andreas Klauer, Roman Mamedov, Linux Raid

Quoting Ram Ramesh <rramesh2400@gmail.com>:

> On 03/17/2016 04:52 AM, Andreas Klauer wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 05:38:14PM -0500, Ram Ramesh wrote:
>>> If you don't mind, could you share with me the standalone card that you
>>> use?
>> I think this is the same I use:
>>
>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-E-Express-SATA3-SATA3-0-6Gb-s-eSATA-SATA-III-Card-ASMEDIA1061-/231378681315
>>
>> It has two ports, and you can choose between internal and external
>> via 4 jumpers per port.
>>
>> You also find this Asmedia chipset on a lot of Asus/Asrock
>> mainboards that have two additional SATA ports.
>>
>>> BTW, have you stressed your card through a rebuild/checkarray?
>> I run checkarray every day (each day a different part of disk so
>> entire disk is covered in a week or so) with no issue.
>>
>> I also mirror my single SSD disk to the HDD RAID once a week.
>>
>> I can run a mkfs.ext4 -c -c on a LVM partition at a later time, but
>> so far no issues whatsoever.
>>
>> Regards
>> Andreas Klauer
> Thanks.
>
> I saw similar one on Amazon too:
> http://www.amazon.com/Express-Adapter-Converter-ASMEDIA-ASM1061/dp/B008BZAVVE
>
> I am getting asrock extreme6 and that will be enough for the next
> 6months (eventually I want to have a total of 12). Before that time,
> I will probably buy the card you have given unless I get nervous
> about ebay vendor and choose amazon version.
>
> Regards
> Rameshn

Hi Ramesh,

Why are you considering only hardware RAID? Software RAID is basically
free and you needn't be concerned about board manufacturers going out
of business or changing the board BIOS and so on.

Dave

"As long as politics is the shadow cast on society by big business,
the attenuation of the shadow will not change the substance."

-- John Dewey

* Re: Raid server Motherboard recommendation.
@ 2016-03-19 18:42               ` Ram Ramesh
From: Ram Ramesh @ 2016-03-19 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Stevens; +Cc: Andreas Klauer, Roman Mamedov, Linux Raid

On 03/18/2016 05:41 PM, Dave Stevens wrote:
> Quoting Ram Ramesh <rramesh2400@gmail.com>:

>>> I think this is the same I use:
>>>
>>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-E-Express-SATA3-SATA3-0-6Gb-s-eSATA-SATA-III-Card-ASMEDIA1061-/231378681315
>>>

>>> It has two ports, and you can choose between internal and external
>>> via 4 jumpers per port.
>>>
>>> You also find this Asmedia chipset on a lot of Asus/Asrock
>>> mainboards that have two additional SATA ports.

>>> I run checkarray every day (each day a different part of disk so
>>> entire disk is covered in a week or so) with no issue.
>>>
>>> I also mirror my single SSD disk to the HDD RAID once a week.
>>>
>>> I can run a mkfs.ext4 -c -c on a LVM partition at a later time, but
>>> so far no issues whatsoever.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Andreas Klauer
>> Thanks.
>>
>> I saw similar one on Amazon too:
>> http://www.amazon.com/Express-Adapter-Converter-ASMEDIA-ASM1061/dp/B008BZAVVE
>>
>> I am getting asrock extreme6 and that will be enough for the next
>> 6months (eventually I want to have a total of 12). Before that time,
>> I will probably buy the card you have given unless I get nervous
>> about ebay vendor and choose amazon version.
>>
>> Regards
>> Rameshn
>

> Hi Ramesh,
>
> Why are you considering only hardware RAID? Software RAID is basically
> free and you needn't be concerned about board manufacturers going out
> of business or changing the board BIOS and so on.
>
> Dave
>

>> --

Dave,

   Not sure what you mean. I am only talking about mdadm. I just needed
extra sata ports to hook up more drives. None of my
conversation is about hardware raid. I have never used or wanted to have
hardware raid.

Ramesh