* [RFC] introducing the Atheros L2 Fast Ethernet driver
@ 2007-12-04 22:24 Chris Snook
From: Chris Snook @ 2007-12-04 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netdev; +Cc: synrg

Hey folks --

	I've begun cleaning up the atl2 vendor driver for merging.  It's very similar
to the atl1 driver, and needs a lot of the same work, though I have already
fixed the 64-bit DMA data corrupter that atl1 users remember so fondly.  Right
now this is very raw, and there is a large amount of cosmetic work to do to make
it more maintainable, but it should generally work, at least as well as the
vendor driver does.

	While this is in pre-submission cleanup mode, the latest standalone source
tarball and patch (currently against 2.6.23) will be available here:

http://people.redhat.com/csnook/atl2/

	If you have atl2 hardware, please give this a spin.  I plan to submit the
driver for merging some time in the next month or so.  Questions, comments,
patches welcome.

	-- Chris

* Re: [RFC] introducing the Atheros L2 Fast Ethernet driver
@ 2007-12-04 22:47 ` Jeff Garzik
From: Jeff Garzik @ 2007-12-04 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Snook; +Cc: netdev, synrg

Chris Snook wrote:
> Hey folks --
>
>     I've begun cleaning up the atl2 vendor driver for merging.  It's
> very similar to the atl1 driver, and needs a lot of the same work,
> though I have already fixed the 64-bit DMA data corrupter that atl1
> users remember so fondly.  Right now this is very raw, and there is a
> large amount of cosmetic work to do to make it more maintainable, but it
> should generally work, at least as well as the vendor driver does.
>
>     While this is in pre-submission cleanup mode, the latest standalone
> source tarball and patch (currently against 2.6.23) will be available here:
>
> http://people.redhat.com/csnook/atl2/
>
>     If you have atl2 hardware, please give this a spin.  I plan to
> submit the driver for merging some time in the next month or so.
> Questions, comments, patches welcome.

Why not update atl1 for this new hardware?  Why is a new driver needed?

	Jeff

* Re: [RFC] introducing the Atheros L2 Fast Ethernet driver
@ 2007-12-05  2:06   ` Chris Snook
From: Chris Snook @ 2007-12-05  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Garzik; +Cc: netdev, synrg

Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Chris Snook wrote:
>> Hey folks --
>>
>>     I've begun cleaning up the atl2 vendor driver for merging.  It's
>> very similar to the atl1 driver, and needs a lot of the same work,
>> though I have already fixed the 64-bit DMA data corrupter that atl1
>> users remember so fondly.  Right now this is very raw, and there is a
>> large amount of cosmetic work to do to make it more maintainable, but
>> it should generally work, at least as well as the vendor driver does.
>>
>>     While this is in pre-submission cleanup mode, the latest
>> standalone source tarball and patch (currently against 2.6.23) will be
>> available here:
>>
>> http://people.redhat.com/csnook/atl2/
>>
>>     If you have atl2 hardware, please give this a spin.  I plan to
>> submit the driver for merging some time in the next month or so.
>> Questions, comments, patches welcome.
>
> Why not update atl1 for this new hardware?  Why is a new driver needed?
>
>     Jeff

They have some common hardware at the PCIe level, but at the ethernet level it's
totally different (simple, low-power 100 Mb vs. Gb with all the bells and
whistles).  We'd end up special-casing all over the place, because they have
rather different capabilities, like, say, if we tried to merge ixgb and e1000
(which have a lot of code in common).  It could be done, but I don't think it
would be beneficial.  If Atheros decides to maintain the in-tree drivers
directly, and wants to take it in that direction, I won't object, but from where
I sit, on the other side of the planet from the guys with the chips hooked up to
the hardware analyzers, separate drivers seems less painful.

	-- Chris