From: Marat Khalili <mkh@rqc.ru>
To: linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Encountered kernel bug#72811. Advice on recovery?
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2017 11:01:00 +0300	[thread overview]

> Even making such a warning conditional on kernel version is
> problematic, because many distros backport major blocks of code,
> including perhaps btrfs fixes, and the nominally 3.14 or whatever
> kernel may actually be running btrfs and other fixes from 4.14 or
> later, by the time they actually drop support for whatever LTS distro
> version and quit backporting fixes.

This information could be stored in kernel and made available for
usermode tools via some proc file. This would be very useful
_especially_ considering backporting. Raid56 could be fixed already (or
not) by the time it is implemented, but no doubt there will still be
other highly experimental capabilities judging by how things go. And
this feature itself could easily be backported.

Some machine-readable readiness level (ok/warning/override flag
needed/known but disabled in kernel) plus one-line text message
displayed to users in cases 2-4 is all we need. If proc file is missing
or doesn't contain information about specific capability, tools could
default to current behavior (AFAIR there're already warnings in some
cases). Message should tersely cover any known issues, including
stability, performance, compatibility and general readiness, and may
contain links (to btrfs wiki?) for more information. I expect whole file
to easily fit in 512 bytes.

--

With Best Regards,
Marat Khalili