* FW: FW: OMAP 3 ISP
@ 2011-05-19 11:36 Alex Gershgorin
From: Alex Gershgorin @ 2011-05-19 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'linux-media@vger.kernel.org'
  Cc: 'sakari.ailus@iki.fi',
	'laurent.pinchart@ideasonboard.com',
	'agersh@rambler.ru'

Thanks for your quick response :-)

Unfortunately, my video source has no additional interfaces.

Best Regards,
Alex Gershgorin
Embedded Software Engineer
From: Alex Gershgorin @ 2011-05-19 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Gershgorin, 'linux-media@vger.kernel.org'
  Cc: 'sakari.ailus@iki.fi',
	'laurent.pinchart@ideasonboard.com',
	'agersh@rambler.ru'

Thanks Laurent,

My video source is not the video camera and performs many other functions.
For this purpose I have RS232 port.
As for the video, it runs continuously and is not subject to control except for the power supply.

Regards,
Alex Gershgorin

Can the video source be controlled at all, or is it always running?
If it can be controlled, how do you control it?

Regards,
Laurent Pinchart

@ 2011-05-19 13:02   ` Laurent Pinchart
From: Laurent Pinchart @ 2011-05-19 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Gershgorin
  Cc: 'linux-media@vger.kernel.org',
	'sakari.ailus@iki.fi', 'agersh@rambler.ru'

Hi Alex,

On Thursday 19 May 2011 14:51:16 Alex Gershgorin wrote:
> Thanks Laurent,
>
> My video source is not the video camera and performs many other functions.
> For this purpose I have RS232 port.
> As for the video, it runs continuously and is not subject to control except
> for the power supply.

As a quick hack, you can create an I2C driver for your video source that
doesn't access the device and just returns fixed format and frame size.

The correct fix is to implement support for platform subdevs in the V4L2 core.

Laurent Pinchart

* Re: FW: OMAP 3 ISP
@ 2011-05-19 13:44     ` Michael Jones
From: Michael Jones @ 2011-05-19 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laurent Pinchart
  Cc: Alex Gershgorin, 'linux-media@vger.kernel.org',

On 05/19/2011 03:02 PM, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> On Thursday 19 May 2011 14:51:16 Alex Gershgorin wrote:
>> Thanks Laurent,
>>
>> My video source is not the video camera and performs many other functions.
>> For this purpose I have RS232 port.
>> As for the video, it runs continuously and is not subject to control except
>> for the power supply.
>
> As a quick hack, you can create an I2C driver for your video source that
> doesn't access the device and just returns fixed format and frame size.
>
> The correct fix is to implement support for platform subdevs in the V4L2 core.

I recently implemented support for platform V4L2 subdevs.  Now that it
sounds like others would be interested in this, I will try to polish it
up and submit the patch for review in the next week or so.

-Michael

MATRIX VISION GmbH, Talstrasse 16, DE-71570 Oppenweiler
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Gerhard Thullner, Werner Armingeon, Uwe Furtner

* Re: FW: OMAP 3 ISP
@ 2011-05-19 13:56       ` Laurent Pinchart
From: Laurent Pinchart @ 2011-05-19 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Jones
  Cc: Alex Gershgorin, 'linux-media@vger.kernel.org',
	'sakari.ailus@iki.fi', 'agersh@rambler.ru'

Hi Michael,

On Thursday 19 May 2011 15:44:18 Michael Jones wrote:
> On 05/19/2011 03:02 PM, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> > On Thursday 19 May 2011 14:51:16 Alex Gershgorin wrote:
> >> Thanks Laurent,
> >>
> >> My video source is not the video camera and performs many other
> >> functions. For this purpose I have RS232 port.
> >> As for the video, it runs continuously and is not subject to control
> >> except for the power supply.
> >
> > As a quick hack, you can create an I2C driver for your video source that
> > doesn't access the device and just returns fixed format and frame size.
> >
> > The correct fix is to implement support for platform subdevs in the V4L2
> > core.
>
> I recently implemented support for platform V4L2 subdevs.  Now that it
> sounds like others would be interested in this, I will try to polish it
> up and submit the patch for review in the next week or so.

Great. This has been discussed during the V4L meeting in Warsaw, here are a
couple of pointers, to make sure we're going in the same direction.

Bridge drivers should not care whether the subdev sits on an I2C, SPI,
platform or other bus. To achieve that, an abstraction layer must be provided
by the V4L2 core. Here's what I got in one of my trees:

/* V4L2 core */

struct v4l2_subdev_i2c_board_info {
        struct i2c_board_info *board_info;
        int i2c_adapter_id;
};

enum v4l2_subdev_bus_type {
        V4L2_SUBDEV_BUS_TYPE_NONE,
        V4L2_SUBDEV_BUS_TYPE_I2C,
        V4L2_SUBDEV_BUS_TYPE_SPI,
};

struct v4l2_subdev_board_info {
        enum v4l2_subdev_bus_type type;
        union {
                struct v4l2_subdev_i2c_board_info i2c;
                struct spi_board_info *spi;
        } info;
};

/* OMAP3 ISP  */

struct isp_v4l2_subdevs_group {
        struct v4l2_subdev_board_info *subdevs;
        enum isp_interface_type interface;
        union {
                struct isp_parallel_platform_data parallel;
                struct isp_ccp2_platform_data ccp2;
                struct isp_csi2_platform_data csi2;
        } bus; /* gcc < 4.6.0 chokes on anonymous union initializers */
};

struct isp_platform_data {
        struct isp_v4l2_subdevs_group *subdevs;
};

The V4L2 core would need to provide a function to register a subdev based on a
v4l2_subdev_board_info structure.

Is that in line with what you've done ? I can provide a patch that implements
this for I2C and SPI, and let you add platform subdevs if that can help you.

Laurent Pinchart

* Re: FW: OMAP 3 ISP
@ 2011-05-19 14:24         ` Michael Jones
From: Michael Jones @ 2011-05-19 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laurent Pinchart
  Cc: Alex Gershgorin, 'linux-media@vger.kernel.org',

On 05/19/2011 03:56 PM, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> On Thursday 19 May 2011 15:44:18 Michael Jones wrote:

>>> As a quick hack, you can create an I2C driver for your video source that
>>> doesn't access the device and just returns fixed format and frame size.
>>>
>>> The correct fix is to implement support for platform subdevs in the V4L2
>>> core.
>>
>> I recently implemented support for platform V4L2 subdevs.  Now that it
>> sounds like others would be interested in this, I will try to polish it
>> up and submit the patch for review in the next week or so.
>
> Great. This has been discussed during the V4L meeting in Warsaw, here are a
> couple of pointers, to make sure we're going in the same direction.
>
> Bridge drivers should not care whether the subdev sits on an I2C, SPI,
> platform or other bus. To achieve that, an abstraction layer must be provided
> by the V4L2 core. Here's what I got in one of my trees:
>
> /* V4L2 core */
>
> struct v4l2_subdev_i2c_board_info {
>         struct i2c_board_info *board_info;
>         int i2c_adapter_id;
> };
>
> enum v4l2_subdev_bus_type {
>         V4L2_SUBDEV_BUS_TYPE_NONE,
>         V4L2_SUBDEV_BUS_TYPE_I2C,
>         V4L2_SUBDEV_BUS_TYPE_SPI,
> };
>
> struct v4l2_subdev_board_info {
>         enum v4l2_subdev_bus_type type;
>         union {
>                 struct v4l2_subdev_i2c_board_info i2c;
>                 struct spi_board_info *spi;
>         } info;
> };
>
> /* OMAP3 ISP  */
>
> struct isp_v4l2_subdevs_group {
>         struct v4l2_subdev_board_info *subdevs;
>         enum isp_interface_type interface;
>         union {
>                 struct isp_parallel_platform_data parallel;
>                 struct isp_ccp2_platform_data ccp2;
>                 struct isp_csi2_platform_data csi2;
>         } bus; /* gcc < 4.6.0 chokes on anonymous union initializers */
> };
>
> struct isp_platform_data {
>         struct isp_v4l2_subdevs_group *subdevs;
> };
>
> The V4L2 core would need to provide a function to register a subdev based on a
> v4l2_subdev_board_info structure.
>
> Is that in line with what you've done ? I can provide a patch that implements
> this for I2C and SPI, and let you add platform subdevs if that can help you.

Hi Laurent,

Yes, that looks very similar to what I've done.  I was going to submit
SPI support, too, which I also have, but it sounds like you've already
done that?  I'm currently still using a 2.6.38 tree based on an older
media branch of yours, so I'm not familiar with any new changes there yet.

I just need to know what I should use as my baseline.  I don't need to
step on toes and submit something you've already done, so maybe you want
to point me to a branch with the SPI stuff, and I'll just put the
platform stuff on top of it?

@ 2011-05-19 14:27           ` Laurent Pinchart
From: Laurent Pinchart @ 2011-05-19 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Jones
  Cc: Alex Gershgorin, 'linux-media@vger.kernel.org',

On Thursday 19 May 2011 16:24:29 Michael Jones wrote:
> On 05/19/2011 03:56 PM, Laurent Pinchart wrote:

> >> I recently implemented support for platform V4L2 subdevs.  Now that it
> >> sounds like others would be interested in this, I will try to polish it
> >> up and submit the patch for review in the next week or so.
> >
> > Great. This has been discussed during the V4L meeting in Warsaw, here are
> > a couple of pointers, to make sure we're going in the same direction.
> >
> > Bridge drivers should not care whether the subdev sits on an I2C, SPI,
> > platform or other bus. To achieve that, an abstraction layer must be
> > provided by the V4L2 core. Here's what I got in one of my trees:
> >
> > /* V4L2 core */
> >
> > struct v4l2_subdev_i2c_board_info {
> >
> >         struct i2c_board_info *board_info;
> >         int i2c_adapter_id;
> >
> > };
> >
> > enum v4l2_subdev_bus_type {
> >
> >         V4L2_SUBDEV_BUS_TYPE_NONE,
> >         V4L2_SUBDEV_BUS_TYPE_I2C,
> >         V4L2_SUBDEV_BUS_TYPE_SPI,
> >
> > };
> >
> > struct v4l2_subdev_board_info {
> >
> >         enum v4l2_subdev_bus_type type;
> >         union {
> >
> >                 struct v4l2_subdev_i2c_board_info i2c;
> >                 struct spi_board_info *spi;
> >
> >         } info;
> >
> > };
> >
> > /* OMAP3 ISP  */
> >
> > struct isp_v4l2_subdevs_group {
> >
> >         struct v4l2_subdev_board_info *subdevs;
> >         enum isp_interface_type interface;
> >         union {
> >
> >                 struct isp_parallel_platform_data parallel;
> >                 struct isp_ccp2_platform_data ccp2;
> >                 struct isp_csi2_platform_data csi2;
> >
> >         } bus; /* gcc < 4.6.0 chokes on anonymous union initializers */
> >
> > };
> >
> > struct isp_platform_data {
> >
> >         struct isp_v4l2_subdevs_group *subdevs;
> >
> > };
> >
> > The V4L2 core would need to provide a function to register a subdev based
> > on a v4l2_subdev_board_info structure.
> >
> > Is that in line with what you've done ? I can provide a patch that
> > implements this for I2C and SPI, and let you add platform subdevs if
> > that can help you.
>
> Hi Laurent,
>
> Yes, that looks very similar to what I've done.  I was going to submit
> SPI support, too, which I also have, but it sounds like you've already
> done that?  I'm currently still using a 2.6.38 tree based on an older
> media branch of yours, so I'm not familiar with any new changes there yet.
>
> I just need to know what I should use as my baseline.

Please use mainline, now that the OMAP3 ISP driver has been merged :-)

> I don't need to step on toes and submit something you've already done, so
> maybe you want to point me to a branch with the SPI stuff, and I'll just put
> the platform stuff on top of it?

I'll send the SPI support patches to linux-media, as they haven't been
reviewed publicly yet.

Laurent Pinchart

* RE: FW: OMAP 3 ISP
@ 2011-05-19 15:13             ` Alex Gershgorin
From: Alex Gershgorin @ 2011-05-19 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Laurent Pinchart', Michael Jones
  Cc: 'linux-media@vger.kernel.org',
	'sakari.ailus@iki.fi', 'agersh@rambler.ru'

Hi Michael,

I liked the idea of a driver that returns fixed format and frame size.
It certainly could solve my problem.
On the other hand, from your correspondence to Laurent, I realized that it was already done work on improving V4L2 subdevs.
Michael patch of which you speak will help solve my problem without writing a special driver?
Advise in what direction to go in my case?

Regards,

Alex Gershgorin

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6135 (20110519) __________

http://www.eset.com

@ 2011-05-19 15:32               ` Sakari Ailus
From: Sakari Ailus @ 2011-05-19 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Gershgorin
  Cc: 'Laurent Pinchart',
	Michael Jones, 'linux-media@vger.kernel.org',
	'agersh@rambler.ru'

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 06:13:28PM +0300, Alex Gershgorin wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> I liked the idea of a driver that returns fixed format and frame size.
> It certainly could solve my problem.
> On the other hand, from your correspondence to Laurent, I realized that it was already done work on improving V4L2 subdevs.
> Michael patch of which you speak will help solve my problem without writing a special driver?
> Advise in what direction to go in my case?

Hi Alex,

You still need a driver, but with the patches you can easily implement that
as a driver for a platform device. The driver itself wouldn't have to do
much more than to return a fixed format and size when queried.

--

@ 2011-05-24 14:11                 ` Alex Gershgorin
From: Alex Gershgorin @ 2011-05-24 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Sakari Ailus'
  Cc: 'Laurent Pinchart',
	Michael Jones, 'linux-media@vger.kernel.org',
	'agersh@rambler.ru'

Hi All,

I wrote a simple V4L2 subdevs I2C driver which returns a fixed format and size.
I do not understand who reads these parameters, user application through IOCTL or OMAP3 ISP driver uses them regardless of the user space application?

Another question, if I need to change polarity of Vertical or Horizontal synchronization signals, according struct isp_parallel_platform_data, is it not possible?

struct isp_parallel_platform_data {
        unsigned int data_lane_shift:2;
        unsigned int clk_pol:1;
        unsigned int bridge:4;
};

Regards,
Alex Gershgorin

--
Sakari Ailus
sakari dot ailus at iki dot fi

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6135 (20110519) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6147 (20110524) __________

http://www.eset.com

* Re: FW: OMAP 3 ISP
@ 2011-05-25  7:22                   ` Laurent Pinchart
From: Laurent Pinchart @ 2011-05-25  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Gershgorin
  Cc: 'Sakari Ailus',

On Tuesday 24 May 2011 16:11:16 Alex Gershgorin wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I wrote a simple V4L2 subdevs I2C driver which returns a fixed format and
> size. I do not understand who reads these parameters, user application
> through IOCTL or OMAP3 ISP driver uses them regardless of the user space
> application?

Both. media-ctl (and other userspace applications) can use them, and the OMAP3
ISP driver retrieves them when starting the video stream to make sure that the
formats at the "sensor" output and at the CCDC input match.

> Another question, if I need to change polarity of Vertical or Horizontal
> synchronization signals, according struct isp_parallel_platform_data, is
> it not possible?
>
> struct isp_parallel_platform_data {
>         unsigned int data_lane_shift:2;
>         unsigned int clk_pol:1;
>         unsigned int bridge:4;
> };

Could you please try the following patch ?

From: Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@ideasonboard.com>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 09:16:28 +0200
Subject: [PATCH] omap3isp: Support configurable HS/VS polarities

Add two fields to the ISP parallel platform data to set the HS and VS
signals polarities.

Signed-off-by: Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@ideasonboard.com>
---
 drivers/media/video/omap3isp/isp.h     |    6 ++++++
 drivers/media/video/omap3isp/ispccdc.c |    4 ++--

diff --git a/drivers/media/video/omap3isp/isp.h b/drivers/media/video/omap3isp/isp.h
index 2620c40..529e582 100644
--- a/drivers/media/video/omap3isp/isp.h
+++ b/drivers/media/video/omap3isp/isp.h
@@ -139,6 +139,10 @@ struct isp_reg {
  *		3 - CAMEXT[13:6] -> CAM[7:0]
  * @clk_pol: Pixel clock polarity
  *		0 - Non Inverted, 1 - Inverted
+ * @hs_pol: Horizontal synchronization polarity
+ *		0 - Active high, 1 - Active low
+ * @vs_pol: Vertical synchronization polarity
+ *		0 - Active high, 1 - Active low
  * @bridge: CCDC Bridge input control
  *		ISPCTRL_PAR_BRIDGE_DISABLE - Disable
  *		ISPCTRL_PAR_BRIDGE_LENDIAN - Little endian
@@ -147,6 +151,8 @@ struct isp_reg {
 struct isp_parallel_platform_data {
 	unsigned int data_lane_shift:2;
 	unsigned int clk_pol:1;
+	unsigned int hs_pol:1;
+	unsigned int vs_pol:1;
 	unsigned int bridge:4;
 };

diff --git a/drivers/media/video/omap3isp/ispccdc.c b/drivers/media/video/omap3isp/ispccdc.c
index 39d501b..5e742b2 100644
--- a/drivers/media/video/omap3isp/ispccdc.c
+++ b/drivers/media/video/omap3isp/ispccdc.c
@@ -1148,6 +1148,8 @@ static void ccdc_configure(struct isp_ccdc_device *ccdc)
 	omap3isp_configure_bridge(isp, ccdc->input, pdata, shift);

 	ccdc->syncif.datsz = depth_out;
+	ccdc->syncif.hdpol = pdata ? pdata-> hs_pol : 0;
+	ccdc->syncif.vdpol = pdata ? pdata-> vs_pol : 0;
 	ccdc_config_sync_if(ccdc, &ccdc->syncif);

 	/* CCDC_PAD_SINK */
@@ -2257,8 +2259,6 @@ int omap3isp_ccdc_init(struct isp_device *isp)
 	ccdc->syncif.fldout = 0;
 	ccdc->syncif.fldpol = 0;
 	ccdc->syncif.fldstat = 0;
-	ccdc->syncif.hdpol = 0;
-	ccdc->syncif.vdpol = 0;

 	ccdc->clamp.oblen = 0;
 	ccdc->clamp.dcsubval = 0;
--
1.7.3.4

Laurent Pinchart

* RE: FW: OMAP 3 ISP
@ 2011-05-25  9:58                     ` Alex Gershgorin
From: Alex Gershgorin @ 2011-05-25  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Laurent Pinchart'
  Cc: 'Sakari Ailus',
	Michael Jones, 'linux-media@vger.kernel.org',
	'agersh@rambler.ru'

Hi Laurent,

Unfortunately, at this point I have no Hardware platforms, but in the
next week we should get Zoom OMAP35 Torpedo evaluation kit
and then I can test it.

I have already applied this patch on the last main line
Kernel version (2.6.39) and continue to work on the platform device for Zoom OMAP35xx Torpedo.

Thanks for this patch :-)

Regards,
Alex Gershgorin

From: Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@ideasonboard.com>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 09:16:28 +0200

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6149 (20110524) __________

http://www.eset.com

@ 2011-05-25 10:01                       ` Laurent Pinchart
From: Laurent Pinchart @ 2011-05-25 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Gershgorin
  Cc: 'Sakari Ailus',

On Wednesday 25 May 2011 11:58:58 Alex Gershgorin wrote:
> Hi Laurent,
>
> Unfortunately, at this point I have no Hardware platforms, but in the
> next week we should get Zoom OMAP35 Torpedo evaluation kit
> and then I can test it.
>
> I have already applied this patch on the last main line
> Kernel version (2.6.39) and continue to work on the platform device for
> Zoom OMAP35xx Torpedo.
>
> Thanks for this patch :-)

You're welcome. Please let me know if it works for you when you'll receive the
hardware. I will then push the patch to mainline.

Laurent Pinchart

* RE: FW: OMAP 3 ISP
@ 2011-05-25 10:54                         ` Alex Gershgorin
From: Alex Gershgorin @ 2011-05-25 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Laurent Pinchart'
  Cc: 'Sakari Ailus',
	Michael Jones, 'linux-media@vger.kernel.org',
	'agersh@rambler.ru'

Of course, in any case, you'll be the first who will know the results :-)

Regards,

Alex Gershgorin

On Wednesday 25 May 2011 11:58:58 Alex Gershgorin wrote:
> Hi Laurent,
>
> Unfortunately, at this point I have no Hardware platforms, but in the
> next week we should get Zoom OMAP35 Torpedo evaluation kit
> and then I can test it.
>
> I have already applied this patch on the last main line
> Kernel version (2.6.39) and continue to work on the platform device for
> Zoom OMAP35xx Torpedo.
>
> Thanks for this patch :-)

You're welcome. Please let me know if it works for you when you'll receive the
hardware. I will then push the patch to mainline.

Laurent Pinchart

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6149 (20110524) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6150 (20110525) __________

http://www.eset.com

* RE: FW: OMAP 3 ISP
@ 2011-06-28  7:47                         ` Alex Gershgorin
From: Alex Gershgorin @ 2011-06-28  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Laurent Pinchart'
  Cc: 'Sakari Ailus',
	Michael Jones, 'linux-media@vger.kernel.org',
	'agersh@rambler.ru'

Hi Laurent,

I recently got the Zoom OMAP35xx Torpedo and began testing OMAP3ISP.
Currently I have a problem I can't solve.
See Message from booting Kernel:

Linux media interface: v0.10
Linux video capture interface: v2.00
omap3isp omap3isp: Revision 2.0 found
omap-iommu omap-iommu.0: isp: version 1.1
isp_register_subdev_group: Unable to register subdev

What could be the problem, why sub device can't pass a registration?

Thanks,

Alex Gershgorin

On Wednesday 25 May 2011 11:58:58 Alex Gershgorin wrote:
> Hi Laurent,
>
> Unfortunately, at this point I have no Hardware platforms, but in the
> next week we should get Zoom OMAP35 Torpedo evaluation kit
> and then I can test it.
>
> I have already applied this patch on the last main line
> Kernel version (2.6.39) and continue to work on the platform device for
> Zoom OMAP35xx Torpedo.
>
> Thanks for this patch :-)

You're welcome. Please let me know if it works for you when you'll receive the
hardware. I will then push the patch to mainline.

Laurent Pinchart

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6149 (20110524) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6245 (20110627) __________

http://www.eset.com

* Re: FW: OMAP 3 ISP
@ 2011-06-28 22:35                           ` Laurent Pinchart
From: Laurent Pinchart @ 2011-06-28 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Gershgorin
  Cc: 'Sakari Ailus',

On Tuesday 28 June 2011 09:47:07 Alex Gershgorin wrote:
> Hi Laurent,
>
> I recently got the Zoom OMAP35xx Torpedo and began testing OMAP3ISP.
> Currently I have a problem I can't solve.
> See Message from booting Kernel:
>
> Linux media interface: v0.10
> Linux video capture interface: v2.00
> omap3isp omap3isp: Revision 2.0 found
> omap-iommu omap-iommu.0: isp: version 1.1
> isp_register_subdev_group: Unable to register subdev
>
> What could be the problem, why sub device can't pass a registration?

This means the v4l2_i2c_new_subdev_board() failed. Do you have a driver for
the subdev ? Does it get loaded ? Does its probe() function get called ?

Laurent Pinchart

* Re: FW: OMAP 3 ISP
       [not found]     ` <CA+2YH7s9F+4WQuQ9zioCetpJ5f8_3pihf5wcNVp5SjLuiq3k3g@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2012-05-29 10:22       ` Laurent Pinchart
From: Laurent Pinchart @ 2012-05-29 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Enrico; +Cc: jean-philippe francois, Alex Gershgorin, Ritesh, linux-media

Hi Enrico,

On Tuesday 29 May 2012 12:08:43 Enrico wrote:
> On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 10:15 AM, jean-philippe francois wrote:
> > 2012/5/29 Alex Gershgorin <alexg@meprolight.com>:
> >> Hi Ritesh,
> >>
> >> Please send in the future CC to laurent.pinchart@ideasonboard.com and
> >> linux-media@vger.kernel.org>>
> >>
> >> You have relevant Kernel boot messages?
> >> You can also find information in media archives OMAP 3 ISP thread.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Alex
> >
> > Hi, I had a similar problem with a 2.6.39 kernel, that was solved with
> > a 3.2 kernel.
> > When compiled as a module, the probe function was called, but was failing
> > later.
> >
> > The single message I would see was "ISP revision x.y found" [1]
> >
> > When compiled in the kernel image, everything was fine.
> >

> > [1]
> > http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v2.6.39.4/drivers/media/video/omap3isp/isp.c#L2
> > 103
> I think with kernel version 3.0 i had the same problem, i had to
> modprobe iommu2 before omap3isp, removing (if already loaded) iommu.
> Probably later on it was fixed and you don't need that anymore.

That's right. The OMAP3 ISP driver indirectly depended on the iommu2 module,
which wasn't loaded automatically. Nowadays OMAP IOMMU support is a boolean
option, so it will get compiled in the kernel directly.

Laurent Pinchart

* Re: FW: OMAP 3 ISP
@ 2012-05-29  8:15   ` jean-philippe francois
       [not found]     ` <CA+2YH7s9F+4WQuQ9zioCetpJ5f8_3pihf5wcNVp5SjLuiq3k3g@mail.gmail.com>
From: jean-philippe francois @ 2012-05-29  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Gershgorin; +Cc: Ritesh, laurent.pinchart, linux-media

2012/5/29 Alex Gershgorin <alexg@meprolight.com>:

> Hi Ritesh,
>
> Please send in the future CC to laurent.pinchart@ideasonboard.com and linux-media@vger.kernel.org
>
>> Hi Alex,
>> I also started working with OMAP35x torpedo kit, I successful compile Linux 3.0 and ported on the board.
>> Device is booting correctly but probe function in omap3isp module not getting called.
>> Please help me
>
> You have relevant Kernel boot messages?
> You can also find information in media archives OMAP 3 ISP thread.
>
> Regards,
> Alex

Hi, I had a similar problem with a 2.6.39 kernel, that was solved with
a 3.2 kernel.
When compiled as a module, the probe function was called, but was failing later.

The single message I would see was "ISP revision x.y found" [1]

When compiled in the kernel image, everything was fine.

[1] http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v2.6.39.4/drivers/media/video/omap3isp/isp.c#L2103

Jean-Philippe François

* RE: FW: OMAP 3 ISP
       [not found] <B9D34818-CE30-4125-997B-71C50CFC4F0D@yahoo.com>
@ 2012-05-29  7:08 ` Alex Gershgorin
From: Alex Gershgorin @ 2012-05-29  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ritesh; +Cc: laurent.pinchart, linux-media

@ 2011-06-29 16:34   ` Alex Gershgorin
From: Alex Gershgorin @ 2011-06-29 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Laurent Pinchart'
  Cc: 'Sakari Ailus', 'Michael Jones',
	'linux-media@vger.kernel.org',
	'agersh@rambler.ru'

Hi Laurent

Good news!
Now registration is successful, many thanks.
Now I can move on to the next stage of work.

Regards,

Alex Gershgorin

On Wednesday 29 June 2011 15:50:54 Alex Gershgorin wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 29, 2011 2:33 PM Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> > On Wednesday 29 June 2011 13:18:10 Alex Gershgorin wrote:
> > >
> > > From previous correspondence:
> > >
> > > My video source is not the video camera and performs many other
> > > functions.
> > >
> > > For this purpose I have RS232 port.
> > >
> > > As for the video, it runs continuously and is not subject to control
> > > except for the power supply.

> > > Yes, I wrote a simple driver, now it looks like this:
> > >
> > > [    2.029754] Linux media interface: v0.10
> > > [    2.034851] Linux video capture interface: v2.00
> > > [    2.041015] My_probe I2C subdev probed

[snip]

> > > [    2.047058] omap3isp omap3isp: Revision 2.0 found
> > > [    2.052307] omap-iommu omap-iommu.0: isp: version 1.1
> > > [    2.069854] i2c i2c-3: Failed to register i2c client my-te at 0x21
> > > -16)
> >
> > Make sure you don't already have an I2C device at address 0x21 on the same
> > bus.

[snip]

> Here is my platform device registration
>
> #define SENSOR_I2C_BUS_NUM    3
>
> static struct i2c_board_info __initdata camera_i2c_devices[] = {
>       {
>              I2C_BOARD_INFO("my-te", 0x21),
>       },
> };
>
> static struct isp_subdev_i2c_board_info camera_i2c_subdevs[] = {
>       {
>             .board_info = &camera_i2c_devices[0],
>             .i2c_adapter_id = SENSOR_I2C_BUS_NUM,
>       },
>       { NULL, 0, },
> };
>
> static struct isp_v4l2_subdevs_group camera_subdevs[] = {
>       {
>             .subdevs = camera_i2c_subdevs,
>             .interface = ISP_INTERFACE_PARALLEL,
>             .bus = {
>                   .parallel = {
>                         .data_lane_shift = 1,
>                         .clk_pol = 0,
>                         .hs_pol  = 0,
>                         .vs_pol  = 0,
>                         .bridge = ISPCTRL_PAR_BRIDGE_DISABLE,
>                   }
>             },
>       },
>       {},
> };
>
> static struct isp_platform_data isp_platform_data = {
>       .subdevs = camera_subdevs,
> };
>
> int __init camera_init(void)
> {
> omap_register_i2c_bus(3,camera_i2c_devices,ARRAY_SIZE(camera_i2c_devices))
> ;

Doesn't omap_register_i2c_bus() take 4 arguments ?

Anyway, you must not register the I2C devices here, they will be registered by
the OMAP3 ISP driver. You still need to register the bus though, with the last
two arguments sets to NULL, 0.

> return omap3_init_camera(&isp_platform_data);
> }

Laurent Pinchart

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6250 (20110629) __________

http://www.eset.com

@ 2011-06-29 16:16   ` Alex Gershgorin
From: Alex Gershgorin @ 2011-06-29 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Laurent Pinchart'
  Cc: 'Sakari Ailus', 'Michael Jones',
	'linux-media@vger.kernel.org',
	'agersh@rambler.ru'

       [not found] <4875438356E7CA4A8F2145FCD3E61C0B2A5D211E43@MEP-EXCH.meprolight.com>
@ 2011-06-29 15:55 ` Laurent Pinchart
From: Laurent Pinchart @ 2011-06-29 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Gershgorin
  Cc: 'Sakari Ailus', 'Michael Jones',
> [...]

>                         .vs_pol  = 0,
>                         .bridge = ISPCTRL_PAR_BRIDGE_DISABLE,
>                   }
>             },
>       },
>       {},
> };
>
> static struct isp_platform_data isp_platform_data = {
>       .subdevs = camera_subdevs,
> };
>
> int __init camera_init(void)
> {
> omap_register_i2c_bus(3,camera_i2c_devices,ARRAY_SIZE(camera_i2c_devices))
> ;

Doesn't omap_register_i2c_bus() take 4 arguments ?

Anyway, you must not register the I2C devices here, they will be registered by
the OMAP3 ISP driver. You still need to register the bus though, with the last
two arguments sets to NULL, 0.

> return omap3_init_camera(&isp_platform_data);

Laurent Pinchart

* Re: FW: OMAP 3 ISP
       [not found] <4875438356E7CA4A8F2145FCD3E61C0B2A5D211E42@MEP-EXCH.meprolight.com>
@ 2011-06-29 11:32 ` Laurent Pinchart
From: Laurent Pinchart @ 2011-06-29 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Gershgorin
  Cc: 'Sakari Ailus', 'Michael Jones',
	'linux-media@vger.kernel.org',
	'agersh@rambler.ru'

Hi Alex,

On Wednesday 29 June 2011 13:18:10 Alex Gershgorin wrote:
> Hi Laurent,
>
> From previous correspondence:
>
> My video source is not the video camera and performs many other functions.
> For this purpose I have RS232 port.
> As for the video, it runs continuously and is not subject to control except
> for the power supply.
>
> > As a quick hack, you can create an I2C driver for your video source that
> > doesn't access the device and just returns fixed format and frame size.
> >
> > The correct fix is to implement support for platform subdevs in the V4L2
> > core.
>
> Yes, I wrote a simple driver, now it looks like this:
>
> [    2.029754] Linux media interface: v0.10
> [    2.034851] Linux video capture interface: v2.00
> [    2.041015] My_probe I2C subdev probed

Are you sure that's the probe method ? Isn't it the init method ?

> [    2.047058] omap3isp omap3isp: Revision 2.0 found
> [    2.052307] omap-iommu omap-iommu.0: isp: version 1.1
> [    2.069854] i2c i2c-3: Failed to register i2c client my-te at 0x21 -16)

Make sure you don't already have an I2C device at address 0x21 on the same
bus.

> [    2.077301] isp_register_subdev_group: Unable to register subdev my-te
>
> I see now that, subdev probed but the same problem stays.
>
> Really I do not have a physical I2C address 0x21, he was selected for
> registration
>
> may be a 'problem in this?

Laurent Pinchart