From: Alexander Kanavin <alexander.kanavin@linux.intel.com>
To: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer
	<openembedded-core@lists.openembedded.org>,
	Richard Purdie <richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org>,
	"Burton, Ross" <ross.burton@intel.com>,
	Paul Eggleton <paul.eggleton@intel.com>,
	Leonardo Sandoval <leonardo.sandoval.gonzalez@intel.com>
Subject: automatic recipe upgrades - making them better and sweeter
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2017 13:50:05 +0200	[thread overview]

Hello,

I've been asked by RP to look into making automatic package upgrades
work better, so here's what I'd like to improve:

1) when using 'devtool upgrade', remove the need to specify version and
source revision on the command line, if we want to upgrade to the latest
release. There is now distrodata/checkpkg code in place to determine
both, so 'devtool upgrade <recipe>' could simply default to that.

2) help with LICENSE checksum changes a bit more; both devtool and AUH
have some code for this, so I want to review what they do, and
consolidate it in a single place. Maintainers should be able to see a
diff of what the changes are.

3) 'devtool finish' currently does not handle the recipe upgrade
situation well: the new recipe and patches are placed side by side with
the current recipe. The old stuff should be removed, and a tentative
commit should be created. So maybe add a 'devtool finish-upgrade'.

4) AUH should be stripped to its core business: sending useful emails to
maintainers, and leave the rest to devtool. If 'devtool upgrade'
succeeded, then corresponding patches should be attached, otherwise (if
patch rebase failed, or a fetch issue), at least it could tell what
happened and suggest a devtool upgrade command to get started. Any
duplicate functionality for upgrading (stuff that is also in devtool)
should be removed.

Anything I missed? Comments?

Thanks,
Alex